When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. "Font embedding" is possible in AI format

"Font embedding" is possible in AI format, and added “the data of that font is kept if text is not edited" option.
    Data can be delivered to clients and output centers in AI format that all functions can be used, not PDF format.

(Translated to Japanese)
    AI形式でも「フォントの埋め込み」ができて、「編集しない限り、そのフォントのデータを維持」するオプション。
    クライアントや出力センターに、PDF 形式ではなく、全機能が利用できる AI 形式でデータの受け渡しが可能になる。

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. gcode

Hello!

I would be absolutely DELIGHTED if you could introduce a way to export G-Code from Illustrator. I have a laser engraver (Cubiio) and the only way I can turn vectors into G-Code at the moment is by using Inkscape and an extension by J Tech Photonics. I hate Inkscape with a passion so I grind my teeth every time. This is what I have to resort to when working with vector files that I would like to convert: https://cubiio.muherz.com/gcode_instruction.html

There is a G-Code extension available for Illustrator, created by https://diegomonzon.com/illustrator-to-gcode/ , but I have been unable to get it…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow to set custom default Transparency Flattener Options settings when saving EPS

There is no way to tweak said default settings.
    Even you create custom document profile from document with tweaked settings, it still come up as default-default when you try to save project, created from this profile.

More on this here, for example:
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2456425

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Export for Screen Quality of export

Not sure if it has been asked or discussed (spent way to much time searching for it and not finding it) but the "export for screens" exports terrible quality - mostly for jpg.

The quality is jagged and blurry when exporting a large graphic with text that has been outlined. Yet, when I use the legacy export for the same width and size I want, the quality is far superior whilst still having a small footprint in size.

Why is the legacy export, in any format, so much better than the "export for screens" that you have made default?

Often…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. svg option to convert text to outlines when exporting

When exporting svg I have ran into wonkyness with fonts so sometimes we export svg graphics with text as shapes...

But then I some times get distracted by a email or chat message and save the ai version with out undoing my text to outlines conversion...

Why not just have a check box on the svg export panel "convert all text to shapes" then when I export this option parse the document and convert all text to shapes...

So I do not have to worry about undoing my convert text to shapes when I save the master ai file.

Stephen

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  8 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Make AI to understand buffered art from CorelDRAW and vice versa

Adobe and Corel are eternal rivals, I know.
    But our (and not ours only, as far as I know) workflow requires both whales.
    A lot of vynil-cutting shops, laser-engraving and large format printing shops work only in CD. We have to transfer our files back and forth from one program to another each day.

We use PDF as a medium, but it's long way.
    We also use this magnificent macros for CD:
    https://github.com/cdrpro-macros/ai-clipboard
    but it's not 100% solution.

We need a way to copy/paste from/to AI from/to CD natively.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Export selected only

Would like to see an "EXPORT SELECTED ONLY" option, so that you can export just a selection of items from a file with many elements. Really a pain to have to copy the items I want to export, and paste them into a new file in order to export them.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Remember scaling per file in Save for web

I design for printing and use 'Save for web and devices' to have crisp images.
    E.g. I can have document 300x900mm, and then I export it as 600x1800px and have my snapped sharp lines to stay sharp.
    But 'SfWaD' always immediately renders image at '100%' (which is not 100% at all at Windows — it's an another problem to be discussed), and I get 850x2551.
    When my dimensions are bigger, AI sometimes can't even render an image and I get error message and pink fill in preview area.
    I try to draw ten times smaller whenever is possible to avoid…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Export Symbols

There should be a way to export symbols as png. svg. jpg. etc. In a similar way as the Asset export. Ideally using the name of the symbol.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Open a PDF with option to outline text

Sometimes if you don't have a font, a pdf opened in Illustrator will result in boxes with "x"s in them in place of all the fonts. I know how to go into Adobe Acrobat and fix this. But.... Would be nice if Illustrator had a dialogue box when opening a PDF that gave the option to outline all text open opening.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. File > Rename command

If you saved your file with a typo and want to fix it or to change name in general, you have to save, close, go to the file manager, find the file, rename (and hope Ai has not it locked), open it back (and then have an invalid item in File > Recent).

