When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Blur object background

I'd like to see a blur option where objects behind an object appear blurred such as in the attachment. This is something that, I believe, can be achieved in CSS so it would be good to have the ability to use such an effect in Illustrator.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Effects, Appearance, Graphic Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add numerical control over light sources in 3D Extrude & Bevel Effect Options

When applying and tweaking 3D Extrude & Bevel Effect, user has to manipulate light by precise mouse twitching over the small sphere.
    It should be at least twice as big to provide fine control (I won't note this as separate request), but there should also be numerical fields to control the lights' position over sphere — angle, elevation, choose any.

Also, why Depth and Height values there are immune to document Units settings? 56.96pt is nonsense to me, while 20mm makes sense.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Effects, Appearance, Graphic Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Effects, Appearance, Graphic Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Square wave live effect.

Gears. Crenelations on castles. Zippers. These are a few things whose border can be described by a square wave. Or by a rectangular wave.

But you can't do this easily in Illustrator. Oh, you can add a dotted line to a shape - but that's an awkward workaround. How about a new live effect?

effect->distort & transform->crenelation would bring up a new live effect where you can apply square waves to whatever object you're affecting.

Suggested parameters:

• size - similar to the size parameter in roughen/zigzag, this would control how far the generated path deviates from the original path
    • pulse…
    9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Effects, Appearance, Graphic Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Paste Appearance command

We need a way to quickly transfer appearance from one object to another.

For now there are several ways to do it.

1. Grab the Eyedropper tool. Go to tool’s options. Set both Appearance check-marks. Select the art you want to apply appearance to and click the one you want to copy appearance from with the tool (or vice versa with a proper modifier held).
      This one requires me to go to the options before to set these check-marks and go there after to turn them off, because I don’t need these by default.

2. Save a graphic style from the object…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Effects, Appearance, Graphic Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Gradient Feather

I would love it if illustrator had a gradient feather tool that worked the same way as the one in illustrator.

At the moment you have to manually set up a gradient with 2 of the same colour with one set to 0% opacity and one at 100% opacity, unless I'm missing something! The one in indesign can be applied to groups as well which is super useful.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Can't select and edit two effects from two separate fills in single appearance

I can't select two effects, applied to different fills in one appearance — AI restricts to select both of them. Therefore, if I have same effect applied to all of my object's fills, I have to edit EACH of them one by one, instead of just Ctrl+click all of them and edit at once.
    It means that if I want to change Drop shadow's parameters, scattered across different appearances, no graphic style won't help me. And I already mentioned in separate enquiry that Drop shadow and other color-based effects ignore global swatches.
    This is nuts. I waste so much time.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Drop shadow distribution curves

Right now shadow is just blurred silhouette.
    Please add option to tweak it's distribution, as PS does ('profiles').

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Enhancing the Convert to Shape Effects

The Rectangle, Eplise and Polygon tools had been updated with dynamic properties in CC 2014.

That will be huge to have these properties added to the "Convert to Shape" Effect and to add the Polygon and Star tools to the "Convert to Shape" list.

It will allow more Advanced Appearances and Graphic Styles.

–––

+Adding the Reference Point:
    https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/32052073-add-reference-point-to-convert-to-shape-effect

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add Reference Point to "Convert to Shape" effect

When using the convert to shape effect, it would be useful to be able to specify a reference point to the dialog, about which the effect can transform. For example, the current implementation distributes the effect from the centre across the height/width axes. A reference point would allow you to add extra dimension to the left/right/top/bottom (as required) and would be extremely useful in UI construction, among other things.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Effects, Appearance, Graphic Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. We need, again, Custom Bevels in 3D-Extrude & Bevel, please!

Illustrator used to have the ability to create customer Bevel profiles ( in the Bevels.ai file in /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator 23/en_US/Symbols ). HOWEVER, the feature is now gone! Please give us the option to create custom Bevels, again! Thank you.

Last year, 2018, I created a object and gave it a 3D custom bevel, and now I can do nothing with that object. Whenever I try to do something with it Illustrator crashes. I couldn't figure out what was going on until I tried creating a custom Bevel again. There is no way to create a custom Bevel! When I…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Effects, Appearance, Graphic Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Grayscale as an Effect

I would like to be able to apply a non-destructive "Convert to Grayscale" Effect to Objects, Groups or Layers.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Gradient Quality

There is banding from black and white when I do a gradient and it does not matter what size the object is I am doing the gradient onto.

A nice smooth gradient is important without banding. I have seen this done on many items, not sure what they used, but the gradients were so smooth and flowing.

I then tested it with white that went to 50% grey and still banding.

Why is the quality of the gradient tool so terrible in illustrator?

Also, why is it so complicated to get the color you want from the library, or any…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Effects, Appearance, Graphic Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 'Reverse Order' option for Transform Effect

When you set several copies in Transform effect, Illustrator makes them stack under original art, 'going backwards'. Sometimes it's better to have an opposite behaviour, with copies stacking up, 'towards' viewer.

Please add this checkbox near 'Copies" field.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Please return snaps to the Gradient Adjust Tool

Please return snaps to the Gradient Adjust Tool so I can snap to points or press shift to contain to 90 deg etc. It was in previous versions

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Attach Symbol Effect

Adding a new Effect to Attach a Symbol would heavily simplify the creation of Appearances (Graphic Styles) like the one in my Screenshot.

Of course a Reference Point and Liquid constraints like in InDesign would be amazing.

And that will open all new horizons of possibilities!

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. procedural textures for fills

It would be nice if there was a procedural texture fill available. Something like coreldraw has, but completely procedural so that file size doesn't bloat. The more parameters the better so we could create many varying textures/colors/patterns/etc.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. SVG Timeline Animation

Svg kann animiert werden. Warum muss ich dazu zu svgator oder snap greifen? Ist direkt weder in illustrator, Animate noch After Effects möglich.

Ein fenster timeline zu illustrator. Keyframe Animationen und SVG Animiert müsste man dich in Adobe Produkten erdtellen können.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base