1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

155 results found

1. Recolor Artwork Swatch Replacement

I would like a simple interface where I can see what colors are being used in my document and have the ability to select colors and replace them with swatches (either from the swatches panel, a cc library, or by entering values). The current process of merging/replacing swatches in the swatch panel is time consuming and frustrating. Seems like the recolor artwork panel should have this functionality. I don't want to scale tints or use color groups. A use case for this is making sure an illustration only uses brand colors, or if you need to update an illustration with…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can do this using the Recolor panel (the full one, that is under Advanced Options). It’s quite straightforward, although not obvious.

Double-click the small color chip under in the New column, and the Color Picker dialog appear. Then click the Color Swatches button and choose a swatch you need. No hustle with the scaling of tints or putting your swatches in color groups, it’s that simple.

2. alt click swatches to add colors to a selected gradient

With a gradient object selected, it would be much quicker to alt click swatches from the swatch panel to add to current selection

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Gradients  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. artwork over canvas isolation toggle

Toggle function that changes the view between showing all artwork in a drawing, and only showing everything that is actually over the canvas. basically, a quick and easy toggle to see what an exported pdf would look like. Exactly like the toggle built into InDesign (toggled by "w").

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Bring back menu highlighting feature in 'HELP' menu

Please bring back menu highlighting feature for Illustrator and Photoshop! In previous versions, you could type a word in the HELP dropdown (i.e. "offset path in Ai"), and the menu where the item is located would drop down and highlight the item. This is very useful because designers sometimes remember the name of a feature, but not where it is located. Also for learning it is very useful.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Export artboards with the correct sequential order

I am creating multiple page presentations and often I have to insert or move artboards. When I export the artboards to JPG or PNG they are named after their original artboard number which creates a lot of extra work for me.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Illustrator uses the actual order of artboards in the Artboards panel for numbering, not the one you have on canvas (because artboards can be used not only as pages, but viewports, intersect and contain each other). To get the order you need, you should re-arrange the list manually in the panel.

There is also a request for automating the matching inverted process: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/44105052-rearrange-artboards-on-canvas-accordingly-to-their

6. flip artboard dimensions/orientation

Many versions ago, there used to be a little arrow next to the artboard dimensions that would switch the width and height values. Meaning, if I had 8.5x11, I could hit the button to change the dimensions to 11x8.5. Where did it go?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Unlock individual items

Please add the ability to unlock individual items (instead of having to unlock all, then relock all but the one you need). We've been working around this for years, so when I noticed it was available in XD, I thought I'd ask for it to available in Illustrator

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Illustrator allows to unlock individual objects on canvas, if you enable 'Select and Unlock object on Canvas' option in Preferences, Selection & Anchor Display section.

Also, you can right click on the spot that has your locked object, choose Unlock and then this item by its name, without enabling that option.

8. Allow for graphics placed from CC Library to be expanded and converted to curves

Right now, when you place a vector from the CC Library, you can't use it as if it were a vector created on the spot. This hinders speed of creation and prevents 2 crucial things:

1. You can't change colors of the vector without editing the original CC item
    2. You can't use it with pathfinder for a print job for example (imagine you want to cut a shape out of PVC or something). Right now, to do this, you must double click the library item, copy and paste it on your document.

Altough it might not seem much work, if, for…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can drag an asset with the Alt/Opt key held to embed it instead of placing.

However, please note a PDF-copy of an asset is used, and not the original artwork you had imported into a Library, which means the embedded copy can have extra clipping masks and expanded effects.

9. Stretching objects

A stretch function allows to e.g. move a door in a wall. The door is moved, one wall is enlarged and the other wall is shortened. This is done by drawing a box through the walls and around the door, and then by moving the selection. Object that are completely within the selection are moved. Object that cross the selection box are stretched.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. correct measurements

In the attached screen shot you can see that the height of each of these objects, when looking at the blue illustrator guidelines, is measured the same but in reality, as is clearly obvious from the stroke attached to one of them, they are not the same size. One of them is clearly bigger in size due to the stroke. This discrepancy is very and constantly confusing when trying to work in precision measurements. Please could you fix so the stoked object calculates the stroke outer edge as additional width, as that is what it is. Thanks James

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Strokes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Button to reveal a Layer on "Layer window"

Is there a possibility to create a right-clic option to "reveal on Layer window" from any object? Sometimes when I receive some .ai files, everything is un-organized and must travel over layers and layers... This option is in After Effects and is very helpful.
    Thanks for reading!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can do this now with the Locate Object button in the bottom of the Layers panel.

However, this is not an automatic thing. If you wish to have an option for it to be automatic, vote here: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/39104935-automatic-locate-object

If you want to be able to assign a hotkey to it without wrapping it into an action, vote here: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/34798945-add-keyboard-shortcut-for-locate-object-button-in

13. Would like to be able to entries in the Appearance Panel and perform Pathfinder functions to them. .

Example: Select 2 strokes in the appearance panel, one transformed some distance from the other, and apply the pathfinder Unite function (Fx) and have them become functionally one entry on one layer of the selected object.. This could eliminate some what are sometimes complicated procedures when outputting files to various RIP/machines/printers.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We need your help to build this product right. We have a few open questions that we would like to discuss with you please join us on our pre-release program using this link : https://adobe.ly/1o2SDsg

Hoping to meet and greet you on the prerelease forum and seek your input to build this product right.

15. Freeform gradients to grayscale

It would be awesome if we could convert freeform gradients to grayscale just like with a normal gradient.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Recolor Artwork flip 2 colors

I want to quickly flip 2 colors within a multi-colored design.

Lets say I have Object A (RED) and Object B (Blue) I want A to be Blue and B to be red. I try to find tutorials about it but couldn't find any. I have tryed everything in recolor artwork but its not possible to switch simply two colors (withing a multi-colored design, large file to see different color options quickly)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. disable autocrop suggestions

The aggressive new autocrop suggestions in Illustrator 23.0 are a huge hassle. Every new crop I make I have to move the suggested crop lines back on 2-3 of the sides of my cropping image, or risk losing as much as 70% of the original image. Very much a waste of my time and a headache.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. create a offset path preset.

I typically use the same 2 offset path sizes .125 and .0625 there needs to be a way to save these presets so I dont need to manually type them each time.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The intended way to do presets like this is to record an action, as per the comment.

Open Actions panel, create a new one, select a basic temporary shape, run Offset Path command, enter the value you need, commit, stop the action recording. Now you can run the action to automatically offset the selection.

19. Pattern origin

Why is the pattern anchored to the art board and not the item? I often create shapes and apply a pattern (lets say a plaid) and I adjust the alignment of the pattern so that it is equal on all sides. If I then copy the shape containing the pattern so that I can then offer the client a different color combination of the pattern, I now have to nudge the pattern of the new shape to align properly again! Because the pattern is anchored to the art board not the shape.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This behavior can be toggled in Preferences > General > Transform Pattern Tiles.

Once enabled, the pattern stays relative to the object it’s applied to, when you move or copy it between documents.

It also makes it deform if you stretch, resize, rotate,  skew or transform the object, because it’s all a part of 'transformations' we can make.

20. Please allow fonts to be found by typing in the name in the drop down list.

Please go back to allowing fonts to be found by typing in the name into the drop down menu.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is exactly what Illustrator allows already.

In facet, it allows two ways you can toggle, using the 'looking glass' icon at the left of the Font Family input: 'Search Entire Font Name' or 'Search First Word only'.

Perhaps it got changed for you?

Anyway — if it does not behave like it should — please log a separate bug request about this in the proper forums’ section.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base