1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

8 results found

1. Save As PDF and PDF Export

Illustrator is long overdue for PDF export. Without PDF export saving a PDF from Illustrator is an arduous, multi-step process that must be repeated every time. There is also a dangerous trap in the process that can make the user’s file uneditable. Compare this to InDesign, which has PDF export and all changes are sticky.

Illustrator
    1. File > Save a copy,
    2. Change format to PDF,
    3. Remove “ copy” from filename,
    4. Change directory,
    5. Click Save,
    6. Enter PDF options,
    7. Click Save.

InDesign
    1. File > Export,
    2. Click Export.

Because all options in InDesign are…

165 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There is no true PDF Export in Illustrator, because Illustrator allows to have editable PDFs with .ai-content stored within. Other apps does not allow that, and some users heavily rely on editable PDFs.

Attemps to solve this were made, but there is no clear solution so far. Still we hope to find one.

The intended way to get a PDF (without loosing your data) at the moment would be to use Save a Copy command that saves a separate copy of your file to PDF instead of Save As which keeps a saved file open.

2. 150 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This issue is probably happening because the artboard dimensions are not appropriate for raster export (i.e. are in decimals).
    If you make x and y values as the whole numbers in the transform panel (not in decimal), then the extra pixels will not be added to the exported image.

That is the workaround, and it’s reported that it’s not always the case.

At the same time — Ai knows the size of artboards to be exported and yet it does not deliver the set sizes, which is not fair. The team is going to rethink the algorithm.

3. Control of SVG <style> class names on Export

Here is a detailed explanation of my issue:
    https://forums.adobe.com/message/10234155#10234155

Summary: We should be able to assign/control style classes within the ai file that show up in the svg file.

38 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Export for Screens .pdf saves all artboards in file

When Export for Screens is used to export pdfs, it saves ALL artboards for every .pdf, creating very large files. This means I have to export the pdf, then reopen the pdf in Illustrator and manually delete the other artboards and other artwork and resave it so that the pdf only contains the artboard that should be in that file.

This is clearly not the intention of the feature.

It would actually be quicker to just copy and paste it into a new file, as it can take a lot of time if you have a large file with multiple…

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Asset export dialog does not have this option to export each file as a separate file it only has option on all artboards in one file, range of artboards or selected artboards in the dialog or the whole of document into one pdf file.
    I am moving this request as a new feature request

5. SVG option to convert text to outlines when exporting

When exporting SVG I have ran into wonkyness with fonts so sometimes we export SVG graphics with text as shapes...

But then I some times get distracted by a email or chat message and save the ai version with out undoing my text to outlines conversion...

Why not just have a check box on the SVG export panel "convert all text to shapes" then when I export this option parse the document and convert all text to shapes...

So I do not have to worry about undoing my convert text to shapes when I save the master ai file.

Stephen

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. SVG import/export destroys details for SVG-files generated by Inkscape

Whenever I open a SVG-file in Illustrator that was generated by Inkscape, very frequently details are destroyed. A message appears stating that "round-way to tiny" may have exactly done this.
    This bug makes it impossible to collaboratively work on figures with colleagues that do not use Illustrator, but Inkscape instead.

I am using Illustrator CC 22.1.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Locked files on SMB shares (macOS)

There is a weird file-locking problem when files are opened and saved from/to smb volumes mounted on macOS. If files are saved and closed there is still a locking on the files. So colegues are not able to delete/replace this files. There is no problem if the afp-protocol is used. For this reason we had to disable smb-sharing on our server, because macOS uses smb as default if available. (Illustrator 21.1.0 - but at least from version 19 on)

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. dropbox syncing

When I open/save through the native Illustrator dialogue boxes, files that I have in my dropbox folders begin to download for no reason. I use SmartSync to keep my HD space optimized and this little glitch makes that impossible.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base