Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

1469 results found

1. Option to replace RGB sliders with HSB everywhere - all swatches and all color pickers.

We need ability to universally use HSB instead of RBG. I want the ability to fully replace RGB input and sliders with HSB everywhere in AI. I never want to look at RGB sliders ever again.
    This request is all over the forum in different phrasings/forms but unfortunately that has divided the votes leading to lower ranking.

Here is the same request with 87 votes oddly worded as "Illustrator forgets which color mode is set in the Color palette (and Gradient)"
    https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests?filter=top&query=Option%20to%20replace%20RGB%20sliders%20with%20HSB%20everywhere%20-%20all%20swatches%20and%20all%20color%20pickers.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. An option to hide the HEX field in Color or make it pop in RGB/HSB only

Starting version 27.6.1, we are given a permanent HEX field in Color panel, following these two request:
    1. https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/38816713-make-the-hex-code-box-visible-for-all-color-modes
    2. https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/37009090-show-hex-value-in-swatch-panel

But some users do not like seeing it all the time and would like to be able to disable it, or at least pop only for RGB and HSB only.

Please add this option into Color panel’s flyout menu.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. A big persistent Color palette offering RGB and HSB and Grayscale at a glance.

When making Illustrations, I switch between RGB / HSB and Grayscale all the time. I have a 30" screen - room enough to show all mixers all the time.
    Please make this possible.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Keyboard shortcut to switch between colour panels (RGB/HSB)

I use both the HSB and the RGB colour panels all the time. To switch between them, the user currently has to select from the options menu or shift-click multiple times to cycle through.

What would be really great is to be able to assign shortcuts to specific colour panels.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Replace or Delete Swatches should automatically re-color objects with new swatch

I propose swatches have the function of applying new color to objects on the art board whenever a color needs to be replaced with a different color. Instead of simply deleting the current swatch, we should be prompted to "replace current color with new color?" then select the new color after adding it to the palette, then BAM! all the objects are automatically updated with the new color. (Example: art editor says that we will print only using 2 colors: black text with red headlines. I already have the art set using black and…

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Preserve Names When Adding Color to Swatches From Library

If you add a color to Swatches from a Library, the name of the color is lost and defaults to the RGB or CMYK values. It would be nice if those names were preserved.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Option to turn off swatches automatic naming by color

Swatches get named by the color code automatically. This ends up conflicts with swatches with same color definition. Even in preview mode in global swatch I get message that same name exists. Really annoying and I have to name swatch 'asdfasfdasdf' mostly.

Suggestion: Option turn off naming by color, but name like swatch 1, swatch 2.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Have swatch tooltips show actual CMYK or RGB values

I'd like the swatch tooltips to show the actual CMYK/RGB/HSB etc. values instead of the user created name. Or, at least have the "Name with Color Value" checkbox, like InDesign does.

In a document where i have numerous color values that can sometimes be one percentage point of difference from another, this would be helpful in grouping them and then merging those near identical colors.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Edit Global Swatch directly via Color Picker

Currently a multi-step process to update a Global swatch using Color Picker. Change a swatch via color picker then drag the active color swatch that’s at the top of the swatches panel down into the panel and from there that color can be dragged over a global swatch to update it. Better: just double click whilst in Global swatch and use color picker. Currently can only use sliders whilst in a Global swatch.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Make the hex code box visible for all color modes on the color panel. Not just RGB modes.

I only ever use HSB to dial in my color and it slows me down to double click on the color to only have to copy the hex code in a different window. The only modes that currently have a box that displays the hex code are RGB or WebsafeRGB. This is missing for all other modes such as HSB, CMYK and Grayscale. Make the hex code box visible for all color modes on the color panel, please.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Illustrator forgets which color mode is set in the Color palette (and Gradient)

Color panel always starts with RGB values. That's useless or very hard to use 99% of the time. So first thing for me is to set my Color panel to HSB and it stays like that for that session, but after a restart it's RGB again. Always!
    Gradient panel is even worse because it forgets instantly.
    Standard gradient's pop up color select is a Grayscale slider. I've never in my life needed that - not to mention HSB has the same with the value slider. But this bothers me less than what follows:
    If I change Grayscale to HSB and…

103 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Save Default Swatches from Swatches Palette

This is a struggle ever since. In the latest release, when creating an RGB document, I get tons of CMYK Swatches in the swatches palette. Why?

Please make it easy to save Default Swatches for each color mode, preferably from within the Swatches Palette.

Please don't suggest saving a Template, since that does not work due to privilege settings.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Dual Colour Values for Each Colour Swatch for CMYK and RGB Modes

I use brand colours that have specific colour values in CMYK and RGB. When I create a design in RGB and then have to convert it to CMYK for print I have to import the CMYK swatches after changing the document colour mode to CMYK and then globally replace all the colours. I would like it if when you define a swatch you can have an option to give it an RGB value for RGB mode and a CMYK value for CMYK mode. Then you could switch between colour modes without having to deal with new swatches and colour …

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Drop shadow can't use global color swatches

Drop shadow's color can be set to global swatch, but is doesn't stick to the effect, it only got sampled. So when you change your global swatch, shadow remains colored with previous color.
    Please, make Drop shadow and other raster effects use global swatches for real.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Separating Swatches/Color for Objects and Tools?

Insanely enough that Illustrator still not able to distinct in betweet color swatches for selected objects/paths and swatches for tools (Brushes, Live Paint, Paint Bucket, etc.) are you nuts guys?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Make Black Swatch really Black in RGB mode

An old annoyance: in many occasions, in RGB Document mode the Default Black Swatch is not black, but 15,15,15 gray.
    This problem shows up in every new version.
    Please make sure that when a document is in RGB mode, the Black and White swatches are 0,0,0 and 255,255,255 - just as we may expect.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Export for Screens, CMYK to RGB

When working in a CMYK Illustrator file, the Export for Screens function currently creates CMYK jpgs. Since it is for screens, it should convert to RGB. Or at least there should be an option to convert the color mode for the exported files.

In a package design project, the files are primarily for printing, but digital mockups are a secondary purpose. So it is necessary for the CMYK color mode to be converted to RGB. Export for Screens seems like it should inherently create RGB files.

137 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow adding Patterns and Gradient swatches to Color Groups

Expanding on the existing request for gradient swatch support in color groups... We need groups that support all swatch types. I understand the purpose of Color Groups but the intuitive way to use these folders is as a generic "Swatch Group", without limitation to swatch type in order that we can organize assets appropriately within a project.

My suggestion is either to allow gradient and pattern swatches to be added to a Color Groups or add a new super group type that can contain any swatch type and color groups as well.

Groups would be organized in rows: color,…

133 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Color swatch variables

Add color and pattern swatches as options in variables pallet.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. The default color space should be RGB.

It is 2023, with the changes in printing technologies, Ai should have RGB as the default color space. I know that there are long time users who probably live in cmyk, but aren't best practices to work in RGB and then convert to cmyk for the particular job?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 73 74
  • Don't see your idea?