Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Keeping corner points while dragging an arc.

When I have an arc that has a corner point at one end, dragging the arc changes the line to an unwanted shape even when "Constrain Path Dragging" is turned on in settings. I ALWAYS need those corner points to remain corner points.

I suggest using the SHIFT key to keep them as corners.

Many versions ago (late 80s, early 90s), corner points always remained corner points, and I liked it that way very much!! : ) It made my job so much easier. Since then paths have been a real hassle.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. artwork over canvas isolation toggle

Toggle function that changes the view between showing all artwork in a drawing, and only showing everything that is actually over the canvas. basically, a quick and easy toggle to see what an exported pdf would look like. Exactly like the toggle built into InDesign (toggled by "w").

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow option to turn off auto close paths on pencil tool

Right now when you draw a path with the pencil tool, it automatically closes the shape, incredibly annoying if you are trying to draw lines close together that don't connect. Should be a extremely easy fix, just adding an option to turn it off.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Modo sketch para desenhos mais técnicos

Modo sketch para desenhos mais técnicos. Assim os usuários poderão criar peças mais precisas para impressão ou arquivos dxf para CAD.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Auto-calculate spacing of dashed strokes, given dash width and number of dashes

When I'm designing dials for equipment, I often need to place a dash at a given number of/angular intervals around a curve (eg, ten 1mm dashes around an arc of radius 15mm and theta 3pi/5 radians). Often the simplest, most time-effective way to do this is with dashed lines.

Currently, in order to work out accurate gap spacings without dashes getting cut off at the end stops, I end up having to calculate arc lengths and gap spacing by hand. I daresay the maths is good for my brain, but it would be really handy to input "dash width: 1mm,…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Rotation and reflection when selecting an object

When I have an object selected (left mouse is pressed down), I want to press the space bar to rotate it. This might rotate anticlockwise by 90° (so I would press the space bar three times to rotate the object clockwise by 90°). You could make the rotation angle 45° to be aligned with rotating and holding the shift key.

Also, while the object is again selected, if I press the X key, the object is reflected horizontally; pressing the Y key reflects it vertically.

These key strokes have been in use on another software program that I have used…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. preview pen tool line colour change

In previous versions of illustrator the layer colour defined the preview colour line when using the pen tool. In recent versions the preview is automatically. Set to a dark blue colour and i can't work out how to change this.

This tiny little change is causing me much grief, because in my artwork i draw on black shapes all the time and because the colour is dark blue, i can hardly make out what I'm drawing. I used to pick fluro pink, so I can easily see this line.

PLEASE HELP

I'm using surface book 2, windows 10, latest version…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Magic Grid

Hi!

I would like to have a new tool: a kind of semi-elastic placement aid. Our team designs packagings and often has to adapt layouts to new die cuts, so objects often have to be moved, but must not change in size themselves. Sometimes a logo exists in three different sizes, which must be chosen depending on the total height. In addition, they must adhere to minimum distances, which may also not be scaled. However, the design often follows a grid, e.g. a logo must be on the vertical at 5/13 of the total height. So I imagine a kind…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Snap collisions

Is there any way you can implement the snap to collision feature like Astute plugin Colliderscribe?

Through this feature, you can snap tangents or edges of circles for geometric constructions.

I just upgraded my Ai from 2019 to 2021 after having my new M1 Macbook and I can’t use my Astute plugin Colliderscribe anymore unless you pay an annual subscription for their whole suite of tools which is unreasonable for me because I only use this particular tool and not the entire suite.

Corel Draw and Affinity have this feature so I’m thinking to make a switch instead of paying…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. magic wand selects only visible items

it would be super helpful if the magic wand could be set to only select what you can see on screen currently. this way you won't accidentally select an item without knowing

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Swap Tool or Transform Option

I would like a tool or feature whereby I can select two objects, hit the tool or possible transform option and the objects swap their exact positions. This would save an incredible amount of time especially when updating an existing document. There used to be a script for this way back in the day but I think it's time to bring in this very effective feature.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Selection tool grabs what you see

The selection tool has always been a bit inconsistent. Mostly you click the object to select it, except:

1. Stroked lines: you have to click the path to select it no matter how thick the stroke. This makes it counter-intuitive and also very difficult to select these. It would be so much easier and intuitive to select any part of the stroke.

2. Text: you can click a strangely large area above and below and around text which is invisible and not in any way part of the text. This makes it difficult to select objects around and below the text because…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Make an optional Shapes dialogue that works like Figma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGBIc6oJCos

I am in love with these features and could see having an "Advanced Option" set to turn on features like this for quick non-destructive design output.

Thank you! :)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow strokes in brush and pencil tools to be shown in real time while drawing

When you draw lines with freehand tools (pencil/brush), the stroke doesn't show up until after you finish it and release. It just shows as a thin blue line. It doesn't account for thickness so I end up having to redo lines because I can't see what they look line until I finish drawing each line.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Straighten/unrotate object

As far as I can tell, there's no way to re-straighten an object after rotating it. There's nothing retaining what the degree of rotation was. That would be really helpful.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Can we please get Image Trace by Color option

Can we please get Image Trace by Color option. So if we like to trace only single color elements from rastor image, we can do.. We can correct the shape by pen tool and join it to our vector art..

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. non destructive erase with brush tool

it would be nice if we could use the brush in a transparent mode to erase in a non destructive way.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. não consigo usar pressão da minha caneta modelo da minha mesa disgitaliazadora é Huion HS64

não consigo usar pressão da minha caneta modelo da minha mesa disgitaliazadora é Huion HS64

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Spring Loaded tools

Over in Photoshop, it's possible to hold the single-letter shortcut for activating a tool, and to then release the key to return to your previously-used tool.

In many ways, this is not useful in Illustrator, but in several, it's invaluable. The Zoom tool, in particular--I'd like to be able to hold Z, adjust the zoom, and release Z to be back on the selection tool (or whatever i was previously using).

The Hand tool already works this way: Take out a tool like Selection (v), and then hold spacebar to get the Hand tool. Drag the canvas around, then release…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow us to convert all points of shape.

Why does selecting all the points of a shape suddenly mean you can't convert them to smooth or corner? You should be able to convert them--however you wish--with all the points selected.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 34 35
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base