It would be so much easier to have a dedicated command for it.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Export Artboards as PowerPoint or Keynote slides

I like using Illustrator to design complexe slides or icons, illustrations… for my slides and I’d like to export them by maintaining vector capabilities to have the ability in PowerPoint or Keynote to change their color and to scale them freely.

I know plug-ins or some export format will somehow works for some cases.
    But it will be so nice to have a straight forward export!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. PNG export embeds the wrong ICC profile

When exporting as PNG (export for screens, export as...) Illustrator uses the current RGB working space profile, but save the sRGB profile in the file.
    Other software shows the colors as sRGB although a totally different profile may have been used for the conversion to RGB.
    Either embed the correct profile or convert to sRGB when exporting (like the old Save for Web still does).
    See: https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/color-sync/m-p/10880173#M163311

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow drag and drop of an image from the web

As a web developer I often want to get web images into my documents. When I drag and drop from a browser on Windows, the url is imported as text which is useless.

Copy & paste works but PNG transparency comes in with a black background which is usually not workable wither.

The workaround is to copy the url and use file>place and paste the url in to the address bar. Windows then downloads the image and places it in the document but this process takes 30 seconds which is a big interruption to a workflow.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Update Asset in Asset Export Panel

It would be really nice to be able to update an asset in the Asset Export panel with the current selection. Why? Here's my example…

I have 6 assets in my file, each with different names, each containing different objects, but each sharing a logo.

Client says to change the logo. Now I need to remake all 6 assets instead of being able to paste in the new logo and updating the assets.

Suggestion: In the Asset Export panel, with an asset selected, allow the user to update the selected asset with the selected objects.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Provide SVG output scaling option (with 96 ppi default)

When using Save As... SVG, Illustrator sets the bounding box pixel dimensions in the SVG header using 72 pixels per inch. So a 10" x 10" artboard will produce an SVG file with its pixel dimensions set to 720px x 720px. This is a very old-fashioned default scaling, since every other modern application I have encountered displays imported SVGs using 96 dpi . This means each SVG produced by Illustrator appears to shrink when imported into almost any other modern application. Please either:
    a) Change Illustrator's default scaling calculation to use 96 dpi.
    b) Provide an option/switch in the SVG…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Retrieving an unsaved file

Enable an option to retrieve a file within a certain time period, that was closed but not saved. This would be useful when a file is closed in error. This happened to me and I lost a days work. Silly error but easily done as I had a swatch box obscuring the file tab and closed it by mistake. Unfortunately because I then tried to reopen the file, the snapshot in the data recovery file was the re opened unsaved version so I had lost all of the previous 4 hours work.
    Therefore, if it was possible that AI could…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Open, import, save, and export .CGM files

Illustrator CC advertises compatibility with the Computer Graphics Metafile (.CGM) format.
    While it gives me the option to open a .CGM file, all of the older .CGM files I work with throw an "unknown format" error when I try to open them.
    I would also like an option to save .CGM files.
    Illustrator should include these features.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. cdr

Possible to open .cdr files, this is needed. Because in my country "Indonesia", who people are using corel and some using illustraot. We need this feature!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Export for Screens in AI should be just like PS's Version

PLEASE make the export for screens function precisely like the one used in Photoshop. In particular: (1) it needs to be possible to export at <0.5x, which is currently the upper limit. If I am producing assets for iOS @3x for whatever reason -- say, they include an unscalable PNG from PS for instance -- to produce the 1x asset I need to export @0.33x, which you don't allow, but PS does. (less important but also mind-boggling is why you don't allow upscaling beyond 33.3x.) (2) The default export option should be to export to the SAME FOLDER IN WHICH…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base