Choose language:
There was an error during translation

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or
  1. possibility to open AI and PDF files in AI

I am working on color files for shoes using Illustrator in multi-page. It would be great if I wouldn't have to share the files.
    But we are several people using the files, with different versions of AI, or for some of us only Acrobat.
    So what happens very often and drives me crazy is that I can't open files (incl my own) in multi page, and even if I can open page by page (and waste a lot of time putting them back together) it is with a lot of clipping masks created by the app and which…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Change "Export For Screens" Save Path Default To File Folder

f I go to File > Export > Export For Screens the default save path points to the last folder I used. What we as users are expecting is the default path to be equal to the same folder as the Illustrator file is currently located in.

If you feel this should not be the default at least give us a way to change this in the AI Preferences. Thanks!

112 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

64 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Keeping same values as original files (ai)

Working on repetitive files with slight copy change is nice to store in the libraries. I enjoy the quick and easy access to the files. But they do not retain the same value as originally dragged into the libraries. The measurements are converted to pixels. The bleed and art board values are consolidated. It would be nice to store all values from AI into the libraries.
    Thank you!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Cloud, Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Export for Screens, CMYK to RGB

When working in a CMYK Illustrator file, the Export for Screens function currently creates CMYK jpgs. Since it is for screens, it should convert to RGB. Or at least there should be an option to convert the color mode for the exported files.

In a package design project, the files are primarily for printing, but digital mockups are a secondary purpose. So it is necessary for the CMYK color mode to be converted to RGB. Export for Screens seems like it should inherently create RGB files.

113 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

42 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. File > Rename command

If you saved your file with a typo and want to fix it or to change name in general, you have to save, close, go to the file manager, find the file, rename (and hope Ai has not it locked), open it back (and then have an invalid item in File > Recent).

It would be so much easier to have a dedicated command for it.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. extend/enhance package command for multiple files.

As it could be valuable to use the "package" feature to generate an autonomous version of a file with its own linked assets (linked image or lib Assets), it could be interesting to optimize and analyse multiple documents to relink files to a single copy when this file is common to multiple docs.

for Lib Assets it could be interesting to generate a library archive of those assets too, in the case of this "package" operation comes at the end of a project for archiving.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Autofind Missing Links like in Indesign

When I'm relinking a missing image in Indesign, it automatically finds other missing links in the same folder that a relinked to. It would be life changing if Illustrator did the same. Currently you have to manually relink each missing link which can become very tedious.

105 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Import (or convert) Adobe Sketch and Adobe Draw files as paths instead of shapes

Please give an option in Illustrator to import or convert Adobe Sketch files as paths instead of shapes.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. CC subfolders not visible when opening files

Currently if you organise AI. iles into project folders within your local CC folder, these subfolders aren't visible when opening in AI. Libraries offers the ability to categorise assets / files into project folders that are visible making it super easy to find specific files. I know there is a search feature but, with hundreds of assets, being able to have multi level folder structure visible when opening AI files from local CC folder would be awesome.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Cloud, Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Please increase the number of fonts in ”Recent Fonts” option

I work with two different typeface families in daily base (since 1987 when I start with Illustrator). In preferences maximum value of recent fonts is 15. That is a half amount of what I need. Is it possible to increase that value to 30?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Type, Fonts, Text  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Save frequent missing fonts selection for future files

I would love to be able to save or automatically apply missing font replacements.

Scenario: Adobe is dropping support for Type 1 fonts. Thousands of my Illustrator files contain a Type 1 font family. To head things off, I was able to obtain the required newer font format for the font family, but it is now seen as a new font by Illustrator (fair enough). But, now when I open up each file I have to painstakingly replace the old fonts with the new ones. Again, this applies to thousands of files and massively slows my process down.

The feature…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Type, Fonts, Text  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. I'd like the ability to import .spsm files to Materials.

When taken from Illustrator to a community-created assets page, there are tons of .spsm files and only a few .sbsar files. The .spsm files are the ones that I like, but I can't use them in Illustrator.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Effects, Appearance, Graphic Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Update linked assets for large number of files

I have an asset in CC Libraries that I used in 50+ ai files. Those ai files are then used in a layout in InDesign. If i change the asset in CC Libraries I would like a way to force an update of that asset to all those AI files so that the update propagates through to my InDesign layout.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Cloud, Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Let an application be associated with its files

Let an Application take control of its files at button press. After latest update Acrobat took over for AI files and it'd be nice to just press a button and fix it in Windows 10.

Currently manually trying to and Acrobat is fighting it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. cancel all button while opening multiple files

when selecting a list of files for copy or move in explorer or finder, an accidental doubleclick will cause AI to open all files ....
    At present, one has to try and cancel every single open. Every now and then, AI quits in that situation or has to be killed

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Open an InDesign file in Illustrator

Need to be able to open an Indesign file directly in AI. No reason to go to pdf and totally destroy the artwork. files are uneditable converting from Id to PDF to AI.

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Import all pages at once from PDF file (that doesn't have illustrator embeded)

I'm working at prepress for 20 years.. and verrrry often i need to open PDF files to correct some mistakes on many pages.. (like add bleed, or move all elements away from edges...

it would be cool if illustrator would allow to open all pages at once for multipage PDF files..

Ok, i know that i can edit page by page... or i can open one page, than save as with different name AI file, than open all other pages and copy content to that first saved AI document... but thats not cool for 8 page brochure..

thank you

171 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

18. Opening Fresco files from the cloud with Illustrator

Hello, it's really great that Illustrator can now open files from the cloud. But unfortunately not the sketches from Fresco. You still have to export them first and then you can open them in Illustrator. It would be great if you could change that, i.e. open PSDC files from the cloud in Illustrator. Thanks a lot

Gabi

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Cloud, Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

You are now able to send Fresco files to Illustrator on the desktop with the latest version of Fresco and Illustrator. You can also place embed Fresco files in Illustrator. Please give it a try. In the future, we will also add smoother options to copy paste objects on both the Illustrator surfaces – desktop and iOS.

Thanks,
    Sanjit

19. Save as multiple files in AI format

Only me who wants to save multiple files, in AI-format, from one document full of many pages? As it is today one can only check "Use pages" and choose page numbers if format EPS, PDF and SVG is picked. I find AI better to import into After Effects than EPS. That's why I want to save multiple files in AI format. Haven't tried SVG though... does SVG work in After Effects?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Can't default ai files to illustrator

Since the 2020 update I can't set illustrator as the default app for .ai file types on windows. Also can't open .ai files from a file explorer. Can only open them from inside illustrator using file>open command

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base