When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Keep color values when applying freeform gradients

When applying a freeform gradient, Illustrator picks up colors from everywhere around the selected artwork, also the selected object itself. It would be extremely helpful if it could reliably keep the exact color values the object has, so you don't need to adjust it.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Simplify the Color Panels

Why are there so many different panels in Illustrator for working with colors? The color-making panels in InDesign are so much simpler than Illustrator. It's super cumbersome and reminds me of trying to design something in MS Word. Simplify please. Make it like InDesign.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Export Color Codes for all colors in a file

I often have to put together style guides and have to manually (literally by hand) write down each color's codes for CMYK, RGB and HEX from Illustrator down onto a sheet of paper and then type those into the InDesign file for the style guide's color section.

It would be super helpful to be able to export a report for all of the colors used in a file and be able to see the RGB/HEX codes and the CMYK codes for each (depending on what the document color mode is set to)

Example:
    Color 1:
    CMYK 100, 100, 100, 100 …

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Illustrator 2019 Freeform Gradient and compound paths not quite right

When applying a freeform grad to a compound path, the effect struggles to jump a gap between paths, leaving odd results. If you create a path with a "hole" in the middle and create grad its OK. Move the whole fully out of the enclosing shape and its blank, move back into to cross border line and it works correctly with overlap creating hole.

In the attached file, the four squares are a compound path. Top right shows standard linear gradient covering the whole shape. The top left fort squares are supposed to share a freeform grad copied from the…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Color Picker live preview!

When i choose color with color picker there is no live preview. I have to click OK to view selected color and if I don't like it, have to do all this again. Do it as it is in Photoshop.

90 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. In illustrator, you can't add a stroke to an image file. But when you click on an image, it shows the option to select a stroke colour/size

In illustrator, you can't add a stroke to an image file. But when you click on an image, it shows the option to select a stroke colour/size

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. incorrect color assignments

Actions to change path color to black instead turn the path white on the first try. Repeating the exact same action flow a second time in a row turns the path black.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. The Color panel pops up when you click on stroke/fill selector

The Color panel pops up every time you click on the stroke or fill selectors. There is no way to disable this panel from popping up, even if you close it, it will open and come to the forefront. Many of us don't need or use the color panel; we use the swatches or other panel. Why is this panel being forced on those of us who don't use/want it?

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. How about updating the Pantone+ library so it actually includes all the colors available.

How about updating the Pantone+ library so it actually includes all the colors available. There are 112 new colors that we cant use.

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Global Process Colors get added twice when added from a CC library, lose their name and become Spot colors.

Create a Global Process Color Swatch and add it to a CC library.
    In a new document, select this color in the library, right click and choose
    Add to Swatches.
    The color gets added 2 times, becomes a spot color and loses it’s name.
    Or, in a new document double click the color in the Library. It gets added only once, keeps it’s name but becomes a Spot color.

71 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Background:

• CC libraries does not have support for Global Process Colors
    • Some users have spoken about InDesign – InDesign does not support Global Process colors
    • Illustrator does support process colors , global process colors and spot colors. The issue is specefic to global process colors – since it is not supported in CC Libraries. We have added the request to support in CC libraries backlog,

Workaround:

• Create Process colors in Illustrator and add it to CC libraries – deselect the global checkbox
  11. Freeform gradient feedback

1. Not working at all on compound shapes

2. After selecting an object some stops disappear

3. When copying the gradient to a smaller shapes some stops disappear. I know that the stops that are outside the shape will disappear, but would be nice if the gradient scaled down or something to fit in the new shape.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Templates created do not store color profile attribution

Steps to reproduce:

1. Start a new document

2. Use the menu Edit -> Assign Profile...

3. Assign a profile to the document, such as Working CMYK

4. Save this document as a template (.ait)

5. Open the template file just created

6. This new document will not have a color profile assigned

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Discard all Overprints

I work specifically in digital prepress for POP displays, and never use overprinting at all. Removing overprinting from a document can be a hassle as I work with documents that almost always contain a mix of solid objects, linked raster images and other things. I consider myself extremely lucky when I find a document that I can easily remove all overprints from in one go

Illustrator already has a "Discard white overprints" in the document setup (although I rarely use this menu). We should either have a menu option to remove all overprints from a document, or at least an…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Freeform gradients to grayscale

It would be awesome if we could convert freeform gradients to grayscale just like with a normal gradient.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Recolor Artwork flip 2 colors

I want to quickly flip 2 colors within a multi-colored design.

Lets say I have Object A (RED) and Object B (Blue) I want A to be Blue and B to be red. I try to find tutorials about it but couldn't find any. I have tryed everything in recolor artwork but its not possible to switch simply two colors (withing a multi-colored design, large file to see different color options quickly)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Select All Unused Key Command

Hello,

It would be very useful if custom key commands could be applied to palette commands. Specifically, I would love to create a key command for "Select All Unused" in the swatches palette drop-down menu. It currently requires a click in the palette, scroll down to select the command, clicking the garbage can in the palette then clicking (or enter/return) to confirm that you want to delete unused swatches. Some days I convert hundreds of files swatches from Pantone to CMYK then to RGB. A key command would speed this up dramatically!

Thank you!
    User since Illustrator 88!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow to add dithering to gradients

We have banding when printing gradients from exported TIFF-files.

I have to open them in Photoshop, search a way to select areas with gradients and apply noise in channels needed.

I can apply Grain effect to gradients where I need, but this makes everything run very slow.

What if you add dithering as an option to gradient swatch? or to fill?
    So it could be displayed in screen space, applied to current level of zoom, and would export as raster images as well? without slowing down?

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Drop shadow can't use global color swatches

Drop shadow's color can be set to global swatch, but is doesn't stick to the effect, it only got sampled. So when you change your global swatch, shadow remains colored with previous color.
    Please, make Drop shadow and other raster effects use global swatches for real.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Update pantone libray please

As a paying customer Adobe shoul update the new Pantone library without purchasing it from pantone!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. ********** Tolerance Preferences

Please allow the ability to save (or remember) ********** Tolerance Prefs. When I change it from 20 to 1, I want it stay that way the next time I open it, and not have to change it every time. Thanks!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base