Automatic dimension/measuring tool please
A tool to automatically dimension signs would be an advantage to those of us working in the sign industry who create visuals for clients. It would also assist in maintaining accuracy of the artwork created and automatic checking device. This with the removal of the artboard size limitation would create a full working drawing platform for the manufacture of large signs for the retail industry.
A couple of questions on this:
1. Would it be okay to have a separate spec creation service much like the upcoming Adobe XD service? On this service, anyone with a link, can select any objects, and view its dimensions (W/H), colors, fonts etc. Or should it be inside Illustrator.
2. Are you only going to create horizontal, and vertical dimensions? Or would you also like to have angular dimensions as well?
Please share more details about your workflow.
dh, we all know there are options out there what we want is a solution directly within Illustrator.
Some things that would be helpful
Option for the Measurements to be live and change if you adjust size.
Option to be able to change fonts, distance, type of line (arrow both ends, line extensions, dashed, weight, colour..etc)
Option for measurement types, and how many decimals it adjust to
It would also be great to have angular dimensions as well as horizontal, vertical and also circumference and radius, diameter to be able to be dimensioned
Chelsea Sumbler commented
This is a must-have tool, especially for those of us working on packaging! Please and thank you!
Tiago Claro commented
Even Acrobat Reader have this tool.
Rob May commented
1. Should be implemented within Illustrator. A simple click and drag system would be ideal with options for unit type and scale, as well
2. If you're going to implement it, then implement it properly and fully. Should include all dimension types: horizontal, vertical, angles, arc/line length, area, etc.
Go on, be bold, add something that people want and need for a change!
This is a added value for designers. Please do it
This is the only irritating thing about Illustrator for me. Some free drawing software also has dimension tools but not Illustrator?
Fabian Nevarez commented
Even CORELDRAW! has had this feature since its earlier versions and up to this date.... why not illustrator? If Adobe developers don't know how to do it, COPY CorelDraw! ;-)
Jason Wissig commented
Illustrator needs a dimensions tool like Corel Draw, but it needs to be better. I should be able to click on an object and dimensions with little arrows just appear. The arrow type color and type of measurement should all be customizeable. It should be live also so If I change the size of something the dimensions change also. And it should also be able to be fixed so when I drop the art on an art approval sheet the dimension remain the same. This is important, right now I have to manually draw dimensions, it wastes so much time. Please, please please make this a high priority. Thanks,
Just an user commented
1. We need it INSIDE Illustrator. We have enough separate plugins, services and subscriptions already.
2. We need it to show all dimensions and measurements possible.
Is this enough info?
BASSAM MAHDI commented
YES IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TOOLS IT SHOULD BE IN ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR
IT WAS IN CORELDRAW For a long time !!
I agree with the above by tracey. I also work in the sign industry and am constantly doing visuals for clients. It would be great to have a tool inside the programme like with autodesk where you pick two points and drag the measurement line up to display it. It would also be great if it also adjusted as dimensions changed - of that particular line or vector originally selected.
It is incredibly time consuming as it is, manually. Especially as clients change their minds all the time and you need them to sign off your visual!
It's Mac only but I have this:
Dimension_72a for Illustrator CS6 and CC
• Dimension_72a will calculate the overall dimensions of all selected art and create dimension lines and text at the desired positions.
• Dimensions can be added to segments of paths.
• Dimensions can be set in inches, millimeters or centimeters and will display up to the maximum number of decimal places entered.
• The displayed dimension will be multiplied by the scale factor entered, if desired.
Has anybody worked with Flexi Sign Design software? When working with Illustrator for the sign/design business, the measurement display tool is the only (besides the art size limitation - of course!) tool missing. I agree, it should be a basic tool - part of the program!
David Cuesta commented
In response to Yogesh Sharma, have a look at Fusion 360 create drawing tool. It lets you pick sides and quick create dimensions on sides without having to draw lines and arrow heads and then having to write in dimensions.
I pay for Illy shouldn't have to pay for plugin for something so "basic"
I'm not sure if someone has mentioned this, but Astute graphics has a plugin called VectorScribe that adds measurements for this exact application. They have a lot of plugins at Astute that should be standard features of illy (like Phantasm)
I really can't see why this hasn't been a feature since day one
Why the reluctance to include a dimension tool?
Richatd Spencer commented
A simplified version of the third-party software Hotdoor CADTools would be a great addition to Illustrator. When creating label proofs we need to show the label dimensions, having to add them manually is slow and time consuming.