When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add color switch toggle to Swatch Panel color chips

This would be a nice timesaver: Similar to the fill & stroke color switch toggle in the tool bar, would be rad to have that in the actual swatch panel. Add color switch toggle to Swatch Panel fill & stroke.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add a Spot Colors channel to the Separations Preview window

Add a "Spot Colors" channel to the "Separation Preview" window. Like you have in Acrobat. See screenshot attached. This will make toggling through the spot colors a LOT more easier and efficient. Then having to turn on and off each spot color individually.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Be able to add Swatch chips to artboard

Be able to select a swatch and be able to add a chip of that colour to the artboard which displays the colour breakdown information (CMYK, RGB, etc) or specific colour name/number (Pantone). This would be useful to show what colours an artwork is made up of or for colour reference.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Give the Colors panel a useful color picker

Illustrator has a number of different color pickers that appear depending on what particular item you click on, but the one in the color panel is the least useful and most tiring to use.

As far as I can tell, this picker is the Brightness Cube from Photoshop but without the brightness slider that’s needed to make effective use of it. If you use the sliders to adjust saturation or brightness, the change isn’t reflected in the palette square.

With this picker, you can either reduce saturation but with maximum brightness, OR you can reduce brightness but with maximum saturation.…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Merge swatches with right-click

In InDesign you can right-click in the swatches panel and select 'Merge Swatches' (among many other things).

In Illustrator there is no right-click menu at all, you have to click the fly-out.

Adding the right-click menu (or even the ability add a keyboard shortcut to things in the fly-out) would be helpful as we get a lot of files with duplicate colors or need to convert odd mixes/incorrect names to true Pantones so our rips will recognize them. We do a lot of merging.

Thank you!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Swatches not naming properly vs document color mode

I create my document in CMYK but when I open my swatches the first time (I have done no copying or pasting into the document or anything to mess with any color settings), they are CMYK blends with RGB names. Why is it doing that and what can I do to fix it?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Gradient annotator as a palette and snap to gradient points

Allows you to then retain the annotator when dragging guides or other objects, and using other tools. Could work in a similar way to the Tabs palette.

Also it would be really useful if you could snap objects or guides to the gradient points on the sliders.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Disable CC Libraries in Illustrator

I would like the option to Disable the use of Libraries in Illustrator.

I can close the panel but every time I create a new colour swatch the panel reappears. This isn't helpful for the way I work so I'm looking for a way to turn off this feature.

As I am self employed and don't collaborate with others, all my colours are saved within the document they are relevant to which is why I would like to turn off this feature.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. swap stroke and fill in swatch panel

This would seem self evident to me, but being able to swap stroke and fill in the swatch panel as opposed to going all the way over to the tool bar, or swapping to the color panel would be a definite time and focus saver.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow more than 5 swatches to be saved as a color theme

Please allow users to save more than 5 color swatches as a theme in Libraries. The number is very restrictive to our workflow.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. ********** Tolerance Preferences

Please allow the ability to save (or remember) ********** Tolerance Prefs. When I change it from 20 to 1, I want it stay that way the next time I open it, and not have to change it every time. Thanks!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. On the free form gradient tool can you allow each circle to be smaller for more detailed illustrations?

This free form gradient tool is my favorite update of all time. But I'd like to be able to have more detail and control. The circles are too big to allow for this and it really limits the tool.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Freeform gradient points to leave boundaries

In the freeform gradient tool if points are dragged outside of the boundaries it deletes the point. Instead I think it would be better if the points worked outside boundaries to allow for smoother gradients.

See example on how a freeform gradient would appear if points could used outside of the borders (you can currently do it by using a clipping mask but it would be easier if it was built into the tool)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Have swatch tooltips show actual CMYK or RGB values

I'd like the swatch tooltips to show the actual CMYK/RGB/HSB etc. values instead of the user created name. Or, at least have the "Name with Color Value" checkbox, like InDesign does.

In a document where i have numerous color values that can sometimes be one percentage point of difference from another, this would be helpful in grouping them and then merging those near identical colors.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Search field in Graphic Styles palette

I draw comics, and use Graphic Styles a lot. They let me give names to anything from flat fills to complex appearance stacks with multiple fills, strokes, and effects.

But once I've loaded in the styles for a full page, with multiple characters, background parts, and whatnot, the Graphic Styles palette starts to get pretty unwieldy. The attached screenshot is the entire height of my laptop screen; note how small the slider handle is!

I've put effort into giving all of these sensible names. It'd be lovely to be able to use that by having a search bar at…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. A remotely usable gradient tool...

Let say I have a colour I want to use in a creative clould library. I want to use it as a base colour for a gradient, maybe I'll fade up to slightly lighter at the top. Not sure yet, I'm designing something, so I want to experiment when I work. I haven't decided on what colours to use yet, you know, because I'm designing. So what's the workflow to tell Illustrator about the gradient.

The current user experience.....

1. Select the object

2. Set the fill colour to gradient

3. Change the direction to vertical. (How often does anybody ever need a…
    3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Increase size of Gradient stops boxes (too small for older eyes)

Ideally the gradient stop boxes would be a little larger. When working with many gradients, it's time consuming trying to hit that little box to change a color. I'm aging, so my bad, but even slightly larger would be wonderful.

Thank you,
    Lori

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. the ability to zoom in on the gradient panel for complex gradients

the ability to zoom in on the gradient panel for complex gradients. If I am creating a gradient some time I feel like I need to zoom into the panel so I can ensure I get the color pointers as accurate as possible

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Global Swatches for Imported Files

When opening Illustrator files saved in other programs (Rhino, AutoCAD, etc), the default swatches never show up (probably because it was made in an outside program). It would be an immense timesaver if we could have those swatches (or even a user defined swatch) automatically populate the swatch panel.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Drag color swatch onto artboard to make a square with the fill color.

It would be nice for creating style sheets to be able to drag a swatch onto the artboard and have it just make a square of that color.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base