1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

157 results found

1. Add option to Always update links

Sometimes I make a lot of changes within linked images. AI always asks if I am to update links, and I'd like to have this dialogue temporarily switched off (but enable it later)

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. disable autocrop suggestions

The aggressive new autocrop suggestions in Illustrator 23.0 are a huge hassle. Every new crop I make I have to move the suggested crop lines back on 2-3 of the sides of my cropping image, or risk losing as much as 70% of the original image. Very much a waste of my time and a headache.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Bring back the previous Illustrator CC toolbar

Bring back the previous Illustrator CC toolbar. After years of having the AI tools in a particular spots, now they're all over the place and hard to find and the Edit Toolbar is a cluster#$%& of madness. Bring it back!

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Bring back the rounded corners in the rectangle dialog

Please place the rounded corners back into the rectangle dialog window. The new experience for this feature is undiscoverable and not intuitive at all. The usage pattern is inconsistent with the rest of the drawing tools e.g. polygon, stars... Have you consider testing it on users before launching the new 2019 version? Please do not redesign for the sake of redesign. Your users are not being efficient in their workflows because they have to spend time to figure it out where those features have gone. I am very sorry but this is a frustrating experience.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As per the comment.

The rounded corner box is still there in new versions, but hidden, as a 'not-frequently-used' — well, statistics-wise. Click on the three dots at the bottom of your toolbar and pick Rounded Rectangle tool directly, or drop it into your toolbar.

Please free to add comments, if you think that this tool should be included to the Essentials toolbox anyway, and why you think this is important.

5. 3D Mouse Support

Originally posted in the forums:

I am aware that this has been asked before, but I have not found an adequate answer.

I have always disliked the methods used by Illustrator for pan and zoom functions.

I have been using a program called X-Mouse Button Control to remap the functions of the mouse wheel and middle click to pan and zoom operations. For panning, this works well: Middle click to pan. In X-Mouse, the middle click is replaced with a macro that will hold the space key, and simulate a click/hold of the left mouse button. This allows panning in…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Screen resolution of Illustrator 23.0 - Not recognising retina display?

Just downloaded the new Adobe Apps as an update. All fine except illustrator. It looks massive on my screen. Seems it's not seeing retina display or can't work out the size of my display. Attached are two screenshots. One is illustrator window looking massive and Photoshop looking as it should.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Make it possible to select locked objects?

I wish it was possible to prevent an object from moving, but still have the ability to select it. A preference setting to "allow selection of locked objects" or "lock position only" or something?

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There is a way to select locked objects in recent Illustrator versions.
    In Preferences > Selection & Anchor Display section toggle ‘Select and Unlock objects on canvas’ option to see small lock icons you can click when locked objects get into a selection marquee.

8. create a offset path preset.

I typically use the same 2 offset path sizes .125 and .0625 there needs to be a way to save these presets so I dont need to manually type them each time.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The intended way to do presets like this is to record an action, as per the comment.

Open Actions panel, create a new one, select a basic temporary shape, run Offset Path command, enter the value you need, commit, stop the action recording. Now you can run the action to automatically offset the selection.

9. Documented PDF User Guide for Illustrator

I would love a documented user guide in a PDF printable format that offers step by step procedures on how to use Illustrator functions.

Can you please send me the link for a PDF Illustrator User Guide, (documented).
    This would be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards

Cate

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Blend shapes or lines along a curved path, like a "spline".

Type can be arranged along a custom curved path. Why not blends? As it is now, if I want to arrange repeating vertical lines along a curved horizontal path, I have to: create the blend in a straight line, then: line by line, go along the blend cutting off bits to match the curved horizontal baseline. I can make it look decent, but it takes quite a while.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. change stroke color of custom brush

I've downloaded a few custom brushes & their colors don't change. They're black, that's it, no matter what stroke color I choose in the palette. I don't like having to expand their appearance just to change their color. In a few projects that I'm working on, I want to be able to try a few different brushes in the color that I like (and be able to change that color, too) + at any point that I wish to change that brush again in the future & maintain that color. You get it. Hoping this is a simple thing the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Pattern origin

Why is the pattern anchored to the art board and not the item? I often create shapes and apply a pattern (lets say a plaid) and I adjust the alignment of the pattern so that it is equal on all sides. If I then copy the shape containing the pattern so that I can then offer the client a different color combination of the pattern, I now have to nudge the pattern of the new shape to align properly again! Because the pattern is anchored to the art board not the shape.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This behavior can be toggled in Preferences > General > Transform Pattern Tiles.

