Automatic dimension/measuring tool please
A tool to automatically dimension signs would be an advantage to those of us working in the sign industry who create visuals for clients. It would also assist in maintaining accuracy of the artwork created and automatic checking device. This with the removal of the artboard size limitation would create a full working drawing platform for the manufacture of large signs for the retail industry.
Here we go, the first Beta version with the Dimension tool. Still very basic, but more features are to come. Please try the Beta 27.7 (available in the Beta section in your Creative Cloud Desktop application), test the tool and give the team your feedback here in comments. and refer to roadmap to see what will be added later.
It would be useful if the dimension tool would measure in cm and in. Right now it only measures in points. Both my rulers and units are set to cm, but the dimension tool is still in points.
Hi Bluebrad, just tried to send you a message over on Twitter. I am not much of a Twitter user so hopefully you will see it. Thank you.
Bradley Smith commented
@jody contact me @bluebrad i may still have my old version. Edit: i did not get any message? IG:bluebradcom
I checked with Hot Door, and they no longer have a version that works with CS5. All they support now is back to 2020.
I need version 7 from Hot Door, but have not found it yet. So many people use AI for signage design.
So I will continue my search. Thank you for posting those links, I will give them a try.
Thank you much!!
many third-parties come up with their own solutions, some of which can be used in CS5:
— Hot Door CADtools: https://www.hotdoor.com/cadtools — CADdimensions specifically, but it’s not available as a separate product
— BPT-Pro: https://baby-universe.co.jp/en/plug-ins/cad/bpt-pro/ — one of the most powerful ones
— JLG Tools: http://jlg.outils.pagesperso-orange.fr/nouveautesus.html — both paid and free versions
— Specify: https://github.com/adamdehaven/specify
— Dimensions script by O2 Creative: https://www.o2creative.co.nz/Dimensions_PowerScript_Plugin_Extension_for_Adobe_Illustrator.php
— Dimensions script by Mars Premedia: https://www.marspremedia.com/software/illustrator/dimensions-illustrator
— Dynamic Measure by Astute Graphics: https://astutegraphics.com/learn/10minskills/measure-easier-in-illustrator — more a measuring tool
— Specees: https://specees.dazed.design/
Anyone know where I can find
dimension/measuring for CS 5?
• Provide a "Preview" option to see changes made in the Options pallet in real time.
• Provide a rounding option for decimal places and possibly even a .25 rounding (or fractions for inches)
• Reduce the layering colors. The new color for every measurement is too much. Maybe color code them based on horizontal, vertical, angled, radial...
• Make manual measurement easier and allow for the 'pull off' to distance the measurement from the points. The current workaround is to do a manual measurement and then do an aligned measurement based on the manual path and delete the original manual measurement.
• Allow for the measurement to calculate only the path and not the stroke.
• Allow changes made in Options pallet to apply to all existing measurements. (similar to editing a brush stroke)
• Provide an option for the measurement stroke to have a heavier white stroke under the color stroke to create a separation from the layers below it.
• Either allow for a scale option where the design can be done at a smaller size, or do away with the arbitrary artboard size limitation.
• Parametric measurements would be much nicer than static layers of lines and text. It's a great start, but very rudimentary when compared to other tools out there. (Why not have Measurements as it's own tool pallet instead of adding everything into the Layers pallet?)
Will Carvalho commented
I'm getting the mm Measurements shown in 10% of reality for some reason, decimal point going in the wrong place...
Dina Dembicki commented
So, I actually had a chance to check this feature out, trying to make a drawing for a custom mouse pad for an irregularly shaped desk.
As someone who doesn't do dimensioning on a regular basis, and has no CAD experience, here are my thoughts:
1. Obviously, a way to change the measurement to mm, pts, in, etc. And an option to provide more than one kind of unit (say, inches and centimeters).
2. Personally, I could do without the rainbow of layer colors, so maybe a way to set layer colors, either by selecting the layer and changing all the sub layer colors (without having to set them individually), or a way to specify a layer color for all in the presets. (This would be nice to have for all kinds of layers, actually, would come in handy when you move things to different layers.)
3. When applying dimensions, a way to measured the whole item (a path, whether closed or not) without having to group it, not just from point to point.
4. A way to measure and indicate angles (had to dig out the protractor, LOL)
That's all for now. I'll come back and edit this if needed as I get further into it.
A function for scale would be great.
Thank you guys finally make this feature available!
I had tried the beta version and happy enough with it. Of course there would be room for improvement:
- The measurement lines and the values should be automatically grouped when generated.
- The dimension values (and their lines) can follow any transformation changes to the parent object (or whatever should it be called). For example, if the object is scaled down, the measurement follows the newer value. It would save time whenever changes is made.
So far those two are my main concern. This is a good start!
Uwe Busch commented
really a great start, user defined presets fort font size & distance, also as for scale options, would be great!
Uwe Busch commented
this is what I missed, its a great start, but a scale option is essential.
Bradley Smith commented
adobe should just buy out cad tools already!
John Nolan commented
Is this functioning on large canvases?
When I dimension a 20 ft square, it dimensions as 2 ft.
Am I missing something?
Sarah Tucker commented
This tool is ****. I am SO happy Illustrator FINALLY has this. A+++. Add it to non-beta immediately! lol
Jorge Estigarribia commented
oh! I forgot something, it's very important how it works, for me is to click at one point to another point and then drag the dimension line far from the shape, so it can be easy to create it.
Jorge Estigarribia commented
well, this is just a start, it needs a lot of work, as I see, but it works, and its what we wanted, for a long long time.
the next is scaled artboards, it's that right? that would be great for big dimension designs.
The creation of a layer for the dimension is great, but the dimension should have its own option panel, where we can change the scale, style, units and other options of the dimension too.
But if can give what we can see in the beta, that's a huge time saver, I do exactly what you created, but with graphic styles, and I have to write every one of the dimensions.
1. Need the ablity to set colors as spot colors. system picker colors are useless in files for print production.
2. would like to see a modifier key to auto measure lenght and width without selected objects needing to be in a group to recognize as an object.
3. would like to be able to change global settings and it changes all existing measure styles. example... if if modify the line width in the settings, all places that have measurements are changed without having to go to each object and modify each object.
4. want the ability to have text follow line or always show horizontal. (for readability) .. basically 2 styles of the way text reads.
5. would like a tool to measure distance between two objects selected.. (measure gap)
6. ablity to set arrow style, end cap style even line style.
7. want option to have text on the line and it puts a box under the text to cut the line out from under it.
8. Ablitity to set custom configured line styles. so we can pick the type of dimension line we want.. we might need a black line for one object, a green for another and a red for a third.. this would save so much time.
This is a start. So far it looks great.
Flavio Cominotti commented
Hi, I think it would be useful to make the generated dimension as a shape and then expand it as needed