When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

239 results found

1. Gradient Swatch includes angle and position, please!

Currently a Gradient swatch only includes color and transparency. PLEASE build Illustrator so Gradient Swatches include angle and position!

It's a pain to have to adjust the gradient angle, after a Gradient Swatch attribute has been applied to an object. If the angle were editable and save-able (in the swatch) it would be wonderful!

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Recolor Artwork Link Harmony Colors on by default

We only ever need to use the Recolor Artwork feature with the Link Harmony Colors on. Is it possible to have it remember the last setting that you used rather than defaulting to it not being on.

Not a big thing but would be handy!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Batch import of .ase files directly to the swatches palette

For example, if I have a dozen .ase files from different colleges, opening them one by one and adding them to my swatches takes time. I'd rather put them into a folder and have Illustrator import them all. Having them import as Color Groups should be kept.
    I'd like to be able to do this.
    Swatches > Open Swatch Library > Other Library > [folder name]
    Every .ase file in that folder should open up/be imported in my swatches palette. Bam! I'm done!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Wait for the #Color Code to finish

I sometimes look up # Color Codes and want to type them in Illustrator. Every time I start typing and click again in another window, Illustrator just fills in the #Code with some '0' and I need to retype the code again. Why dont just let Illsutrator wait for the User to type the code completely? If the user has not typed in 6 letters, the "ok" button would be inactive until the user has finished the code.
    This is very annoying because filling in the 'missing' letters may be good for the software, but is not really user friendly.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Hue cube / Live Color Picker

Would it be possible to import the Hue cube from Photoshop when choosing color? MagicPicker plugin won't work when selecting gradient colors (it will just replace the gradient completely) and Color Picker doesn't allow for real-time changes, you need to select the color and press OK to see the change. Color tab works perfectly, but the available color palette is impractical to use. I have no clue why you are not using the same setup as in Photoshop, where the Color tab looks exactly like the Color Picker. People have been complaining about this for 4 years now.

Youtube video…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Merge swatches with right-click

In InDesign you can right-click in the swatches panel and select 'Merge Swatches' (among many other things).

In Illustrator there is no right-click menu at all, you have to click the fly-out.

Adding the right-click menu (or even the ability add a keyboard shortcut to things in the fly-out) would be helpful as we get a lot of files with duplicate colors or need to convert odd mixes/incorrect names to true Pantones so our rips will recognize them. We do a lot of merging.

Thank you!

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Make it easier to use the color in paint bucket. it defaults to greyscale and hard to find way out of that. it should just be intuitive.

JUST MAKE IT EASY TO USE

I just want to get things done quick. why will an image we import to vectorize automatically be greyscale? AND WHY DO YOU MAKE IT HARD TO FIND HOW TO GET COLOR IN THERE??????

old forum articles are obsolete, so why not just make it easier to use in the first place

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Make Black Swatch really Black in RGB mode

An old annoyance: in many occasions, in RGB Document mode the Default Black Swatch is not black, but 15,15,15 gray.
    This problem shows up in every new version.
    Please make sure that when a document is in RGB mode, the Black and White swatches are 0,0,0 and 255,255,255 - just as we may expect.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. colour changing options

Hi, I was wondering if there is anything I can set up in illustrator so I can... type a sentence and each letter in the sentence be one of 6 different colours so if it was to say... Mrs Barrington the letters would be

M- red
    r - yellow
    s - green
    b - pink
    a - purple 

r - orange
...etc

I have looked on google several times and can't see anything saying it already has this capability? At present, I use the eyedropper to change each individual letter!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Gradient annotator as a palette and snap to gradient points

Allows you to then retain the annotator when dragging guides or other objects, and using other tools. Could work in a similar way to the Tabs palette.

Also it would be really useful if you could snap objects or guides to the gradient points on the sliders.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Make New Swatch more intuitive and flexible

When 'None' is selected as current color (or no selection is active), the New Swatch menu item is grayed out, since New Swatch wants to copy the color of the selection.

When having a complex selection (lots of effort sometimes), it is rather dissapointing to not have the possibillity to give it a new color on the fly.

Why not make 'New Swatch' always available?

1. Intuitively, when no color is active, it should bring up a color selector panel, just like when an existing Swatch is double clicked.
      (If you think this is confusing - add a menu item for…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Simplify the Color Panels

Why are there so many different panels in Illustrator for working with colors? The color-making panels in InDesign are so much simpler than Illustrator. It's super cumbersome and reminds me of trying to design something in MS Word. Simplify please. Make it like InDesign.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. swap stroke and fill in swatch panel

This would seem self evident to me, but being able to swap stroke and fill in the swatch panel as opposed to going all the way over to the tool bar, or swapping to the color panel would be a definite time and focus saver.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Smart/Adaptive Cross-Colorspace Swatches

It's industry standard to define brand colors in more than one colorspace. Usually you have at least PMS, CMYK and RGB definitions of each brand color you're deploying.

I'd love it if Illustrator (or the whole CC suite, as a matter of fact) would help this routine, like this:

Let's have a new swatch type: Cross-Colorspace Swatch. This special swatch type would enable the designer to define variations of the color in any/all color spaces, inside that one swatch definition.

Instead of defining say three different swatches, you would define one, saying: "This is Brand color 1. In cmyk colorspace…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. incorrect color assignments

Actions to change path color to black instead turn the path white on the first try. Repeating the exact same action flow a second time in a row turns the path black.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Color wheel

MagicPicker is great. What about making something similar from the box?

45 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Improve thumbnail functionality and allow them to be turned off in Pattern Maker Window

While layers, groups, and paths offer you the ability to shut off thumbnails, Pattern Maker does not. As it is a live preview of what you're currently editing, it can slow things down quite drastically, even to select 1 item in the swatch with complex patterns. Often I have to shutoff layer thumbnails since they rerender the thumb for every revision, and would like the same functionality for Pattern Maker. Swatch thumbnails don't seem to be an issue and it would appear they only update once the changes are saved. Since there are many options for bricking, and tiling, it's…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Temporarily disable selection handles while changing color

When I'm changing an object's color, its selection outline and other debris like "live corner" markers get in the way of previewing the color change.

I usually have to deselect the object to see if the change "worked" with the rest of my design. It's a tedious workflow.

Illustrator should temporarily turn off these markers while I'm changing the color.

Every other drawing app does this.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Show HEX value in swatch panel

I often need to copy HEX values from illustrator swatches into other applications. My workflow would be accelerated if there was a text field showing the HEX value like in the color picker window.

Right now I need to apply the swatch to an object and copy the HEX value from the color picker window.

54 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Scale pattern not object

I was on the Ai help desk with Nikhail, and he told me to write to you - I do surface pattern design and you are supposed to be able to use the shortcut of S and ~ to scale pattern and not an object. But it pulls up the Pen tool for me. We reinstalled latest CC and he worked on it for a long time to no avail. HELP! Otherwise you have to go through like ten steps to transform pattern and not object, everyone else in my class seems to be successful - I must have a…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base