2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

157 results found

1. 3D Mouse Support

Originally posted in the forums:

I am aware that this has been asked before, but I have not found an adequate answer.

I have always disliked the methods used by Illustrator for pan and zoom functions.

I have been using a program called X-Mouse Button Control to remap the functions of the mouse wheel and middle click to pan and zoom operations. For panning, this works well: Middle click to pan. In X-Mouse, the middle click is replaced with a macro that will hold the space key, and simulate a click/hold of the left mouse button. This allows panning in…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Bring back the rounded corners in the rectangle dialog

Please place the rounded corners back into the rectangle dialog window. The new experience for this feature is undiscoverable and not intuitive at all. The usage pattern is inconsistent with the rest of the drawing tools e.g. polygon, stars... Have you consider testing it on users before launching the new 2019 version? Please do not redesign for the sake of redesign. Your users are not being efficient in their workflows because they have to spend time to figure it out where those features have gone. I am very sorry but this is a frustrating experience.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As per the comment.

The rounded corner box is still there in new versions, but hidden, as a 'not-frequently-used' — well, statistics-wise. Click on the three dots at the bottom of your toolbar and pick Rounded Rectangle tool directly, or drop it into your toolbar.

Please free to add comments, if you think that this tool should be included to the Essentials toolbox anyway, and why you think this is important.

3. Key command for scrolling thru blend modes

You know how Photoshop has a quick key command for scrolling thru blend modes? Why not one for Illustrator?

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can assign your own custom hotkeys for these commands, using Keyboard Shortcuts dialog: select Tools from the drop-down menu (yes, that’s an unexpected place), and search for ‘blend’ — last two found commands are ‘Blend Mode – Next Mode’ and ‘’Blend Mode – Previous Mode’ — assign any keys you want or use Photoshop-like keys, Shift+Plus and Shift+Minus.
    The only difference between Ai and Ps is that Illustrator does not loop the list like Photoshop does… There is another request for this: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657/suggestions/44406693 — please vote there if you believe this should be addressed.

4. move anchor points in opposite direction relative to the object’s center point

For years I have been hankering for a way to work with anchor points the same way as the width tool works or the option/alt modifier key works when resizing a shape with the selection tool.
    When two anchor points are selected I want to be able to move those points in opposite directions. Either attract or repel.

Imagine there is a straight line between the two selected anchor points, when one of the points is moved away from the other point (pressing the modifier key) the point that is selected but not dragged should move in the opposite direction.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Make it possible to select locked objects?

I wish it was possible to prevent an object from moving, but still have the ability to select it. A preference setting to "allow selection of locked objects" or "lock position only" or something?

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There is a way to select locked objects in recent Illustrator versions.
    In Preferences > Selection & Anchor Display section toggle ‘Select and Unlock objects on canvas’ option to see small lock icons you can click when locked objects get into a selection marquee.

6. Default input in Color Picker

Older versions of Illustrator used to default in "Hex" field of the Color Picker, but now the default is in "H" of HSB. This breaks up the workflow when copying a low of colors.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Position elements relative to artboards.

Since several improvements to artboards are in the pipeline, I think It would be worth considering positioning elements relative to the top left corner of the artboard. I haven't found a good use for keyboard entry of x and y positions. Positioning elements relatively would make it relatively easy to maintain padding / grids across multiple artboards by entering an exact value.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Delete hidden layers

Would it be great if add the option of deleting all hidden layers as in photoshop..

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    There is a command in the Layers panel’s menu, called Delete Hidden Layers... Unfortunately, it deletes not only hidden layers, but also all hidden content. There is a separate request to rename the comment or add another, to distinct two operations: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/43634643-delete-hidden-layers-command-innapropriately-nam Please vote. Also, there is another request to delete unused/empty layers: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/40696027-delete-unused-layers
  9. The ability to save an appearance of a selected object.

The ability to save an appearance of a selected object to apply to other objects. Much like the copy and paste layer style in Photoshop.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Copy parts from multiple layers into multiple layers

I work with a lot of parts that I need to keep separated for output. A simple example is a complex, compound shape with 20 elements. I have 10 on a "cut" layer and 10 on a "print" layer. If I copy and paste them, I can only paste them into one layer. I might want them to go back into the same layers or into 2 new layers. I never want them in the same layer. I now have to go in and separate them all into the proper layers.

