When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please Add Path Area values in the Document Info Tab

Years ago I used Telegraphics' free "Path Area" plug-in to determine the path length of single or multiple selected objects. The plug-in's dialog box would display both the length and area of any selected objects. That plug-in hasn't worked with the last few versions of Adobe Illustrator. It's effectively a dead plug-in.

Currently Illustrator will display Path Length values under the Document Info tab (when Objects are checked in the options fly-out). I would like path area to be added to the values shown for Paths.

Right now my only option for determining path area is using the Dynamic Measure…

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make setting reference point hotkeyable

Problem Description:
    I change reference point all the time.
    I'm so tired of grabbing a mouse and searching for a reference grid and precisely clicking in tiny-tiny square.
    Please add a possibility to set a hotkey for each position!

Look, there is a whole numbers block at the right side of a keyboard (if you are not using these fancy ***** castrated versions which doesn't have it). I could have used it to set reference point, using something like Ctrl+Shift+3 to set it to the right bottom.
    I can use an action for doing this, bit I'm long ago out…

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make a hotkey to go one level up in Isolation mode

It quite frequently needed to go one level up when burrowed in isolation mode.
    The only way to do it now — is button, unscriptable, unhotkeyable, mouse only.
    Make a hotkey for it, please.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. zoom in/out without pressing alt button (only mouse scroll)

It would be much easier to have an option to zoom in/out by using only moue scroll

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Defined and User Editable Center Origin per Object or Selected Group

In 3DCC software, the objects have a defined center origin pivot point, and each software has a way to manage and edit the location of that pivot point so that the user can manipulate it with predictable results.

Rotation tool currently allows the user to place the pivot with a click and then run the tool, but that then has to be redone later as it clears or passes back to a default position. If possible, we should be able to select a point on the path and snap the pivot it that location, or we should be able to…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Lock workspace

Photoshop introduced locking workspace in fresh release. I want same thing for AI. Or is it there already?

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add keyboard shortcut for Locate Object button in Layers Palette

Every button and every command in AI should be bound-able to hotkey.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Let the "." on the numeric keypad work as a decimal separator for all countries.

In Dutch, we user the comma as a decimal separator. (0,5 is how we write a half)
    Lots of use use the International English keyboard, and the English versions of Adobe CC. But for some reason Illustrator refuses to recognize the "." on the numeric keypad as a separator. When I type "7,2" Illustrator show this correctly in the input fields, but when hitting enter, it makes "72", just skipping the comma.
    Please make a Preference to set the "." or "," on the numpad always to act as a decimal separator.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Easy setting of layer's opacity and 'Target Selected'

Some users still find confusing setting opacity to whole layer.
    When they change opacity value in Transparency palette with no art selected, it does nothing or (if 'New Art has Basic Appearance' is unticked in Appearance palette options) applied to new objects.

The way transparency is set for a layer in AI is not that obvious, compared to Photoshop's way, and require from user knowledge of working with appearance.

I propose this:
    1. Make a shortcut for 'Target Current Layer' command, which is not anywhere now (or even 'Target Selected', which will target current layer, if nothing is selected)
    2.…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Grid or Guides Calculator

Have a make grid or guides feature with a grid calculator that was artboard dependant.

• as in I could have different grids on different artboards
    • proportional grids
    • vertical grids and guides as well as horizontal

The amount of time I take having to set up grids, by drawing boxes and dragging in guides, to do my layout is enormous.

It is such a fundamental part of graphic design, I feel like it should really be embedded in illustrator. I have noticed that the new Photoshop has it. Also indesign has it. But really i need it more in illustrator.

(…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Zoom in and Zoom Out Through Mouse Wheel

In previous Adobe PD and Illustrator versions i was using preferences setting to change the zoom with Mouse Wheel, but in this version it is not available.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Nix the Stupid Blue Share Button

Get rid of the stupid giant blue "Share" button in the toolbar. It's very distracting because it looks like I constantly have a notification. And I will never use it. We've been all through this with Acrobat already!

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. History Panel

I'm a handicapped person with the ability of using my right hand only. So, I don't have the access on keyboards that much. I use screen keyboards or other tools for typing also to gain full controls on various application and software. I also managed to make the Photoshop my own. I figured out and arranged the interface of Photoshop to make it better for my usability where the History Panel was the essential tool for me. And when it comes to Illustrator, I got disappointed as it doesn't includes the History Panel. It's difficult going to edit then undoing…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. GET RID OF THE EXTREMELY ANNOYING PRODUCT TOUR POPUP

Stop treating all Illustrator users like imbeciles. Get rid of the ****** popup tips and Product Tour that all users are forced to contend with.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Fix the "Restore" AI Window Size when opening an AI file from File Explorer

What we want is simple, make it so that opening an AI file from File Explorer does not change if AI is in windowed mode, or fullscreen mode.

This has been an issue for years that disrupts the workflow of users on a regular basis. Here is an old forum thread going back as far as June 2012 further detailing this ongoing issue: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1026020

When opening an AI file from File Explorer, Illustrator automatically Restores down to a window from Maximized mode. While the work-around, (of extending edges of Illustrator's window from edge-to-edge of the desired monitor), minimizes the impact…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Dark mode / Light mode (Automatic)

Now that macOS support a real light/dark mode, it would be really nice to have this option enabled automatically in any Adobe products when I switch from light to dark and vice versa in my system preferences.

It would be even cooler if you added an option to change the interface automatically depending on the time of the day.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. After AI crashes, list of Recent Files should be restored as it was BEFORE crash

AI crashes quite often. Every time I relaunch it, I see documents in 'File > Open Recent Files' that I opened long-long ago.
    AI seems to save this list only after successful closing, which is RARE.

Just make AI store list of recent documents elsewhere every time document is opened and restore it after crash.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. More details on "an error occurred while processing the appearance of an object".

When you start doing complicated work with a lot of effects, you start getting the above-mentioned dialogue. It is incredibly unhelpful: which of the several thousand objects in my illustration is causing problems? What layer is the offending object on? Where in the appearance stack did things go awry? Maybe I'd like to find out which object caused this - how about a button to select the offending object, unlocking whatever containing objects may be locked?

To make an analogy for the programmers: imagine if your compiler just said "some errors happened while compiling your project", and didn't even tell…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. USE of .CXF FILES within adobe cc

As >cxf files will soon be the future of colour communication why do x-rite and adobe not integrate .cxf files with each other. The idea of a .cxf file is to help stabilise colour across various substrates, regardless of background hue, it allows the use of a spectrophotometer to read the colour and match it against a dE tolerance to make sure the colour is within specified range.
    Hence pantone live was born as every pantone book differs in colour, however a .cxf file never changes.

So pantone want you to use pantone live, which is fine until the colour…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. The recolor artwork window needs to be variable size.

The color list form is too small. Make window resizable.
    recolor2 like it need. recolor1 like it looks now.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base