Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

867 results found

1. Keep Layers from PDF when opening the file in Illustrator.

We use InDesign to do packaging design, usually having multiple variations of the same general design. We then export as PDF and have some vendors who like to get .AI files instead. The problem we are facing, is that when we save the PDFs with Layers (from InDesign), they all flatten when we open the file in Illustrator. There needs to be a way to preserve the PDF layers when opening in Illustrator.

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Allow adding Patterns and Gradient swatches to Color Groups

Expanding on the existing request for gradient swatch support in color groups... We need groups that support all swatch types. I understand the purpose of Color Groups but the intuitive way to use these folders is as a generic "Swatch Group", without limitation to swatch type in order that we can organize assets appropriately within a project.

My suggestion is either to allow gradient and pattern swatches to be added to a Color Groups or add a new super group type that can contain any swatch type and color groups as well.

Groups would be organized in rows: color, gradients,…

134 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Mixed Ink Swatch like Indesign.

Please add the Mixed Ink swatch like Indesign. This would simplify building files with varnish, white ink, and bump plates.

70 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Batch import of .ase files directly to the swatches palette

For example, if I have a dozen .ase files from different colleges, opening them one by one and adding them to my swatches takes time. I'd rather put them into a folder and have Illustrator import them all. Having them import as Color Groups should be kept.
    I'd like to be able to do this.
    Swatches > Open Swatch Library > Other Library > [folder name]
    Every .ase file in that folder should open up/be imported in my swatches palette. Bam! I'm done!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Disable scale stroke on placed CC files

We would like to have the option to disable the scaling of stroke in placed (linked) CC library files. Ie. if we scale the placed file 200% the stroke of the object in the file stays at 1pt instead of increasing to 2pt.

We have a CC library with a large component library with various electronic and mechanical components. These components should always look exactly the same, but sometimes they need to be scaled. When they are scaled they need to keep the original stroke weight in order to look the same as the other placed components. Since there…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Using a character other than underscore for appending artboard names when exporting files.

Right now when exporting artboards from an .ai file, illustrator names the file with the original filename and the artboard name, separated by an underscore. I would prefer a dash, as the underscore isn't recognized as a non-word character when double-clicking to select text. Giving the user the able to select the prefix character would solve this problem.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Data merge like Indesign

It would be nice if you could have the data merge function like in Indesign so you can import .csv-files.

58 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Correctly include vector objects from previous Illustrator version files

A customer file created in CC 15 MAC and (according to tech support) using a CS/3 template does not open properly in CC 18. a group of objects appear as a missing linked file rather that the actual objects. However CS/5 opens the file and placed the vector objects inside a clip mask properly, allowing access to the vector path information. Why would CC18 not have the same capability? Worse, why would it confuse the issue stating a linked file is missing? The vector info is obviously in the file (since it appears in CS/3 and CS/5, get that info…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Dear Team, Need AI can save files faster when we all are working homes, in a lower network speed.

Adobe AI getting more slower in the aspects of saving even small files, when we all are working from home till now, it should be save much faster our files and can save some backup files even.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Export for Screens .pdf saves all artboards in file

When Export for Screens is used to export pdfs, it saves ALL artboards for every .pdf, creating very large files. This means I have to export the pdf, then reopen the pdf in Illustrator and manually delete the other artboards and other artwork and resave it so that the pdf only contains the artboard that should be in that file.

This is clearly not the intention of the feature.

It would actually be quicker to just copy and paste it into a new file, as it can take a lot of time if you have a large file with…

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Asset export dialog does not have this option to export each file as a separate file it only has option on all artboards in one file, range of artboards or selected artboards in the dialog or the whole of document into one pdf file.
    I am moving this request as a new feature request

11. Share to Review: Attach files to comments, Zoom more than 100%

Attach file to comment. Typically the client add in quick sketches, reference images, new logo files and so on and it would be super helpful if they could attach those files to the comment in review mode to avoid having to still use e-mail or similar services to get quick assets between us and them.

Deeper zoom function: The pdf can only be zoomed in to 100% of the artboard setting, so some details can't be seen. Infinite zoom would be ideal.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Recent updates have made working with type more difficult

Using type in illustrator used to be a breeze. Now it seems you need near pixel-perfect accuracy to highlight or to select the type box. Often now you will just end up creating a new type box when trying to highlight type already present. Honestly, it worked great before whatever update changed this and now it's somewhat irritating to use. It's not a major issue really, but sometimes the old 'if it isn't broken, don't fix it' advice should be heeded.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Remember save locations and export naming conventions on a per-file basis.

Currently, Illustrator does not remember where you saved your files last and always defaults to the folder that your source file is in. I would prefer if it were to remember export locations on a per-file basis.

Similarly, with Export for Screens, the prefix and suffix options should be part of the individual file's metadata, not set globally.

v 22.1, MacOS

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Fix synch with Google Drive

Fix the software to be able to save files to Google Drive. Currently if I save over an existing file hosted on Google Drive the new version does not save (if I quit the software, then try and open the file, only the original save/creation file loads, not the most recent version, which results in the loss of work).

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add an option to not zoom to the artboard at newly created files

When you create a document in Ai, it first gets created and they Ai fits the artboard in window. For me, at Windows, it also happens with a noticeable delay, which sucks.
    But in the first place — why does it do it? I never asked for it, I want it to be at 100% and have it fitted only when the artboard is larger than my viewport, not smaller!
    I’d like to have at least a key value to edit somewhere in Prefs file to disable this auto-zooming.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Please make the units setting bound to the files, or at least change with workspaces!

Adding to this idea:
    https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/32403850-make-units-and-grid-settings-to-be-bound-to-file#comments

I work with both printed and digital formats, on top of that much of my work is multilingual, involving English, Japanese, Portuguese and other languages (at least we don't deal with LTR type... for the time!).

As such, I'm constantly changing units from mm to pixels and points, type from points to mm to Q, it's a mess! And I do that several times a day.

I guess the easier path would be to bind the units settings to the workspaces, as binding to the files would require changing the .ai format. But what do…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. No strokes on linked files

Illustrator CC 2017 (up to date) Windows 64bit
    Place a linked file, eg. a jpg
    Add a stroke to the linked file object in the appearance panel
    Try and change the stroke weight.
    Expected a stroke. like any other.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Strokes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To have strokes around your linked images, you should do some additional steps:

1. Apply a stroke (obviously)

2. Open Appearance panel

3. Focus the applied stroke attribute

4. Apply Path > Outline Object effect

It should be placed 'inside' of the stroke attribute, not the object itself. You can always drag-n-drop it if you missed.

Why does it work?

The image does not have a path for a stroke to be applied to. If you aplly the effect to the image directly, its pixel data is replaced by a path around the bounding box. Applied to stroke, it give it 'rails' to be stroked along.

Not easy to grasp, but once you get it, Appearance panel becomes your best friend.

18. compare .ai files

similar to compare PDF's in acrobat - the ability to compare differences between ai documents. this is useful sometime if comparing artworks pre press or outlined versions compared to live type.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Import later versions of dwg

I would love to see an update so that you can import later versions of dwg files than AutoCad 2007. Most of our clients are working in later versions so it has become a big problem for us not being able to import these files into Illustrator.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Is it possible to change the files inside number in running order on each file in a folder with an action?

Is it possible to change the files inside number in running order on each file in a folder with an action?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Actions  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base