When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add grep/regex to Find and Replace feature

We really need some kind of grep or pattern matching in the Find and Replace dialogue.

I don't expect it to be InDesign-level functionality, but after all this time even rudimentary grep would be a blessing.

Maybe the Bridge regex could be adapted to Illustrator somehow...

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Type, Fonts, Text  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Character Styles should only contain deviations from paragraph styles (like in InDesign)

In InDesign, I can simply design a paragraph using a paragraph style and then apply deviations (such as bolding) via a character style, because I can create a paragraph style that contains the sole information "style: bold". So that when I change the font in the paragraph style, the character style will simply apply the bolding to the new font.

In Illustrator, however, I need to select a font for the character style before I can select the style. This means that if I change the font in the paragraph style, I would also have to update it in the…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Start editing text hotkey

Whenever I want to edit a text, I have to pick a Text tool an click it, or double-click it with a Selection tool. Why would I need to click a text which is already selected?

Please, make Ctrl+Enter start editing selected text, as PS does now. If several text objects are selected, use topmost, or closest to the screen's center or cursor or give people an option to choose.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Missing Fonts Copy/Paste Font File Name in Resolve Missing Fonts Window

If Multiple fonts are missing , and all need to be activated in my font management system, I have to type in the search bar the name of the font exactly as it is spelled in order for the correct one to appear. This can be time consuming when a customer has provided multiple fonts with irregular naming conventions.

Can we have an update that makes the notices in Resolve Missing Fonts window active so it is possible to copy the name of the font exactly as it is being recognized in the program?

Thanks.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Type, Fonts, Text  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Editable text underline feature as available in Indesign

Illustrator is the industry standard application for the packaging design and artwork industry. I don't think that this was the original plan for Illutsrator but this is now just a fact of life and millions of users around the world in the packaging industry use this day in day out for very technical builds where printer specifications must be taken into account. There are hundreds of features that could be added to make our lives easier as we work the lack of certain features to get it to do what we need. But the most glaring ommision for many of…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Ability to search Glyphs by name

For Symbol/Icon fonts, it's impossible to find a specific icon you're looking for when there are thousands of unicode icons to sort through one by one. If I want to find headphones or something in the Glyphs panel, right now I can't just type "headphones". I have to search through every single icon and can easily pass by it multiple times.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Introduce a key thaw allows to choose alternate glyphs from popup with keyboard

While displaying alternate glyphs popup should be an option (vote here: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/31896742-let-me-turn-off-the-obnoxious-alternate-glyphs-pop), I found this feature very useful.

But every time I want to choose one of proposed glyphs I have to move mya hand to mouse and click desired symbol.

This is nuts. I work with text. Why can I press a key to move focus to this popup, use arrows to navigate to desired one and press Enter to confirm my choice? Why use mouse, when I type?
    Or is it a way already and I just can't find it?

Please, make a way.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. I'd like to see the transform values of text be accurate to the text rather than the text box

I'd like to see the transform values of text be accurate to the text rather than the text box. Also so that when I am center aligning text horizontally it will align the actual text and not the text box.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Type, Fonts, Text  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Stop installing foreign fonts I don't need

The font list is getting longer and longer, so it seems. Now we have (rather gimmicky if you ask me) Variable fonts.

I just want to get work done. I live in the Netherlands and I speak Dutch and English.

I don't speak Arabic, Chinese, Hebrew or Thai so I don't need to have these fonts available. These fonts just clutter my already long font list and make browsing and finding the font I actually need more difficult.

Solution: check the system in what language it is in and only install fonts which the user can actually use. Offer whatever…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. An option to affect fonts that are hidden or locked with Find/Replace

When finding lost fonts or replacing fonts can you PLEASE let AI change/replace fonts that are hidden or on a locked layer. Or at least give us an option to.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Type, Fonts, Text  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Switch to Eyedropper while editing text

While editing text, we often need to grab the Eyedropper tool to pick some formatting or color for the selected range from another object. An instinct whispers 'Press I key' — and it obviously but often unexpectedly replaces the range with the 'I'. Undo!
    Then me might think of pressing Alt — and it does temporarily switch to Pan — which is cool and useful, since you can’t hit space.
    We need a modifier to temporarily switch to Eydropper.

...but all modifiers are taken (except fort Ctrl+Shift, which swithes input languages if you have several for some users) and Ctrl+Alt+Shift…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Integrated font matcher (whatthefont)

When converting customer-supplied logos into vector artwork I often need to match their fonts (sometimes easier than others) I use the website whatthefont which does a good job, a feature like this would be very useful within illustrator. Select the area of an image click "find font" and illustrator suggests what it thinks are the correct fonts, either within your own font list, adobe fonts or other external websites.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Copy the 'Indent to here' command from InDesign

'As it says on the tin'

So many times you start out creating a graphic and you're in two minds whether to use Illustrator for it's superior vector tools, or InDesign for its superior type control.

When I need to quickly add a couple of bullets it would be so much easier if I could fake the tab stop of the first line with an em dash and then an 'Indent to here' (Ctrl+) so that any wrapped text is quickly brought into line.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Type, Fonts, Text  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Transparency modes for coloured fonts in AI (Fontself Plugin)

Hi, I'm using Fontself in Illustrator. I designed a coloured typeface, all is good so far but when I type a text, and try to apply the multiply mode in transparency when selecting the text, nothing really happens as it would happen with any normal font (please see screen capture for reference). Is there any way to integrate this feature in Illustrator, where we can adjust letters' transparency and transfer modes of coloured fonts?
    Thank you

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Type, Fonts, Text  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Let me change reading direction with the vertical text tool

When using the vertical text tool (which probably was designed for asian scripts) the default textflow is from right to left (as with most asian languages, I guess). It would be need if I could change it to left to right.

Issue has also been discussed here:
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/320738

You can find a file of the desired outcome attached

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Enable 2017 functionality of marquee selecting text without exiting text tool

In 2017 CC Illustrator (and 2016 I believe), I could marquee select text on a text box in scope to edit text. Now in 2018, any time I am working in a text box and click-down outside the scope of the textbox, it immediately exits the text box and creates a new one. This is problematic for me when I am working with text and want to highlight portions of text but need to start the marquee selection outside of the text and drag it in. It results in alot of redundant re-selection and very careful precision to avoid further…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Faux Italics

It would save time & Photoshop, InDesign, and rich text editors can skew a regular font that does not have an italic weight.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Fix warp type effects

This has probably be stated before, but has long been an issue with warping text. It plain sucks, especially on an arc unless you use the type on a path tool.

Many moons ago there was a plug-in called Kai's Power Tools, KPT Vector Tools. It worked perfectly with one click and than for those that know Kai the creator vanished and updates were never made. It stopped working at Illustrator 9 for me.

I am sure at Adobe there are many programming geniuses that can make the current warp effects work much better.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Please give us the option to remove all the Asian and Arabic fonts from the font menu

Please give us the option to remove all the Asian and Arabic fonts from the font menu - Most of us using western alphabets never use them! Why should they clutter our font menu?

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base