When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 3D Revolve Perspective is Always Off Center

The perspective setting for the 3D revolve effect seems to be centered on the OBJECT being revolved rather than the AXIS of the revolve. That means that adding any perspective skews the object off-center (see lower cylinder in attached example screenshot).

Could a setting be added to shift the center of the perspective to the axis (among other options)? Sorry if a setting exists and I just can't find it.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Effects, Appearance, Graphic Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Convert to Line effect

If you try to apply 'Convert to Rectangle' effect, Ai will limit you minimal width/height to 0.01mm — not zero. It means we can't use it to create 'lines'. And this is something appearance and styles will hugely benefit from.

Of course, it should allow to set a reference point too:
    https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/32052073-add-reference-point-to-convert-to-shape-effect

And although we have a Transform effect to deal with the angle, having it for the line is obviously needed.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Effects, Appearance, Graphic Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Perspective mode for Free Distort effect

Free Distort effects, being a bit outdated with it's detached preview window, comes out Super Tool with Stylism plugin installed. But it could do so much better if there would be a tick, that turns distortion into a perspective one, as the tool with the same name allows to do. That would allow us to distort stuff live in perspective (and omit using overcomplicated Perspective Grid for small tasks).

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Effects, Appearance, Graphic Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Better reflect tool functionality with option to add multiple instances similar to Macromedia Freehand.

Illustrator needs a better reflect tool that can add multiple instances. The way Freehand's reflect/rotate tool worked was IMO optional because it gave a live preview of the outcome and worked intuitively.

I know that similar thing can be done in effects -> transform, but you need many more steps to achieve the same result, often not knowing what to expect visually before you get the result.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Layer style effects - Bevel & Emboss, Drop Shadow, Outer glow...

Illustrator needs a panel for object effects similar to ID and PS.
    Especially bevel and emboss effects. Affinity Designer has this option.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Bring Back Hold Shift to Restrict Gradient Movement

In prior versions of Illustrator, when adjusting the composition of a gradient using the gradient tool, you used to be able to hold shift to constrict the gradients movement to the Y or X axis.

Please bring this back as it is a quick and seamless way to align the gradient composition exactly instead of eyeballing it.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Effects, Appearance, Graphic Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Color Halftone with various pixel sizes and/or LPI

In "Color Halftone" we only have the option of setting one pixel size for the dots, that will later be applied to all 4 channels. However, in printing, it is common for each color channel to be printed with a different dot size, to prevent moiré and create more solid patterns. It would be great if in Illustrator one could set a different pixel size for each color, the same way it is possible to vary the angle.

Also it would be amazing to have this setting done in LPI rather than pixel dot size.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. normal map

As It's already existing in Photoshop, and as there are some Photoshop filters applyable in Illustrator, I was wondering if we can get the "convert to Normal Map" filter directly in Illustrator.

It may be useful and more efficient than using AI + PS to generate some Normal maps based on vector graphics.

Many Thanks

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Effects, Appearance, Graphic Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Transforming 3D effects

For 3D effects such as 'Extrude and Bevel', 'Revolve' and 'Rotate', transformation behaviour is incomplete. For instance:

Scale Strokes and Effects doesn't cause the extrude depth to scale.

Flipping the object only flips the path and not the 3D effect.

Both these things should transform as expected...

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Effects in outline view

Effects still load in the background in outline view. It doesn't make any sense for them to load as I'm in outline view and can't see the applied effects anyway. Effects should be turned off in outline view, right?

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Effects, Appearance, Graphic Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Advanced User Defined Variable - Step and Repeat Transform Live Effects

I think I'm getting at a broader idea that includes some requests already posted - Advanced user defined variables to duplicate or step and repeat objects any number of times. This would allow users to either or conform or randomize copies of a Transform for advanced effects. I saw this idea some years ago by a Russian guilloche pattern product called Excentro ( http://www.excourse.com/excentro/index.html ) screenshot attached, that does just that.

Perhaps this is a third party plugin, or a separate Adobe product, but I think it would be great to take this on as an Illustrator feature. You can…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Auto-generate an opacity mask from the Appearance palette

I've been experimenting with ways to create soft edges and stylized natural textures in my work. I find myself wishing for this to be able to quickly and easily create, say, an erratically faded and mottled edge to a filled path by giving it an opacity mask made up of a jagged white-to-black fade pattern brush, plus some black spots from a scatter brush.

I would like to be able to add strokes and/or fills to a path via the Appearance palette, and have these paths show up in an auto-generated opacity mask for the path instead.

Possibly this might…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Effects, Appearance, Graphic Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. NUMERATE!

As a function of the transform tool, or perhaps a tool in it's own right, a feature to numerate copies in sequence and/or apply fully scanning bar or QR codes. E.g. raffle tickets, concert tickets, coupons, vouchers, etc.

This would be invaluable as a time-saving measure, and allow an artist/designer to keep something like tickets completely in-house. I've been working with Illustrator for 15 years, and to my knowledge there's no feature that does anything like this. When I design concert or raffle tickets I have to use a 3rd party vendor, pretty much just for the bar code and…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Make Appearance work for Type objects

More specifically, with type objects, the Appearce palette just says 'Characters', without reflecting the current stroke and fill state of the object. New stroke and fill have to be added to make the Appearance palette useful.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Blur

Add ‘Blur background’ feature like XD, including outer and inner shadow

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. proper block drop shadow

Please add a proper block drop shadow like corel draw has. I can't believe this is still missing.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Effects, Appearance, Graphic Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Envelope and mesh distort tools.

Same as on the full version, something that’s definitely missing from the iPad version.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Overhaul of Illustrator's 3D capabilities.

Illustrator's 3D effects are hugely outdated. Something that matches or even exceeds After Effects would be a would boost to the program.

Heck, even something that allows you to easily rotate and move the shapes around in 3D space like AE would be great. Illustrator's current 3D tool are clumsy and cumbersome.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base