Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

865 results found

1. Let an application be associated with its files

Let an Application take control of its files at button press. After latest update Acrobat took over for AI files and it'd be nice to just press a button and fix it in Windows 10.

Currently manually trying to and Acrobat is fighting it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Export artboards from illustrator to a single, multi- artboard photoshop file

Export an illustrator file (with multiple artboards and layers) to photoshop (as a single, multi- artboard psd file).

Currently illustrator exports multiple, separate.psd files.
    You then need to copy and paste from individual files into a multi- artboard .psd file.

If the above idea is integrated, it would make bringing screen layouts into into xd for prototyping UIs much easier.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Import all pages at once from PDF file (that doesn't have illustrator embeded)

I'm working at prepress for 20 years.. and verrrry often i need to open PDF files to correct some mistakes on many pages.. (like add bleed, or move all elements away from edges...

it would be cool if illustrator would allow to open all pages at once for multipage PDF files..

Ok, i know that i can edit page by page... or i can open one page, than save as with different name AI file, than open all other pages and copy content to that first saved AI document... but thats not cool for 8 page brochure..

thank you

175 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

4. Sharing a Batch of Files for Feedback & Review

The new 2022 features include the ability to share a single document and get feedback within the CC software from other contributors on any internet browser. Please add the ability for users to share multiple files at a single time. I need to be able to send a batch of files for review.

Thanks!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Cloud, Libraries  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Opening Fresco files from the cloud with Illustrator

Hello, it's really great that Illustrator can now open files from the cloud. But unfortunately not the sketches from Fresco. You still have to export them first and then you can open them in Illustrator. It would be great if you could change that, i.e. open PSDC files from the cloud in Illustrator. Thanks a lot

Gabi

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

You are now able to send Fresco files to Illustrator on the desktop with the latest version of Fresco and Illustrator. You can also place embed Fresco files in Illustrator. Please give it a try. In the future, we will also add smoother options to copy paste objects on both the Illustrator surfaces – desktop and iOS.

Thanks,
    Sanjit

6. Status bar for when files save

Illustrator will not let you save as if it's saving. You basically get a message that says the file is saving and to try again after the process is complete. Yet there is no status bar, so you have to keep trying (guessing) until it's done. Photoshop at least shows a save status bar and also will do the next task automatically when it's done saving.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Illustrator Version History Panel for Synced Files

It would be nice if the Version History Panel within Illustrator also showed the History for Items locally saved and synced via Creative Cloud Files. The information and abilities are there when you view the file via the Creative Cloud Files Web page so it would just be a matter of the panel bringing in that information to the Panel from the website. It would be helpful to have that info locally within Illustrator instead of having to go out to a webpage in a browser.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Cloud, Libraries  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Combining Ai files into one as we can do with PDF

Some time we need to combine separate files into one for sending to customer or for printing. Idea is to combine separate ai files into one as we can do with Pdf.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Master Illustrator File Placed in Multiple Illustrator Files OR Export Selected Layers Palette

In my line of work, we often time work in one single Illustrator file that has one basemap then multiple layers with each showing a specific thing separate from the other layers. However this gets tedious when exporting files where you have to select the layers you want, export as it's own name, deselect those layers and select the next batch of layers, export those under their own name, deselect those layers etc.

What would be great is if Illustrator had the ability to have something like a Master Layer that can bring in a basemap Illustrator file to have…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 51 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Automation when opening multiple identical files for adjustments

Have 5 identical DXF files that need to be opened at the same scale (1-1 mm) centered on a 12 x 24 artboard and saved out as PDF. Some way to record this like an action so that when the second file is opened the scale, rulers and save as options are preserved, and perhaps the save to location. Process perhaps 300 such files per year and this would be a huge time saver. Even if only a single file it would be nice to have some persistent parameters that could be set when opening a file such as always…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Show "proxy" preview on placed PDF files instead of hi-res

Just like you have "proxy" link for placed Photoshop.eps files - apply the same feature for PDFs. When PDFs are placed in IL as links, no-one needs hi-res preview of PDFs which causes super sluggish performance of IL. Anything you do in IL, is being slow cause that hi-res preview is on all the time. This feature allows you to place super big files (gigabytes) and handle them with ease. I just wish you can do this with PDF. All Adobe needs to do is use PDF thumbnail (option).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Return showing thumbnail file previews on Windows

Please add thumbnail file previews to Windows as we have with Adobe Reader. It's not fair that Mac users have this and Windows users don't While you're doing that please add them to PSD files as well.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Allow creative cloud files to be opened 2 times at once like you can with computer files

I commonly open 2 different copies of the same file so I can see how changes I make while zoomed in will effect the artwork zoomed out without having to zoom in and out over and over again, but for some reason you can't do this with cloud files, and that is why I never end up using them. If they just added the ability to open the cloud files like you can with files on your actual computer I would be much more likely to actually use cloud files more consistently

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Export for Screens, CMYK to RGB

When working in a CMYK Illustrator file, the Export for Screens function currently creates CMYK jpgs. Since it is for screens, it should convert to RGB. Or at least there should be an option to convert the color mode for the exported files.

In a package design project, the files are primarily for printing, but digital mockups are a secondary purpose. So it is necessary for the CMYK color mode to be converted to RGB. Export for Screens seems like it should inherently create RGB files.

137 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. File synchronization fails for ai files saved with CC 2018

I sync my files across several computers using Unison (an rsync command line tool). Since updating, .ai files will not synchronize. I am running macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 and CC 2018 v 22.0.0 on the computers that I am syncing.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. make ai file. A4 RGB layout with one text item. Save.
    2. run Unison.
    3. synchronization fails with message that the ai file does not exist on the other computer because it could not be renamed from the tmp version of the ai file that unison pulls from the other computer.

Not sure if this is…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. File Specific "Export For Screen" Settings (mainly location)

As a designer with multiple files,
    I want the ability to set the export for screens folder per file,
    So that I don't have to constantly relocate the location of the output for each file I open up. It would be helpful to get **** done.

• When exporting a file the location identified for the first time is saved for subsequent times I access to export.
    26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Creative Cloud Documents - File Management

I think one of the most important facilities for making good use of Cloud Docs will be document management. I have been extremely frustrated by the total lack of such features in the recent Document Open interface, which just lists some very small number of recent docs, without any consideration of folders, projects, clients, or other important organizational features. The OS provides us with hierarchical folders that can do a fairly good job of organizing the dozens (sometimes hundreds) of files on a project or for a client, but without some facilities for that purpose, I can see the proliferation…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Keep Layers from PDF when opening the file in Illustrator.

We use InDesign to do packaging design, usually having multiple variations of the same general design. We then export as PDF and have some vendors who like to get .AI files instead. The problem we are facing, is that when we save the PDFs with Layers (from InDesign), they all flatten when we open the file in Illustrator. There needs to be a way to preserve the PDF layers when opening in Illustrator.

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base