Illustrator Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please bring back the slider for the gradient angle adjustment!!!

There used to be a slider for the angle adjustment of gradients. It was great because I didn't have to know the angle or the direction in numbers, (which designers are notoriously bad at, by the way) I could freely adjust the angle based on how it looked. The way it is now, with a textbook and a dropdown menu, is so much more work and SO FRUSTRATING. I don't want to have to type in increments and figure out if I need to make it a negative angle.
    PLEASE GIVE ME THE SLIDER BACK!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you!
    Maia

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Color adjusment like Photoshop: Hue/saturation and Brightness/contrast in one window

Color adjusment like Photoshop: Hue/saturation and Brightness/contrast in one window

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Apply transparency to color in "recolor artwork" tool box

Apply transparency to color in "recolor artwork" tool box

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Find color in artwork

Sometimes I have a stray color that I cannot find in the artwork. It would be nice if there was a way I could click on the swatch and say find color and it would highlight everything that color was used on.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add a swatch from a color inside a gradient in Adobe Illustrator

When you are working in a gradient, you may customize your colors inside. However, there's no way to add this new color as a swatch - or even to be given a HEX code. Let's make this more functional!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Smart/Adaptive Colors

Smart colors would allow a user to apply different numerical values to a color within their Swatches, and lock them across color profiles. This would differ from the current standards by allowing users to preselect the different values for each color profile and lock them in, ensuring better consistency throughout materials.

For example, if the document is in CMYK, the color will adapt the the CMYK values applied and locked to the color. When dragged into a new project set up in RGB, the color would adapt to the assigned RBG values. This would also allow the opportunity to link…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Simultaneous Color Palette Modes

I need access to both RGB and HSB color values/sliders in my workflow. Currently I use the Color palette set to RGB (since it won't stay on HSB) and I use the MagicPicker extension for HSB.

I use them both so frequently that it's a pain to use one and menu-dive to change it, I really need both simultaneously.

My request is that the color palette in AI be multi-mode, e.g. allow me to open all of the color slider sets I want at once (appearing in stack), and just change focus between them if object selection changes or if…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Illustrator color picker - live preview please

When you double click a foreground or background swatch and change the color of an object it should change the color while you are moving around in the picker, or at the very least there should be a preview button like filters, etc. It's brutally annoying to have to click OK each time to preview a new color.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Freeform Gradient 0% Opacity Option

The freeform gradient is a wonderful tool but it would be more robust if the gradient points can be put to 0% opacity so there's a nice fade. At the moment, the point disappears if you bring the opacity down to zero.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Automatic colorcards on artboards from swatches with color codes and colors

As a designer i really need a feature that makes it able to drag a swatch or a color group (ex. a Pantone swatch/colorgroup) onto the artboard and then be able to make a colorcard with a colored square and a textbox with the choosen color(s) color codes beside the square.

We do this manually and it takes a lot of time. We really hope this can be something we in the future could do automatic.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add persistent Swatch libraries to Workspace settings + maintained across upgrades

Allow swatch libraries selected as persistent to be stored as part of a workspace (including palette group & position), and make them persistent across upgrades. I'm tired of having to recreate my palettes every **** time there's some minor 'agile' upgrade.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Hue cube / Live Color Picker

Would it be possible to import the Hue cube from Photoshop when choosing color? MagicPicker plugin won't work when selecting gradient colors (it will just replace the gradient completely) and Color Picker doesn't allow for real-time changes, you need to select the color and press OK to see the change. Color tab works perfectly, but the available color palette is impractical to use. I have no clue why you are not using the same setup as in Photoshop, where the Color tab looks exactly like the Color Picker. People have been complaining about this for 4 years now.

Youtube video…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Adobe should add newly released Pantone colors with every software update. Responsibility for this should not fall on user shoulders.

Adobe should add newly released Pantone colors with every software update. Responsibility for this should not fall on user shoulders.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Cross-Colorspace Swatches

It's industry standard to define brand colors in more than one colorspace. Usually you have at least PMS, CMYK and RGB definitions of each brand color you're deploying.

I'd love it if Illustrator (or the whole CC suite, as a matter of fact) would help this routine, like this:

Let's have a new swatch type: Cross-Colorspace Swatch. This special swatch type would enable the designer to define variations of the color in any/all color spaces, inside that one swatch definition.

Instead of defining say three different swatches, you would define one, saying: "This is Brand color 1. In cmyk colorspace…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Export Color Codes for all colors in a file

I often have to put together style guides and have to manually (literally by hand) write down each color's codes for CMYK, RGB and HEX from Illustrator down onto a sheet of paper and then type those into the InDesign file for the style guide's color section.

It would be super helpful to be able to export a report for all of the colors used in a file and be able to see the RGB/HEX codes and the CMYK codes for each (depending on what the document color mode is set to)

Example:
    Color 1:
    CMYK 100, 100, 100, 100 …

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Keep color values when applying freeform gradients

When applying a freeform gradient, Illustrator picks up colors from everywhere around the selected artwork, also the selected object itself. It would be extremely helpful if it could reliably keep the exact color values the object has, so you don't need to adjust it.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Illustrator 2019 Freeform Gradient and compound paths not quite right

When applying a freeform grad to a compound path, the effect struggles to jump a gap between paths, leaving odd results. If you create a path with a "hole" in the middle and create grad its OK. Move the whole fully out of the enclosing shape and its blank, move back into to cross border line and it works correctly with overlap creating hole.

In the attached file, the four squares are a compound path. Top right shows standard linear gradient covering the whole shape. The top left fort squares are supposed to share a freeform grad copied from the…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Freeform gradient feedback

1. Not working at all on compound shapes

2. After selecting an object some stops disappear

3. When copying the gradient to a smaller shapes some stops disappear. I know that the stops that are outside the shape will disappear, but would be nice if the gradient scaled down or something to fit in the new shape.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Update pantone libray please

As a paying customer Adobe shoul update the new Pantone library without purchasing it from pantone!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Edit Gradient Color handle (double click) - always sticks/switch back to document color mode

When I'm trying to edit gradient color handle (double click), and switch color mode to eg. HSB, from top-right menu, after editing the handle color again it's always switch back to document color mode specific. Example - I'm working on RGB color mode and I want to make few gradients that differ in brightness and saturation. The easiest way to manipulate the colors is with HSB handlers, so I change the edit color mode (the tooltip menu after you double click the specyfic color on the gradient bar - similar to color window) to HSB from the top-right mini-menu, but…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base