When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. The ability to switch 2 colours around when both are selected

Working on a logo at the moment and was thinking that it could be helpful if there was an 'inverse' option in illustrator, or the ability to switch 2 colours around if you have both objects selected at the same time, e.g. black becomes white and white becomes black. Possibly only possible if you have global colour selected on both colours? Very handy when 'sketching' ideas and quickly need to switch colours.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Multiple Color Assignment - NIGHTMARE

At some point Illustrator added some kind of multiple color assignment where a shape could be assigned a color and then also the group it's in could be assigned a different color or something like this. I just want to say that this "feature" has cost me so much wasted time trying to change the color of an object. It makes the eyedropper not work correctly and making a simple color change become a nightmare because it has it has multiple assignments and it just won't change colors and you have hit "no fill" a bunch of times to clear…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Simultaneous Color Palette Modes

I need access to both RGB and HSB color values/sliders in my workflow. Currently I use the Color palette set to RGB (since it won't stay on HSB) and I use the MagicPicker extension for HSB.

I use them both so frequently that it's a pain to use one and menu-dive to change it, I really need both simultaneously.

My request is that the color palette in AI be multi-mode, e.g. allow me to open all of the color slider sets I want at once (appearing in stack), and just change focus between them if object selection changes or if…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Illustrator Swatch Panel to behave like InDesign

Colours should always be global.
    If a colour is deleted, it can be replaced with another.
    Global colours don't get converted to Spot colours when added to CC Library
    Introduce Mixed Ink colours

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Show HEX value in swatch panel

I often need to copy HEX values from illustrator swatches into other applications. My workflow would be accelerated if there was a text field showing the HEX value like in the color picker window.

Right now I need to apply the swatch to an object and copy the HEX value from the color picker window.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. not grayscale color as default, or set other color setting as a default

I know that you can change the color mode in color window. But it's really pain in the *ss to do it every time I create a new document.
    and the idea setting grayscale as a default for every document with every color mode is ridicolous . (why Illustrator not changing it since it's way too inconvinient)
    Idk the history of Illustrator etc. and I won't be bothered by it, I just want to have an option to change the default color setting. that's it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Be able to add Swatch chips to artboard

Be able to select a swatch and be able to add a chip of that colour to the artboard which displays the colour breakdown information (CMYK, RGB, etc) or specific colour name/number (Pantone). This would be useful to show what colours an artwork is made up of or for colour reference.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Freeform Gradient can be edited by Recolor Artwork Tool

As with other colors/gradients, it would be ideal if the new Freeform gradient can be adjusted with the Recolor Artwork tool. For example if I have a monochromatic red gradient setup and want to duplicate it identically but shift it to a monochromatic blue setup, I don't seem to be able to do that currently. When selecting the freeform gradient affected shape, the Recolor Artwork tool doesn't change anything. Please allow Recolor Artwork tool to shift/adjust the color of a freeform gradient. Thanks!

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Gradient Eye Dropper click and drag to analyze the colors under the length of a vector

if i drag my cursor across an image the illustrator program should be able to make an assessment of the various properties of color under the path that was drawn.

this could easily be turned into a pallet with relational distance parameters and a cool gradient tool with a number of samples resolution feature to adjust the density of changes across the gradient would be very welcome in our illustrator tool set.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Gradient Swatch includes angle and position, please!

Currently a Gradient swatch only includes color and transparency. PLEASE build Illustrator so Gradient Swatches include angle and position!

It's a pain to have to adjust the gradient angle, after a Gradient Swatch attribute has been applied to an object. If the angle were editable and save-able (in the swatch) it would be wonderful!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. approximate Pantone from a process color similar to Photoshop

If you choose a color from the color picker in Photoshop, it will show you the nearest equivalent in the Pantone library.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Hue cube / Live Color Picker

Would it be possible to import the Hue cube from Photoshop when choosing color? MagicPicker plugin won't work when selecting gradient colors (it will just replace the gradient completely) and Color Picker doesn't allow for real-time changes, you need to select the color and press OK to see the change. Color tab works perfectly, but the available color palette is impractical to use. I have no clue why you are not using the same setup as in Photoshop, where the Color tab looks exactly like the Color Picker. People have been complaining about this for 4 years now.

Youtube video…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. image trace distorts the image

Image trace creates a transparent line around the image so when added to swatches, the image doesn't go together. There is a transparent line around the swatch

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Asset Export Color Mode Default

There needs to be a settings for the Asset Export that allows us to select a default color mode to export with. I always build in CMYK and it's irritating to have to convert the whole file to RGB in order to use Asset Export to export out an RGB jpeg etc. Give us a option menu setting that is something like: Export CMYK as RGB. I always export out CMYK jpegs by accident. Doesn't matter on Instagram, but other platforms they look like **** because it's a CMYK image. I NEVER export out CMYK images from Ai. And why…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. The Graphic Styles Panel needs to have Global and Local panels to allow persistent styles across Illustrator

We create a lot of vector elements and having to change the fill and stroke every time is painful. No fill/No stroke as the default would be MUCH better. Why it's a white fill and black stroke is beyond me.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Color adjusment like Photoshop: Hue/saturation and Brightness/contrast in one window

Color adjusment like Photoshop: Hue/saturation and Brightness/contrast in one window

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Adobe should add newly released Pantone colors with every software update. Responsibility for this should not fall on user shoulders.

Adobe should add newly released Pantone colors with every software update. Responsibility for this should not fall on user shoulders.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Give the Colors panel a useful color picker

Illustrator has a number of different color pickers that appear depending on what particular item you click on, but the one in the color panel is the least useful and most tiring to use.

As far as I can tell, this picker is the Brightness Cube from Photoshop but without the brightness slider that’s needed to make effective use of it. If you use the sliders to adjust saturation or brightness, the change isn’t reflected in the palette square.

With this picker, you can either reduce saturation but with maximum brightness, OR you can reduce brightness but with maximum saturation.…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Recolor Artwork Link Harmony Colors on by default

We only ever need to use the Recolor Artwork feature with the Link Harmony Colors on. Is it possible to have it remember the last setting that you used rather than defaulting to it not being on.

Not a big thing but would be handy!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. image trace setting that supports the maximum 5 color import to color library pallet restriction

the ability to generate pallets from images using live trace is great, i was dismayed when i created a swatch library then tried to export the swatch set to the library it gave me an error indicating that only exports with 1 to 5 colors in the set were allowed to be sent to the library.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base