Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. You should be able to delete a layer with the delete key.

Like in any other Adobe program you should be able to just press the delete button instead of dragging the layer to the trash bin icon.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. If you roll the mouse wheel over a property, count it as one "Undo"

I love rolling the mouse wheel on properties to make changes and see them in real time, but I always think twice before doing it because I know that Undoing it will be a massive pain. Please count mouse rolls as just one Undo/Redo.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Keep AI documents from automatically popping up from the Mac dock when another doc is opened.

Every time I open or create a new document, every other Illustrator doc that has been reduced to the Mac dock pops up. That's really annoying. They're in the dock for a reason, because they're not needed while I'm working on the new doc. Can we change it so that docs reduced to the dock stay there until called upon?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. compare .ai files

similar to compare PDF's in acrobat - the ability to compare differences between ai documents. this is useful sometime if comparing artworks pre press or outlined versions compared to live type.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Keyboard shortcuts for switching Workspaces

In Premiere, I can quickly switch between Editing, Multicam and Color Correction workspaces via keyboard shortcuts. I don't understand why the same isn't possible in Illustrator? If you need to switch workspaces with the mouse via a dropdown menu, it negates a lot of the reason for using them in the first place (time savings) It seems even more essential in Illustrator than Premiere, because you typically switch between tasks much more quickly.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 変形効果ダイアログにも縦横比を固定ボタンが欲しい

変形パネルのWHのサイズ欄には縦横比を固定するボタンがあって便利です。変形効果ダイアログにも同じボタンがあるとより便利に使えると思うのです。

45 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Close all other document tabs.

I would find it really useful, if I could right click on a document tab and select "close other tabs" as I often have lot's of tabs open and eventually only want to work on a single tab. Instead of closing all one by one, this could be solved with a single click.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. lock changes to item.

It would be nice to be able to lock an item from any changes except when moving or grouping.

I find that when I move object around I accidentally resize them which then changes their aspect ration and then I have to start all over. It would be nice to lock an item from changes such as color, size, etc... but still allow the object to be moved around on the art board.

Consequently, if I can lock an item, it would naturally follow that an unlock functionality should be there too.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. graph type preview checkbox

It would be nice to add a Preview checkbox to the Panel that you get when using Object > Graph > Type… , Object > Graph > Design… , Object > Graph > Colum… and Object > Graph > Marker…
    After 35years this should be possible.
    Thank you!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add outline stroke button to pathfinder window

But a button that in the pathfinder window that outlines the stroke.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Please add legacy menus and tools as a workspace

Please, please add legacy menus and tools as an option for a workspace. I have been using AI 3 for years on my old G5 and recently went to a new iMac and bought the full line monthly for all Adobe programs. Acrobat is so much better, PS is tolerable, but AI is near impossible! Everything has moved, the tools react differently and I'm having a heck of a time trying to find everything! Page setup is gone, I do a lot of Image Tracing (all the way back to when you needed that extra program to do it!) and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Show Contentpreview in hidden layers

When you hide a layer, the contentpreview in the little square in the Layers Panel is hidden. Finding a specific layer is terrible when it’s hidden (you only see the layers name).

That makes absolutely no sense to me and has no benefit that I can think of, to the contrary.

Please make it at least an option, or just make the Layerpreview always visible. I can see that it’s hidden when I see the eye canceled on the right, no need for more indication that its hidden.

Thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Please add a Shortcut feature to Change Illustrator UI Color🔴🔘⚫

Please add a Shortcut feature to Change Illustrator UI Color like Adobe Photoshop (Ctrl+Shift+F1/F2)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. The property bar can be made better.

I am a designer from Russia and I am delighted with the "properties" panel. The idea of ​​making the panel universal is fascinating. I see the future of Ai in the fact that the program itself will open the necessary settings, depending on the selected object. Unfortunately, the "properties" panel is far from ideal, but I am sure that it is the future. My idea is this. This panel cannot be used by beginners, so the explanations are meaningless. I think all explanations should be removed, and functions should be replaced with buttons. Then, perhaps, this panel will fit everything…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Please provide an option (either in the preference panel or in a tools window) to turn off number scrolling.

Currently if I open the properties panel and enter a number into one of the windows-like width-I then hit return and go to move my mouse and the numbers start scrolling up or down (along with the selected object in the drawing). I would like an option to turn off this scrolling feature. I spend a lot of time fixing things that have changed.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Keyboard shortcut to invoke the search box under the Help menu

I swear there used to be a keyboard shortcut to do this. Given the relative complexity of Illustrator, I rely on search to locate less frequently performed actions. I currently navigate by mouse up to the Help menu (which automatically gives the Search field focus), where I type in the first few characters of the action I wish to perform (results are refined as I type in more characters); this way, I can simply select the action I want right from the Help menu. It would be great if I could forego the mouse entirely and invoke that Help menu…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. link scale adjustment

Please add a way to modify the scaling of a linked image after it's been placed into Illustrator. Sometimes, when an image gets out of proportion, it is difficult to get it back in proportion. Also, it would be nice to scale a link to a specific percentage. Indesign has this feature, and it would be nice to have it continue through into Illustrator as well.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Do the 'Effects menu' as the After Effect's

Why don't you make the AI effects menu as practical as the AE's menu? It is much easier to type in what do you want.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Create an Action from History Panel

Ok... I've hit on an idea.. I think. Have you ever been experimenting and hit on a great idea, or manually created an effect to lettering, and would like to apply the same treatment to other objects?

This could be an option in the Actions panel to create an Action from history. This would involve a couple new tools. A History panel like Photoshop, and an option to create an Action from already performed steps.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Adjust font size the same way as in Photoshop

Please make it possible to change font size using the same way you can do in Photoshop. "Hold-and-drag" mouse over the TT-button to left or right to increase/decrease font size.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base