When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. stroke and fill select

It would be great if AI took into account the attributes of an object and flipped the stoke and fill palette default accordingly automatically. If I have a circle that is filled blue and I want to change it, I would like AI to recognise the blue fill on selection and switch the fill palette to the default and vice versa for a stroke only object as it is more likely that I want to change that attribute than anything else. I find this very frustrating.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Default input in Color Picker

Older versions of Illustrator used to default in "Hex" field of the Color Picker, but now the default is in "H" of HSB. This breaks up the workflow when copying a low of colors.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Larger Stroke/Fill selector in Swatch panel

It is extremely difficult to choose the between the Fill and Stroke selector in the Swatch panel., especially on Retina displays. Please give us the option to make it larger, as seen in my attachment.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. I have found effects and transparency to be problmatic

I have found effects and transparency to be problematic in the past for print, and svg unless you convert the graphic to raster. Which then defeats the benefits of vector.

What if you had a feature that could take the colors used in the effect or transparency and convert that to a basic gradient. "convert effect to gradient" or "convert transparency to gradient"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. the ability to zoom in on the gradient panel for complex gradients

the ability to zoom in on the gradient panel for complex gradients. If I am creating a gradient some time I feel like I need to zoom into the panel so I can ensure I get the color pointers as accurate as possible

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. CC Library Colour Applications

Currently I can't find a way to select a library colour from the swatch menus.

You can't use an eyedropper on cc library colours are not available from the swatches panel.

It seems that we have to add the colours as a swatch first.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Global Swatches for Imported Files

When opening Illustrator files saved in other programs (Rhino, AutoCAD, etc), the default swatches never show up (probably because it was made in an outside program). It would be an immense timesaver if we could have those swatches (or even a user defined swatch) automatically populate the swatch panel.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Pantone swatches not updated

Adobe Pantone libraries are not being updated as new colors are added to books. I understand this may be an issue on Pantone's behalf, but it's very disappointing that Adobe software hasn't kept those libraries up to date.

Currently, to find the RGB or CMYK values, one needs to visit the Pantone website/Find a Pantone Color page, then create a color swatch from scratch. Will this get updated sometime soon? Or have the days of full Pantone libraries gone the route of the dinosaur?

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Importing color codes

It would be great if we could import hex codes (or rgb etc.) as a large batch-- it would really speed up workflow. If instead of manually having to type in 20+ color codes (with the possibility of a mistake), I could import a list of them, that would be awesome!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Color

Why is there no Color Range picker for gradient settings?
    Also, there is no way of picking a color via eyedropper while in Gradient Settings.

Eyedropper tool also is not useful if you only want to get the color of the stroke or fill alone, without getting the all properties of the shape. If you want to get the color of a stroke of a shape, and use it as a fill of a new shape, you have to memorize the hex! :(

Also, It is necessary to provide Color Principle tools such as a basic color wheel, which I…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Unify Fill tool + gradient tool under properties(appearance)

Now we have 3 "ways" or windows to pick color from which is confusing.Unify everything under same roof like in other design apps.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. How about updating the Pantone+ library so it actually includes all the colors available.

How about updating the Pantone+ library so it actually includes all the colors available. There are 112 new colors that we cant use.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Make gradient swatches global

Gradient swatches should be globally applicable. This would mean they´d need to be editable - either in Swatch Options just like other swatches or replacable by dragging a altered version of a gradient onto the old swatch. (At the moment, the only option is the swatch title)

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Put eyedroppers on every color selection menu.

I keep getting the request from my students that they want to use colors from their existing project. In color, color guide, color themes, gradient color menu, there's no good way to grab a specific color from the art boards. Putting eyedroppers on ALL the color sub menus would make it so convenient to grab the color of someones eye, various colors in existing blends. For example, if a student wanted to make a gradient of two different colors from her eye, she could not do so simply. Currently the eyedropper only appears to hover over a one inch rgb…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Drag color swatch onto artboard to make a square with the fill color.

It would be nice for creating style sheets to be able to drag a swatch onto the artboard and have it just make a square of that color.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Export Swatch Bounds in Pattern Maker for easier repeat sharing

• In the Pattern Maker tool, there would be an option to export the swatch via art board or just export in general, within the swatch bounds indicated by the pattern maker tool.

Solves problem of: Having to figure out mathematically how to make a displaced patterned swatch with the correct bounds on a separate art board via a bunch of math.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Replace or Delete Swatches should automatically re-color objects with new swatch

I propose swatches have the function of applying new color to objects on the art board whenever a color needs to be replaced with a different color. Instead of simply deleting the current swatch, we should be prompted to "replace current color with new color?" then select the new color after adding it to the palette, then BAM! all the objects are automatically updated with the new color. (Example: art editor says that we will print only using 2 colors: black text with red headlines. I already have the art set using black and green. I could add the red…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow to snap gradient sliders to integer values

I'm huge fan of snapping.
    I snap tabs to units, I snap to grid, I snap almost everything — this allow me to narrow my design workflow and keep artwork organized.
    Not everyone does need this, but I do.

I suffer from absence of snapping for gradient sliders.
    I wish I can move one and make it snap at 40, by eye, and not 40.73 and then correct this value by hand.
    Please, make an option to snap sliders to integer values.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow to select several gradient sliders

Sometimes I need to move several sliders in gradients at once.
    I have to select them one by one and move each at distance I need.
    I'd like to select several sliders and move them simultaneously.
    Of course, they should be very clearly marked as selected, or this would confuse, if you forget to unselect them and then try to edit color for one.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add persistent Swatch libraries to Workspace settings + maintained across upgrades

Allow swatch libraries selected as persistent to be stored as part of a workspace (including palette group & position), and make them persistent across upgrades. I'm tired of having to recreate my palettes every **** time there's some minor 'agile' upgrade.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base