When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add a search bar in the swatch pallet for color books

I would like to be able to search swatch books from the swatch menu. This could be implemented globally for various search items, menus, tools, etc. (Similar to Photoshop's new search function.)

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Colors, Swatches, Patterns  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Importing color codes

It would be great if we could import hex codes (or rgb etc.) as a large batch-- it would really speed up workflow. If instead of manually having to type in 20+ color codes (with the possibility of a mistake), I could import a list of them, that would be awesome!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors, Swatches, Patterns  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Gradient properties in the properties panel

I am liking the new properties panel, but currently if i want to fill an object with a gradient, i still need to access this via its own window. Would be great if gradient options could be incorporated into the Appearance section of the Properties Panel

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors, Swatches, Patterns  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Reinstate The Functionality Of The Swatches Panel In CS 5.5

I’d like to see the functionality of the Swatch panel that was in (Windows) Ai CS 5.5 reinstated. Specifically, when the panel was opened, I used to be able to toggle through the Color Modes by holding Shift and clicking on the color square (thumbnail). If I held Cntrl, it would toggle to the color compliment. These were two great features that were eliminated with CS 6 through to the current version of CC 2017. Bring these back!!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Colors, Swatches, Patterns  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Recolor Artwork: Use Eyedropper to pick colors from Artwork

It would be nice if we could pick colors from artwork to to the Recolor Artwork with Eyedropper. Now if I want to match a color to an some existing color in canvas, I have to close the Recolor Artwork window, use the Eyedropper and then restart Recolor Artwork.

It would be great if we could just pick color from canvas while keeping Recolor Artwork open.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Recolor Artwork: Click the Artwork to Select color to recolor

It is often hard to pick the right color to edit from the Recoror Artwork UI. This especially when Editing colors that are close to each other.

It would be nice if we could click ( or ctrl/shift/alt+click) the artwork and select which color we want to edit in Recolor Artwork utility.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors, Swatches, Patterns  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Option to replace RGB sliders with HSB everywhere - all swatches and all color pickers.

We need ability to universally use HSB instead of RBG. I want the ability to fully replace RGB input and sliders with HSB everywhere in AI. I never want to look at RGB sliders ever again.
    This request is all over the forum in different phrasings/forms but unfortunately that has divided the votes leading to lower ranking.

Here is the same request with 87 votes oddly worded as "Illustrator forgets which color mode is set in the Color palette (and Gradient)"
    https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests?filter=top&query=Option%20to%20replace%20RGB%20sliders%20with%20HSB%20everywhere%20-%20all%20swatches%20and%20all%20color%20pickers.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Colors, Swatches, Patterns  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Let recolor Artwork affect Global Swatches

When Artwork is recolored, we can choose to add new swatches, but those are not Global, while the old ones where.

Why not ask to update Global Swatches when applying?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Eye dropper tool matches colour to a Colour Book set of swatches

As a fashion designer, I always (have to!) work with colour books like Pantone etc. and it is extremely tedious when I use the eye dropper, or open up a default swatch, to then have to open the recolour artwork dialogue box and convert the colours into Pantones.

It would be so much easier, if we could set in preferences a colour library book as the default set of Swatches that illustrator works from, so that when I use the eye dropper, it will select the 'closest matching' pantone swatch and I do not have to go through the process…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Allow to set a color for a gradient stop using Color Picker

Picking colors or changing colors in Illustrator has always been a pain compared to Photoshop and I'm not sure why. When I want to choose a color for a gradient or in the color panel in general, why can I not open the color picker and move the slider around on the big square to actively change colors and see the colors change in real time? This frustration often makes me want to switch from using Adobe products.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Have 'Select All Unused' in the Swatches panel look inside symbols

Right now when you choose 'Select All Unused', it selects colors that are in use inside of symbols and they will delete if you are not careful.

If the color is not directly placed on the artboard it seems Illustrator can't tell it really is in use.

Deleting the swatches results in 'Deleted Global Color' swatches appearing in your Swatch panels.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. When entering colour values Illustrator searches your currently open swatch book for the same values.

So for example if you are doing a CMYK colour, once you've put in the values it comes up with a "suggested swatch" option that has the same values or even suggests swatches with similar/close values.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Illustrator Swatch Panel to behave like InDesign

Colours should always be global.
    If a colour is deleted, it can be replaced with another.
    Global colours don't get converted to Spot colours when added to CC Library
    Introduce Mixed Ink colours

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. repeating pattern random recolor art

the merger of recolor art and the idea of variations in the context of repeating patterns. the recolor art needs a slot like interface where the user can store several variations on a theme into 'alt slots' these could be accessed by the repeating pattern algorithm to generate a more diverse result. perhaps with variations on size and rotation of the constituent elements.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add colors from toolbar to swatches in Illustrator

I would like to suggest that you should add a feature of "Add to swatches" from Indesign to Adobe Illustrator also. As you'd know in Indesign when we right click in ToolBar on froreground color or Outline we can simply add the color to swatches easily, but in illustrator we have to drag forcefully and drop it in Swatches panel.
    Attached is a screenshot from Indesign and Illustrator Workspaces for your reference.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Freeform gradient live update option

While live update is a nice thing to have (we still wait until you make all draggable art live updated), it's still not very fast.
    Please make an option to turn off live update for freeform gradients, so a fill would update only when you release fill points.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Separating Swatches/Color for Objects and Tools?

Insanely enough that Illustrator still not able to distinct in betweet color swatches for selected objects/paths and swatches for tools (Brushes, Live Paint, Paint Bucket, etc.) are you nuts guys?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Change conversion of black when going from RGB to CMYK

Please change the default behavior when converting a file from RGB color space to CMYK color space to make RGB black convert to 100% black. Currently and for years, Illustrator converts it to a rich black, with high values in each ink. It's very common to have to take artwork created in RGB and covert it to CMYK for print, and the default conversion for black is never usable. Please make it practical and have 0,0,0, RGB black convert to Cyan 0, Magenta 0, Yellow 0, Black 100.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Make Black Swatch really Black in RGB mode

An old annoyance: in many occasions, in RGB Document mode the Default Black Swatch is not black, but 15,15,15 gray.
    This problem shows up in every new version.
    Please make sure that when a document is in RGB mode, the Black and White swatches are 0,0,0 and 255,255,255 - just as we may expect.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Make New Swatch more intuitive and flexible

When 'None' is selected as current color (or no selection is active), the New Swatch menu item is grayed out, since New Swatch wants to copy the color of the selection.

When having a complex selection (lots of effort sometimes), it is rather dissapointing to not have the possibillity to give it a new color on the fly.

Why not make 'New Swatch' always available?

1. Intuitively, when no color is active, it should bring up a color selector panel, just like when an existing Swatch is double clicked.
      (If you think this is confusing - add a menu item for…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base