When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. File New fit to Clipboard

I thought this was already a feature....

Have content on Clipboard... Open Ai, New File, choose size auto fit to Clipboard

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Show image output dimensions before exporting

Under File > Export > Export for Screens and > Export As, it would be great to be able to know what the output dimensions will be when selecting 150dpi, 300dpi or a custom resolution.

Often I will need to export images from various source to specific JPEG or PNG dimensions. This will save the step of exporting, checking the dimensions of the output file, then adjusting the output resolution or resizing in Photoshop.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. spreads

It would be very helpful to be able to make a PDF and set it to "spreads" as you can in InDesign. When designing large display graphics that are made up of individual slices being assembled after printing, it makes proofing more difficult when art boards stay separate pages in the resulting PDF.
    Thanks!
    Page

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Resurrect Macromedia Freehand

Or at least study its superior usability and intuitiveness and adopt these features in Illustrator.

Or, at the VERY least, build in the ability to open old Freehand files in Illustrator.

Thanks,
    Pete

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Locked files on SMB shares (macOS)

There is a weird file-locking problem when files are opened and saved from/to smb volumes mounted on macOS. If files are saved and closed there is still a locking on the files. So colegues are not able to delete/replace this files. There is no problem if the afp-protocol is used. For this reason we had to disable smb-sharing on our server, because macOS uses smb as default if available. (Illustrator 21.1.0 - but at least from version 19 on)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Assets Export - add "Find" option by asset name

I'm looking for just option to filter assets at Asset Panel. It's easy to select some assets, for example I have objects names "ground_xx.png" and I want just export them now, so I can type in filter "ground" and it will be filtered from all other my assets, and yes, better to add option select filtered.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Share for Review Enabled for Illustrator

Enable share for review with Illustrator. I can already see how this will help when working with clients for magazines in InDesign - so I can’t wait to see how I can use if with clients for Illustrator based projects.

ESPECIALLY as a professor - this will make it much easier to provide feedback for students during remote teaching and learning this fall with COVID.

LINK TO inDesign feature -
    https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-share-for-review-faq/m-p/11219483

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Save As PDF

When i SAVE AS PDF,
    and then make some changes and hit SAVE,
    the changes are then saved in the PDF and not in the AI file.

WHY????
    THIS MAKES NO SENSE!!!

"Save as" should work like "Export"
    And not change the your filetype you are working in

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. “Clipping path limit reached for TIFF preview" dialog.

Please add a checkbox with the "Do not show" option in the “Clipping path limit reached for TIFF preview" dialog. This comes up hourly in my company's workflow and the only option given is "Ok". Thank you.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add 'Relink image' in the right click (contextual) menu

would speed up productivity when replacing multiple linked images by allowing users to control-click or right-click on an image to relink files, rather than going to the menu bar every time.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Status bar for when files save

Illustrator will not let you save as if it's saving. You basically get a message that says the file is saving and to try again after the process is complete. Yet there is no status bar, so you have to keep trying (guessing) until it's done. Photoshop at least shows a save status bar and also will do the next task automatically when it's done saving.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow drag and drop of an image from the web

As a web developer I often want to get web images into my documents. When I drag and drop from a browser on Windows, the url is imported as text which is useless.

Copy & paste works but PNG transparency comes in with a black background which is usually not workable wither.

The workaround is to copy the url and use file>place and paste the url in to the address bar. Windows then downloads the image and places it in the document but this process takes 30 seconds which is a big interruption to a workflow.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Importing PDF to Illustrator

When importing a PDF into Illustrator, the window used to import the page previewed.

Please bring that function back.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. extend/enhance package command for multiple files.

As it could be valuable to use the "package" feature to generate an autonomous version of a file with its own linked assets (linked image or lib Assets), it could be interesting to optimize and analyse multiple documents to relink files to a single copy when this file is common to multiple docs.

for Lib Assets it could be interesting to generate a library archive of those assets too, in the case of this "package" operation comes at the end of a project for archiving.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Simple request – Automatically close files saved as PDF.

Enable auto closing a file you saved as an Adobe PDF file. I have had too many instances of 'fixing' an open PDF file and not the native .ai file...

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. placeholder image

image Placeholder function like InDesign

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Enclose Meta to png saved for web

Please enable to add meta data to png saved for web out of AI. It is not a practible way to open AI in Photoshop and export there a png with meta data. If you create images, e.g. for a website this extra work cause additional steps and waste precious time!
    I learnd that this was possible in older versions of AI, but since years this option is missing!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Ability to set PDF options for the embedded "PDF Compatable File" option.

When saving an AI file, in order to ,make compatable with other adobe products that don't support native AI format (INDD, etc), we have to save with "Create PDF Compatable File" checked. However, there is so way to adjust the PDF/compression settings. Everything gets embedded at full resolution/quality. This negates using linked assets to conserve file space.

Please add the ability to change the PDF quality settings of the "Create PDF Compatable File" options when saving in AI format.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Improve compatibility of object's features between Illustrator and InDesign

It's about 80% easy to share an object such as a logo or ad design or similar between the two packages, which is facilitated by the programs sharing an overlapping feature set.

With some features, such as gradients (InDesign to Illustrator) and type (Illustrator to InDesign) there are serious problems and the feature either doesn't travel across or is corrupted in the process. These problems mean that some parts of your project will easily copy and paste (or travel via PDF export) yet others fail.

It's not uncommon to use Illustrator as a publishing software for web assets and InDesign…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Support for "9-slice scaling" in SVG

SVG export breaks "9-slice scaling". This is understandable, since SVG has no such concept built-in.

But SVG can do something like this. Or "4-slice scaling". See, for example:

https://w3.eleqtriq.com/2014/03/the-holy-grail-of-image-scaling/

I would like to see Illustrator's SVG export offer this feature, given that Illustrator does.

At the very least, if implementation wont happen, or is delayed, please mention that 9-slice scaling is not working in SVG export in the docs and (for bonus points) as a warning in the export dialog box (in cases where the document uses this feature).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need More Info  ·  3 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 2 5 7 9 19 20
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base