When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

512 results found

1. Please make live paint more convenient!

To fill in my drawing outlines or an object, I have to select the section of outlines or shapes first, which is dumb, because in selecting the outlines or shapes, the color fill automatically changes to the color whatever is selected (the color of the stroke or shape's outline, that I want to fill in with a different color. This is made even more frustrating when I have to use the eyedropper to select a fill color, only for my color section to immediately change, upon reselecting the shape outlines I intended to fill in.

It is also a pain…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Interpolated Anchor Move

Similar to a font developing tool, many lettering illustrations involve maintaining the stress of a curve while moving anchors. So with this tool, you'd be able to move an anchor point and the curve handles adjacent to the anchor would move proportionally to make the curve look similar despite the anchor moving. This could be a global setting that is enabled in preferences.

Here's a better breakdown of how the feature could behave:
    https://exljbris.wordpress.com/2008/07/23/wonderful_tool_for_type_designers/

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Turn any object into an eraser head.

You can quickly delete everything inside/outside an object. Right click could make it rotate while moving. Make the option to leave a fill underneath and create a new object. I think it is time to move on from just a circle. Maybe this could belong to the shaper tool.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Remove overlapping lines

Exported CAD drawings often contain many overlapping lines.
    This makes such drawings difficult and cumbersome to work with, and often makes Illustrator hang.
    The possibility to select an entire group of objects and, via a tool in the Object menu, remove all lines which extend parallel to and within a certain threshold distance from another line, would be great.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Bring back selection tool shapes and straight lasso

Taking these selection tools away has slowed down my work....I REGRET updating!

I used to be able to use the box selection tool to make square and rectangle shaped edits, there was a circle and pointed selection tool AND there was a straight line lasso WHY DID YOU REMOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The tools you are describing exist in Photoshop. There were never tools like these in Illustrator, you must be confusing these two apps together.

However, I think Ai could benefit from having circular marquee and polygonal lasso, so please upvote this, if you want to see them developed.

6. Better implementation of Actions

Do a better implementation of Actions. More like Photoshop.

Some of the menu itens are not recorded in Actions, and others even with the Insert Menu item, still won't record the custom settings of it, and everytime you play that action, it will bring default values to it and open context menu to you to reenter parameters.
    This must be implemented correctly, direclty with the record and not that patch "Insert Menu Item" option that exist today.
    You should only hit record, do the menu options (even the Effects ones), and it must record it with all custom config you…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Color Picker digits round up

Hi, I like Illustrator for many reasons, but I find one little thing is annoying. So often I need to prepare the design files for my printer. And because the color picker doesn't have the feature of auto rounding up the digits, the color I used always has decimals, instead of a rounded up number in CMYK mode. It is not easy for the printer to process these color data. I have to round up each color manually, which is time-consuming and I might miss some elements. So is it possible to have the color picker have an option of…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Scale Obect or group of objects base on two reference points (similar as in CAD)

This is useful when you need to exactly match the scale of two objects or especially group of objects. Say you have changed the scale in one file but have received a new file from a client that is in the original scale. You want to quickly match the scale change. If you have at least one reference line that hasn't changed, you can pick two reference points on the new object(s) and then the two matching points on the scaled file. This matches the the scale exactly. This can also be used in many other ways.
    https://www.thesourcecad.com/reference-scale-rotate/

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Don't stop Duplicating when ALT is released !!

When using Select and Direct Selection Tools, you can duplicate elements by holding ALT-key down.

But if you release the ALT-key before you release the Mouse Button, the duplicating ceases . This differs from how most of the other applications behaves. For example in Photoshop, duplicating continues even if you release the ALT before you release mouse button.

How this works in Illustrator leads often to situations where you think you have duplicated something, but you actually just moved it. And often I edit the element I thought I duplicated, and loose lot of work as it wasn't actually duplicated…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Subdivision for Ellipses / Circles

For constructing objects with circles, it would be nice to have a possibility to enter the subdivision / number of Anchor Points on a circle.
    All circles have 4 Anchor Points and this can be subdivided to 8/16/etc., but when we need a circle with 6 evenly spaced Anchor Points, it's quite a hazzle to get there. Why not add a subdivision field?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. More Eyedroppers

Sometimes I would like to just use the eyedropper for fill color instead of having it match everything. It would be cool if you have individual eyedropper tools for fill, stroke, font features, and one for everything.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Toggle Radii in Ellipse Properties

When editing Ellipse Properties in the transform palette, it's be great to be able to turn off the radiuses in the ellipse, enabling a live shape which is an arc. At the moment you are limited to filled/joined sections.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Jointures Multiples/Multiple Joins

Je souhaiterai pouvoir sélectionner de multiples points avec l'outil sélection directe et que la commande joindre (Commande -J) fasse la jointure pour tous les couples de points ayant même abscisse et même ordonnée.
    Ce qui motive ma demande est que je récupère des fichiers générés par des sites web où chaque segment est isolé. C'est problématique soit pour ajouter un fond, soit pour avoir une découpe plus rapide et plus propre sur ma découpe laser. Avec des segments courts, le matériau n'a pas le temps de refroidir entre deux passes et fini par se consumer. Avec des tracés longs, la…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Blend annotator

It would be good if the blend tool worked like the gradient annotator where you can weight the blend along the linear axis using sliders to quickly adjust the spacing of the blended objects.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allow strokes in brush and pencil tools to be shown in real time while drawing

When you draw lines with freehand tools (pencil/brush), the stroke doesn't show up until after you finish it and release. It just shows as a thin blue line. It doesn't account for thickness so I end up having to redo lines because I can't see what they look line until I finish drawing each line.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Keeping corner points while dragging an arc.

When I have an arc that has a corner point at one end, dragging the arc changes the line to an unwanted shape even when "Constrain Path Dragging" is turned on in settings. I ALWAYS need those corner points to remain corner points.

I suggest using the SHIFT key to keep them as corners.

Many versions ago (late 80s, early 90s), corner points always remained corner points, and I liked it that way very much!! : ) It made my job so much easier. Since then paths have been a real hassle.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Change Illustrator marker code from % to something no one would use, like tilde

You know... people REALLY USE the "%" symbol when making charts. We'd like to be able to use it when making live marker symbols, but we can't because that is the reserved symbol for markers. NO ONE would use a tilde since it can't be represented as a data point. Please change this and add functionality to add a suffix to numbers when used in a column marker. You REALLY need to bring charts into the 21st century... I feel like I'm still working in 1999.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Spring Loaded tools

Over in Photoshop, it's possible to hold the single-letter shortcut for activating a tool, and to then release the key to return to your previously-used tool.

In many ways, this is not useful in Illustrator, but in several, it's invaluable. The Zoom tool, in particular--I'd like to be able to hold Z, adjust the zoom, and release Z to be back on the selection tool (or whatever i was previously using).

The Hand tool already works this way: Take out a tool like Selection (v), and then hold spacebar to get the Hand tool. Drag the canvas around, then release…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Scissors tool should be aware of stroke width profiles and brush tool data.

At present, if you use the Scissors tool on a path with a width profile, the resulting paths will both inherit the entire width profile. This always feels wrong; I would much prefer that the resulting paths had new width profiles that match the original look of the path.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Convert a Type on Path object to a Point Type text and a normal Path

If you accidently select a path with the typing tool and save it without undoing it, there's no easy way to change it back to a normal path. You have to use the direct select arrow and click on all segments of the path, then copy and paste it, then join. You cant even click and drag to select all segments. Could there be an easier way to turn this back into a normal path?

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base