When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Added a slug area in document setup

In InDesign's document setup, there are Slug settings in addition to Bleed.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/how-to/set-print-bleed.html

There is no a slug area in Illustrator. As a result, users are stacking another large artboard underneath the artboard as an alternative to a slug area. This situation should be remedied by adding Slug settings.

InDesignのドキュメント設定には、裁ち落としに加えて印刷可能領域の設定があります。
    Illustratorには印刷可能領域の設定がありません。そのためユーザーはかわりに別の大きなサイズのアートボードを下に重ねています。この現状は印刷可能領域の設定を追加することで改善されなければいけません。

76 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Documents and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. match arrow keys to screen rotation

i just rotated the screen 90 degrees, but when i use the arrow keys, they move the object as if the screen was not rotated. would love to have arrow keys (toggle-able) match screen rotation.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Documents and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Resize all artboards independently and by percentage with preview

Resize all artboards and all artwork on boards at the same time by a percentage (currently feature is artboard only and by pixels only, unless I am missing some checkboxes somewhere?) -- each artboard would be independent. Like the same shape feature when selecting artwork and choosing Transform > Transform Each -- but for artboards. Would love a preview before committing!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Documents and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Remove the 'Drawing Area' (dark grey area behind art boards)

The 'drawing area' behind artboards limits where you can place items (especially masked items that fall off this area), it limits the number of artboards, and limits how freely and where I can place multiple artboards. It also has no purpose at all as far as I can see.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Documents and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. New artboard adjustable spacing

When the New Artboard button in Control panel is clicked, an artboard is created next to the current one. The spacing between these is not tweakable.

I work in metric units, on 10×10 millimeters grid. The space between artboards’ edges is 7.056mm. Yeah, I know, it’s 20 points, sure, but why should I care about points when units are millimeters? Why can’t I use a value that makes sense to me?

Furthermore, it is dangerously close to 7 and looks like an integer until you check it.

Please, allow to set a spacing manually in Artboard Options or elsewhere —…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Rearrange artboards on canvas accordingly to their order in the Artboards panel

If you use artboards to have pages, swapping wo of them could be a nightmare.
    So:
    1. Allow Ai to rearrange artboards on canvas as the order of items in Artboards panel suggests
    2. Add Swap Selected artboards maybe, when exactly two artboards are selected

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Documents and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Art board numbering

This goes back to a post from another user 11(!) years ago. He then wrote:

I'm currently working on a project which involves over 16 artboards in the same document, though when i want to change the order of the artboards [for saving as a PDF] i have to move all my artboards content to new artboard, etc.etc.
    This is really annoying, especially when i want to insert a new artboard between some excisting ones.

So is it possible to somehow change the order of the artboards, or they numbers [basically the same]?

And still, 11 years later…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Documents and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Remove the 'Drawing Area' and it's limitations (dark grey area behind art boards)

The 'drawing area' behind artboards limits where you can place items, especially masked items that fall off this area, limits number of artboards, and limits how freely I can place multiple artboards.
    If you want 40 artboards (for say storyboarding) but want more than 10pixels between each, you can't. If you have masked a large drawing and need the invisible masked items to sit outside the Dark Grey drawing area, you can't. If you have a lot of artboards but want to place characters for use by other designers, animators outside your artboards but have many artboards you struggle.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. flip artboard dimensions/orientation

Many versions ago, there used to be a little arrow next to the artboard dimensions that would switch the width and height values. Meaning, if I had 8.5x11, I could hit the button to change the dimensions to 11x8.5. Where did it go?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Documents and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. unlimited artboards for storyboarding to scale

Storyboarding at 1920x1080 and I can only get 48 artboards. My computer can easily handle more. Why the limit - more please.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Links in Illustrator - please link them like in InDesign

The major issue with Adobe Illustrator's Links is that the saved path is built “from the bottom" for example Username/Pictures/Job Folder/File, rather than, "from the top" like InDesign, for ex. File/Job Folder/Pictures/Username. It means that with InDesign files, I can move the entire Job Folder to a different location without losing links, whilst if I do it with Illustrator, I need to re-link everything. Packaging is not a solution, if you work on huge projects where linked files need to stay in their designated folders.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Export artboards with the correct sequential order

I am creating multiple page presentations and often I have to insert or move artboards. When I export the artboards to JPG or PNG they are named after their original artboard number which creates a lot of extra work for me.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Option to place the origin of the art-board at the centre of the art-board.

I would like the option to place the origin of the art-board at the centre of the art-board, so that objects can be placed at the centre just by setting the position to zero please. This would also make it a lot easier to mirror object to other sides just by making their position negative or positive.

Thanks in advance,
    Tim

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Documents and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Pixel Perfect - alignment with equal distribution e.g. Artboard alignment

When exporting out artwork for app icons, the dimensions have to be precise. 256 x 257 isn't going to work downstream and you have to adjust and export out again - wasting time.

If an art board bounds is not pixel perfect aligned the exported graphics can be one pixel out. So it becomes necessary to align both content and art boards.

One could argue that if an art board has a defined integer dimension, then it should be guaranteed to be exactly that dimension. Which could be a bug.

But why is it necessary to have an art board…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Display Animated GIFs while designing

I am a video editor so many of the things I design involve animated GIFs. It would be incredible to have a display option to see GIFs play inside of a document, to help design layout.

Thanks!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Simple little change: Remove tiny shadow behind new artboard

I've noticed this for years... whenever I create a new document in Illustrator--no matter the size or mode and without any bleed settings, the artboard has a tiny grey "drop shadow" behind the artboard. See ATTACHED. It does not affect art and never prints, but more times than I can count I've found myself zooming in and attempting to select/delete it, thinking I left some sort of unwanted element behind while I was working. Or I see the faint "border" and think my graphic elements aren't fully aligned to the page edge, when the actually are.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Auto white spaces detection in the edge of Artboard!

Make auto detect tool that can notify you when there is a white space in the edges of the Artboard. It would be great tool, most designers are not aware that the background is not fully filled the artboard! or the image size is not exactly fit the artboard!

Thank you

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make guides automatically (like in photoshop) without the need for shapes or vectors.

Simply make the 'make guides' option as a tool to make margins, guides, bleeds etc without the need of using a shape or vector shape. Just like in photoshop.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Zoom In On Navigator

Zoom In On Navigator

1. When I am using the navigator, I'd like to see how certain areas of my document will look when printed. I would like to be able to zoom in on the navigator. See attached file.
    2. This would help me greatly because I could see small changes and large changes, at a better scale, while not making the navigator take up too much space within your layout.
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 16 17
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base