Once enabled, the pattern stays relative to the object it’s applied to, when you move or copy it between documents.

It also makes it deform if you stretch, resize, rotate,  skew or transform the object, because it’s all a part of 'transformations' we can make.

13. The ability to save a direct selection

Sometimes geometric transformations require a complex selection of certain vertices on one or more objects. Losing the selection because of a misclick is so common and frustrating... One should be able to save current selection to recall it if lost. This little buffer can be really very temporary, i.e. stop working if object topology has changed in the meantime. It would already prevent frustration on many occasions.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Illustrator allows to save, load and managed partial and full  selection with Select > Save / Edit Selection commands.

UI is archaic, but it does the thing you want.

Please leave any comments regarding this feature here.

As for having a selection operation as an undoable operation — there is a separate feature request for this you can vote for: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657/suggestions/34934953

14. Please allow fonts to be found by typing in the name in the drop down list.

Please go back to allowing fonts to be found by typing in the name into the drop down menu.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is exactly what Illustrator allows already.

In facet, it allows two ways you can toggle, using the 'looking glass' icon at the left of the Font Family input: 'Search Entire Font Name' or 'Search First Word only'.

Perhaps it got changed for you?

Anyway — if it does not behave like it should — please log a separate bug request about this in the proper forums’ section.

15. Alignment Hierarchy and Auto Align to Artboard

Alignment should work (Like most other design software) where there is a Parent/Child hierarchical relationship. Currently only "Align to left, and top" behave this way. Align to Center causes the two objects to meet halfway between their artboard positions. This is has been a major issue for years.

1. Touch Parent object (anchored in artboard position)
    2. Holding Shift, Touch Child object
    3. Selection alignment task
    4. Child moves to parent

In addition, the selection of "Align to Artboard" should be an automatic default state for single or grouped objects. There is no need to have a selection for "Align to Artboard".

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As per the comment, this can be done by clicking one of the selected objects to define it a key, to make all other object in the selection to align to this key.

Other apps rely on order of selection, and this is something users request to able to toggle here: http://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657/suggestions/39711583

As for the Align to Artboard switch — it is useful when you have a selection of objects and want to align all of them to an artboard. In these cases the default mode Illustrator enables is Align to Selection, and you have to toggle it manually.

16. CINEWARE AS A NATIVE TOOL

You should add the Cineware plug-in into Illustrator's architecture as a native tool, such as After Effects and its Cineware.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Show link image while resizing or moving

Instead of seeing just the bounding box when transforming linked files, why not show the content of the link? Transforming linked files, image or vector based, would be more intuitive. This currently requires a workaround.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is what Illustrator is capable of now with Preferences > GPU Performance options turned on.

It should work for both linked or embedded images, vector or raster, exactly as you described.

If it does not happen for you — please report it as a bug, and provide screenshots or screen recordings of the behavior, along with full OS and app specs.

18. CANT RE-GROUP THE VECTORIZED TEXT WHY?

when the text is vectorized i cant Group after Un Grouping them ve to make a object in group so it workt the same way i Group the objects by Right click >Group

what i need is.
    on Vectorizing the Text and ungrouping them .. gives me the availability to Group them back again.

thanks
    Awaiting for Repl

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Live preview of gradient (while dragging)

Whenever I'm using the gradient tool I wonder why I can never see the appearance of the gradient while dragging it. resulting in having to tweak it at least a couple of times before I'm content.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Illustrator now displays the appearance of the gradient interactively when you drag it, but only when GPU preview is on.

Make sure it is on in Preferences > Performance > GPU Performance, that you View > Preview on CPU / GPU Preview is correctly toggled, and that you are not using Overprint Preview.

If the issue still persists with all these checked — please comment back.

20. Eyedropper shortcut

If I have a box with a gradient stroke (as an example) and I want to then fill it, if I use the eyedropper to grab the color from another object, it overrides and deletes the stoke. I would like to be able to use the eyedropper on fill or stroke without deleting it's counterpart. Right now it's a long process of clicking off my shape, eyedropping the color, copying the color value, reselecting the object, double clicking the fill or stroke, and pasting in the value. It adds up to a lot of time lost for something that should…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To make Eyedropper pick and apply only fill, without modifying the stroke, you need to open the tool’s options, and uncheck the ‘Focal Stroke’ option in the left column. This will force Illustrator to ignore the stroke from the source object, and your target object will keep its original stroke.

Use other options there to fine tune the tool to your needs.

There is a similar resolved request that is about the same thing — https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657/suggestions/38241262

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base