This is important because the layers tell our output…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You can enable Paste Remembers Layers in the panel’s menu to make Illustrator remember layers your objects were copied from and insert them on layers with same name when pasted. If these layers don’t exist, Illustrator will create them. Be careful and disable it when not needed, if might make a mess when not needed. Also note that with this option enable everything copied from an isolation mode creates a separate 'Isolation mode' layer, which is stupid — vote here if you think this should be addressed: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/37935496-paste-remembers-layers-bug-with-isolation-mode
  11. Install brushes to Illustrator

Install custom brushes to Illustrator
    With photoshop, you can install custom brushes. With Illustrator, you have to make any custom brush yourself which can be tedious and very difficult.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Illustrator for desktop allows to save and import brushes with an ease.

To save brushes, just save a document with your brushes as an .ai file. You don’t have to have them on canvas for this, just in Brushes panel.

To load brushes, click the Brush Libraries Menu button in the bottom left corner of the Brushes panel (looks like a bookshelf). Choose Other Library, locate the brush library .ai file.

If you want to create, save and import brushes in Illustrator for iPad — you have to vote for this feature here: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/931888-illustrator-ipad-feature-requests/suggestions/41682511-import-or-create-brushes

12. Contextual Eyedropper Tool

Currently, the Eyedropper Tool is an underutilized and often counter-intuitive tool that needlessly increases the complexity of a workflow because of its limitations. This- combined with Illustrator's poor color tools- often adds unnecessary time and effort to what should and could be more simplified tasks.

For example, a common situation is that I have a shape with a fill color that I like, and I want another shape that has a stroke to also use that color, except only for the stroke. Currently, if I use the eyedropper tool on the filled shape, it will completely remove the stroke and…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    The solution to that would be to activate a stroke if you want to apply a color to it, then to hold Shift when clicking a color — does not matter where this color is on a stroke or a fill. Illustrator then applies the picked color to the active fill/stroke, ignoring the source nature. There are two things to know — the cursor does not inform you about this mode (unlike the Alt-mode, should be addressed), and if you pick a color from a swatch — you’d get a screen representation of the color... harmless for RGB documents (if your color settings are in order), but crucial for CMYK documents (should be addressed too). Pleas comment back.
  13. Shortcut for the SMOOTH tool please.

N brings the pencil... I need something for the SMOOTH tool.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can assign your own hotkeys to different tools with Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts dialog.

Also, you can pick Pencil, hit Enter )or double-click the tool’s button) to open the Pencil Tool Options dialog and check 'Alt key toggles to Smooth Tool' — this will allow to quickly temporarily access Smooth on the go while you are working with Pencil.

Same applies to the Brush and Blob Brush stools by default.

14. 4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Show link image while resizing or moving

Instead of seeing just the bounding box when transforming linked files, why not show the content of the link? Transforming linked files, image or vector based, would be more intuitive. This currently requires a workaround.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is what Illustrator is capable of now with Preferences > GPU Performance options turned on.

It should work for both linked or embedded images, vector or raster, exactly as you described.

If it does not happen for you — please report it as a bug, and provide screenshots or screen recordings of the behavior, along with full OS and app specs.

16. Copy/move artboards with the content

Why have you deleted the function "copy/move artboards with the content" in the last update? It was really gorgeous! Now I have to unlock and make visible all the layers again to create several version of my graphic design, and it is really annoying! I would like the possibility to copy/move one or more artboards with the content, even if it is on locked or hidden layers, and without the content when it is on locked or hidden layers.

Please, consider both functions, the copy/move with content was one of the best updates that you have ever made!!!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Properties Panel, values are not selected by clicking on the symbol in front of their field

If I click on a symbol in a panel for a property like W or H or X or Y the current value gets selected. This does not work in the Properties panel, nothing gets selected and I have to double click inside the property field to select it.
    It slows down and is not consistent with the way it has worked for years.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Bring back spacebar 'move' functionality when 'alt/option' is pressed (to access Anchor Point tool) while using Pen Tool

I realize this is a very specific request for a small piece of functionality that was probably never very popular, but it's part of a workflow I got used to using for years, and since upgrading to CC, it no longer works.

When creating a new path with the Pen tool, using the spacebar enables you to move the anchor point you've just created (before you release the click). Also, the Anchor Point tool allows you to do the same when you click on a point and drag the handles out.

My issue is that the Anchor Point tool doesn't…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Get rid of prompt window

i would love to be able to hide/get rid of that prompt window that says "generate, edit path, repeat, group, lock.." that pops up. its pretty annoying.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Invite to edit functionality

On a previous version of Adobe Illustrator, anyone with access to the aic file could invite new members to the document. There has since been an update where only the owner of the file can share the file to new people. Is it possible to implement an 'admin' or 'manger' to each file. Therefore the owner of the document can provide admin rights to other colloborates of the document. Anyone with admin access could then share the aic file.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base