Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

864 results found

1. crashed and erased my project file? from two hard drives?

Just letting you know I just updated AI and it just crashed and the project file I was working on (that I had saved to two separate external hard drives) is nowhere to be found now, it didn't show up in my recent files and now I have searched where it was saved on both hard drives and it is completely gone. Awesome. So I guess my request is that if illustrator crashes make it to where it at least doesn't delete the project completely, and autosave backup would be nice but I'd really rather not have to start projects…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Hand drawn files from Photoshop need to automatically be changed to vectors when sending to Illustrator files

Hand drawn files from Photoshop need to automatically be changed to vectors when sending to Illustrator files

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. CC subfolders not visible when opening files

Currently if you organise AI. iles into project folders within your local CC folder, these subfolders aren't visible when opening in AI. Libraries offers the ability to categorise assets / files into project folders that are visible making it super easy to find specific files. I know there is a search feature but, with hundreds of assets, being able to have multi level folder structure visible when opening AI files from local CC folder would be awesome.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Multi selected Linked files Placement options change (links panel)

Preserve: transforms

Case:
    Multiple linked files on artboard. Default Placement option for all files is Preserve: Transforms.
    I need to change them for Preserve:File Dimension but must do it file by file,
    because after selecting all linked files Placement options are greyed out
    and not avaiable for multi use .

It would be nice to improve it by letting change Placement options for multi selected files.

I need to change 30000 of them clicking one by one right now. So any help (or bypass idea) to solve this problem will be greatly appreciated.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Please increase the number of fonts in ”Recent Fonts” option

I work with two different typeface families in daily base (since 1987 when I start with Illustrator). In preferences maximum value of recent fonts is 15. That is a half amount of what I need. Is it possible to increase that value to 30?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. File > Rename command

If you saved your file with a typo and want to fix it or to change name in general, you have to save, close, go to the file manager, find the file, rename (and hope Ai has not it locked), open it back (and then have an invalid item in File > Recent).

It would be so much easier to have a dedicated command for it.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Adobe installers for Mac install corrupt files

Adobe installers for Mac install corrupt files, as shown by DiskWarrior "Files - Check All Files and Folders”. For instance:

/Applications/Utilities/Adobe Application Manager/LWA/amtservices.framework/Versions/A/Resources/._Info.plist

/Applications/Utilities/Adobe Application Manager/LWA/asneu.framework/Versions/A/Resources/._Info.plist

It would be great if Adobe checked that to make sure all files are OK before releasing installers. Thanks.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. This might actually be useful in other products but have an "open frequent" as well as open recent, if you have to load a file alot

I was thinking you could add hexadecimal count in file so only adding a byte of data but then what happens when you share files ect, I don't know if there is already a easy way already in the metadata you could implement it

Now I know you can create libraries to sort of do what I'm saying or bridge.

A couple of situations where it would be useful loading up logo for a frequent client or company you work for.

If you have been working on a project with a few different files day and night for months, then…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. possibility to open AI and PDF files in AI

I am working on color files for shoes using Illustrator in multi-page. It would be great if I wouldn't have to share the files.
    But we are several people using the files, with different versions of AI, or for some of us only Acrobat.
    So what happens very often and drives me crazy is that I can't open files (incl my own) in multi page, and even if I can open page by page (and waste a lot of time putting them back together) it is with a lot of clipping masks created by the app and which…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Keeping same values as original files (ai)

Working on repetitive files with slight copy change is nice to store in the libraries. I enjoy the quick and easy access to the files. But they do not retain the same value as originally dragged into the libraries. The measurements are converted to pixels. The bleed and art board values are consolidated. It would be nice to store all values from AI into the libraries.
    Thank you!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Save frequent missing fonts selection for future files

I would love to be able to save or automatically apply missing font replacements.

Scenario: Adobe is dropping support for Type 1 fonts. Thousands of my Illustrator files contain a Type 1 font family. To head things off, I was able to obtain the required newer font format for the font family, but it is now seen as a new font by Illustrator (fair enough). But, now when I open up each file I have to painstakingly replace the old fonts with the new ones. Again, this applies to thousands of files and massively slows my process down.

The feature…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Import (or convert) Adobe Sketch and Adobe Draw files as paths instead of shapes

Please give an option in Illustrator to import or convert Adobe Sketch files as paths instead of shapes.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Better performance over networks by automatically copying files locally...

We store all our files on a network drive. Now I know that illustrator performance improves if I copy the network files locally before opening them in illustrator, but this is a major pain because I have to copy them back afterwards and if there are linked assets involved it becomes too much having to verify that all the links are pointing to the correct location.

It would be nice if AI had an option to do this copying automatically so that all non-local files that are opened are copied first into a temporary local directory and then saved back…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add compatibility of .rul files

Often for work I receive .dxf models with the related .rul developments, so I would need compatibility with .rul files to be able to work,
    thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Update linked assets for large number of files

I have an asset in CC Libraries that I used in 50+ ai files. Those ai files are then used in a layout in InDesign. If i change the asset in CC Libraries I would like a way to force an update of that asset to all those AI files so that the update propagates through to my InDesign layout.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Cloud, Libraries  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Open an InDesign file in Illustrator

Need to be able to open an Indesign file directly in AI. No reason to go to pdf and totally destroy the artwork. files are uneditable converting from Id to PDF to AI.

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. AI 2023 does not associate AI and EPS files correctly

Problem: after installing AI 2023 (vai CC update process) all of the .ai and .eps files are not associated with AI 2023 in Windows 11. The files now show up as "unknown filetype" and the AI 2023 EXE is not in the normal place.

This should never be a problem. Its not a problem with other CC updates, PDF files, PSD files, ext...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Restoring the CAD tree-view when importing DXF files.

Before version 25.1, when importing DXF files created with a CAD software (Solid Edge), each part of an assembly was recognized by Illustrator (1 part = 1 layer).
    This is not the case anymore since version 25.1. The last version in which it works is version 25.0.1

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. cancel all button while opening multiple files

when selecting a list of files for copy or move in explorer or finder, an accidental doubleclick will cause AI to open all files ....
    At present, one has to try and cancel every single open. Every now and then, AI quits in that situation or has to be killed

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Give the ability to export extra Spot colors in .PSD files (also implement the Mixed Inks feature)

I think it's for Adobe to implement the ability to export files in .PSD and have those extra colors in separate channels (maybe in CMYK mode plus the extra spot colors translated to extra color channels).

If it works well with PDF files why not with Photoshop files?

It's a real pain to get a 5 colors file (CMYK + Pantone color) exported to Photoshop. PSD files have all the colors flattened for the exported mode option (RGB, CMYK).

Also, it's time to think very serious about implement the Mixed Inks from Indesign into Illustrator and in the end…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base