When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make Asset Export settings Per-Project not Global

It doesn't make sense to have global settings for Asset Export, as the exporting requirements vary between projects. Each project should have its own Asset Export settings so this doesn't have to be set up every time when exporting from different projects with different settings.

Changing back and forward is time consuming and error prone.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Open an indesign file in Illustrator

Need to be able to open an Indesign file directly in AI. No reason to go to pdf and totally destroy the artwork. files are uneditable converting from Id to PDF to AI.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Export to PDF

Export to PDF – instead of Save As A Copy i.e.. just like InDesign. The current way of doing this is too long-winded. Too many clicks! Thanks.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Import/Export DXF AAMA/ASTM

In order to be able to work back and forth with Fashion Cad Softwares, it should be useful for Illustrator to handle AAMA or ASTM standard of DXF.
    I guess that Artboards could act as "Blocks" in order to remain the Pattern names and the layer hierarchy of entities (for trace, cut, punch or text)

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Opening old Freehand files in Illustrator?

Can you guys bring this "feature" to Illustrator?

There are a lot of old Freehand users still having TONS of Freehand files (illustrations, assets, icons, etc.) in their archives waiting for the day when Illustrator will open old Freehand files so we can reuse them once more!

I know this is a lot to ask, but can you guys give it a try?

Ty!

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Control of SVG <style> class names on Export

Here is a detailed explanation of my issue:
    https://forums.adobe.com/message/10234155#10234155

Summary: We should be able to assign/control style classes within the ai file that show up in the svg file.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  6 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Export to PDF, not Save As PDF

Cmd+E would be great. Default to PDF, and not have it change the document to a PDF. This causes confusion, since no other Adobe app (that I use) does this. Make it consistent with InDesign for obvious reasons.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Export for screens without bleed

Export screens without the bleed

I really like the feature called Export screens, but I do not really use it for print jobs, couse I can't export any picure format file without the bleed section of the document, which I use to show the client the stages of the job. Still, I could do the same with Save for web function, but it would be very very useful to export multiple artboards at the same time without the bleed.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

9. Support SVG text-anchor styling on import

I often copy SVGs that I created with JavaScript (through D3.js) from a browser into Illustrator to continue working on it there. However, the text-anchor setting (left, middle or right aligned) does not come through and it is always left aligned, although the position might seem like it is middle or right aligned. Once you choose a different font or font-size, the mismatch between the original text align and what Illustrator has made of it becomes very apparent and can be quite the chore to adjust.

It would be great if Illustrator would properly handle the text-anchor style setting of…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Changing default PDF preset

I save PDF versions of my Illustrator files dozens of times daily, and every...single...time...I have to manually go find and select the correct option in the PDF dropdown menu. Illustrator has never had a way to change the default PDF setting the way InDesign has, and it needs it!

This is not a big feature request, but for me it’s probably the biggest pain point Illustrator has. Please fix.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There are a couple of considerations to be made here:

1. When you save/close a PDF (with Ai editing capabilities), open it back, make some edits and press Cmd+S (Save), original PDF settings are preserved. I am assuming there are no expectations of changing this behavior.

2. Same document, when Saved As (copy), the PDF options dialog picks up the settings embedded in the PDF as the starting point. Users can then change it. By showing user’s last used setting (as requested in this report), it would not be possible to populate PDF‘s embedded setting in the dialog.

Please share if this is an acceptable change.

Thanks,
    Illustrator Team

11. Multipage PDF export in the Asset Export Panel

The Asset Export panel is really great and you can export Artboards as PDF but each artboard is a PDF file.

It will be so great to add a checkbox to export the selected Artboards as a unique Multipage PDF.
    Currently you can export in PDF using Save as… PDF, you have to enter manually the pages ranges and it's not memorized for the next export like in Export for Screens (Asset Export panel).

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Links act as indesign links

Please just do as everyone else has suggested and make Illustrator links function as indesing links do. Currently I am regularly working with illustrator files containing over 50 links of the same file and when I need to update the link I literally have to manually go through and RELINK every instance of the same link? Why, this is pure laziness, just rip the functionality straight out of indesing and put it in Illustrator. They both are unique programs that serve a purpose in my workflow, but having to deal with the totally out dated linking mechanism within illustrator is…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Text to outlines on save PDF

My printers require fonts to be outlined. This is a huge hassle. I need to convert everything to outlines, save the PDF, and then remember to undo my outlining before I save the AI file.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Export for Screens .pdf saves all artboards in file

When Export for Screens is used to export pdfs, it saves ALL artboards for every .pdf, creating very large files. This means I have to export the pdf, then reopen the pdf in Illustrator and manually delete the other artboards and other artwork and resave it so that the pdf only contains the artboard that should be in that file.

This is clearly not the intention of the feature.

It would actually be quicker to just copy and paste it into a new file, as it can take a lot of time if you have a large file with multiple…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Asset export dialog doe s not have this option to export each file as a separate file it only has option on all artboards in one file, range of artboards or selected artboards in the dialog or the whole of document into one pdf file.
    I am moving this request as a new feature request

15. Export settings saved per each file (export to, formats etc.)

It would be much easier if Export settings (Export for assets / Export for screens) could be saved per each file not global. It's frustrating to change it each time you are working on different project/file.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Checkbox for prefix with filename when exporting for screens

When exporting for screens, it would be useful to be able to simply click a checkbox to prefix the output filename with the current filename.

For example, for "myFile.ai", containing artboards "Artboard1", "Artboard2", etc., it would output "myFile-Artboard1.png", "myFile-Artboard2.png", etc.

I realise the filename can be entered in the Prefix field but a checkbox would be a useful addition.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Can you PLEASE PLEASE just put a simple trash can icon on the links panel so i can just delete links that are no longer pertinent?

Can you PLEASE PLEASE just put a simple trash can icon on the links panel so I can quickly and easily delete links to images that are no longer pertinent. this would be valuable because I use the same base maps over and over but import different source sketches that I trace/digitize on to the map. once the feature is digitized and I've deleted the sketch the link lives on forever. Or better yet, just the way it works in InDesign (maybe you've heard of it) - if you delete the image, the link to it automatically deletes.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. When exporting an image, using artboard, with a single artboard, don't change filename.

If save an image using "Export As" , and I select the "use artboards" (because I want the image to be of that size, and I only want to export one specific artboard of my file, It would be better if it didn't add to the file name (ie: the filename-01.png would be filename.png). This is because I find myself exporting each layer of the same artboard with a specific name (ex: characterarm.png, characterleg.png, etc) and I have to remove the "01"s manually.
    I understand that this feature is really useful when exporting all the artboards at the…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Saving document should not kick you out of isolation mode

Sometimes I work deep inside some nested object and feel strong urge to save document. When I do it, AI quits isolation mode and I have to go 10 levels in again to continue my work. That's rude.

Please make AI respect my isolation tunneling when saving.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Upload Adobe Draw files to Creative Cloud as .ai or .eps files

Adobe Draw currently has the option to Save files to CC as PDF or PSD files but it would be great if we could save them as .AI files

Thanks for your consideration

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base