Illustrator Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Select multiple layers at once, no more clicking one at a time.

Select multiple layers at once, no more clicking one at a time. I know that others have already suggested this, as I have, but you've still done absolutely nothing to address this issue. It seems like such a no-brainer, which has me doubting the abilities and intelligence of everyone involved in designing Illustrator. Seriously, this literally wastes hours of my time every year. It is one of the big reasons why I refuse to recommend Illustrator to anyone, even though I'm currently forced to use it. Fix it already.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please give us the ability to create a template out of an object within a layer

As of right now, we're forced to create a new layer first and turn that layer into a template. It'd be much easier if we could simply turn an existing object within a layer into a template.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please give us the ability to create a template out of an object within a layer

As of right now, we're forced to create a new layer first and turn that layer into a template. It'd be much easier if we could simply turn an existing object within a layer into a template.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Please make link addresses flow in Illustrator's Links palette if the palette is too narrow

Please make link addresses flow in Illustrator's Links palette so that a placed image whose path is lengthy doesn't force the palette to expand (endlessly) to the right, forcing palettes joined to its right off the screen. It's disruptive to have to resize palettes when an image is placed. Heaven help us when it's an image from Adobe Stock in the Library!

I've posted this request for at least two or three years now. I can hardly imagine I'm the only one with any distaste for the behavior.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Your UX Team Should Be Fired

Feature Request:
    When I click an "X" that clearly indicates close. Close the thing! Your UX team should be fired.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Fix the zoom error

Zoom error when edit artboard name. Illustrator automaticaly zoom 1700% and miss the pixels, after I zoom out a bit, there are the real pixels on 1600%.
    Every time I edit an artboard name, I must check, that my icon ruined or only the bug... please why?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Use dark mode open/save dialogs in Mac OS Catalina

The open and save dialogs currently appear light when the OS is set to dark mode. Can you fix this?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. One tab-over between Width and Height in New Document window

In New Document window, I am used to typing a numeric dimension for Width, then pressing tab once to enter a dimension for Height. In the current version, if you press tab after entering Width, it goes to the unit of measurement first instead of to the Height. It feels unintuitive.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Measurement tool

Hey, since so many years people ask for a measurement tool in Ai, it would be soo great if you guys would bring it in. I know, it is not ment to be a construction programm, but as i´m a shop window creator, we create with Ai and PS and i would be great just to make easily a plan for he constructors or even size discriptions for large banner printing and so on...
    So please bring it up the sky!!!
    Thank you!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add "Average & Join" to the Object>Path menu.

There is object>path>average, and there is object>path>join. And there is also the very useful Average & Join command... but that's only discoverable if you go digging through the Keyboard Settings and notice it lurking in the 'Other Object' section.

Please make it easier for novices to discover it, and for experts to point novices to it, by adding object>path>Average & Join right below the two menu items it combines.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Features in Control Bar:

Features in the Control Bar:
    A Feature that can be used by any Tool or Panel which is most common (like Fill & Stroke), that should not be active in the both (Control Bar & Properties Panel )sides at a time.
    When Text Object is selected by Arrows:
    You have selected Text by using Arrows/Selection Tools, you have good options in the Right Click's menu, like spell checking which is logical according to selection.
    It would be also better if these features will be added in Control Bar by replacing redundant Features Like Fill & Stroke which can be used…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Tool's Properties Panel

Properties Panel
    It does not make me the faster because Shortkeys for years I use is the better way, many options are available in those particular panels for each or individual usage according to work and in the control bar quickly those could be used well, that is much better.
    yeah, another good suggestion which is for Control panel, few useable options in property panel could be attached in Control Bar and then this panel would be better than it should be converted into Tools' Properties because many users do not know that many tools can be modified by double-clicking…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Scrollable tabs and more usable Layers panel

I would like if the Ai interface was less "cluttered" and "manual" to use.

Specifically, as in the case of having many tabs open than they fit in the viewport, I have to click on the double chevrons (>>) to only be able to open one file at a time. Rather, would you guys consider making it scrollable? Or have the Layers panel open like Adobe Xd (aids renaming and hiding/locking)?

As for a more "usable" Layers panel, I would appreciate if the panel could make it easier to name and select layers. For example, if I have an item…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. MAKE. THE. HANDLER. BIGGER

make that tiny little ANCHOR and HANDLER bigger. I'm tired of failing to click that tiny rectangle every single second. PLEASE. I BEG YOU

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Please give the option to keep Libraries palette open when you close all of your documents. I often start work with an asset in my library.

Please give us the option to keep the libraries palette open when all documents are closed. I often start work with items in my library and it is annoying to have to reopen the palette when I close the project I just finished and am ready to start a new one.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Bring back the History Panel

It would be really nice to have the history panel back. Having the history panel back would make it so you don't have to hit ctrl-z so many times.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Is it possible to get a preview screen of your document when you look at your recently opened documents

I always really like the previews when you open illustrator. Once you opened one document you can not look at the previews anymore, because you have to select a recently opened document via the file menu. This means you have to rely on your names, which can get confusing when you have multiple version of one document.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. you guys have so destroyed illustrator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you guys have so destroyed illustrator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Recent file mouseover/rollover

Mouseover will reveal FULL filename. When working with multiple versions of a project with long filenames, they get cut off by the context menu; if you have V1 and V2 at the end of a filename, it can't be seen, and this makes it easy to open up the wrong file. A simple mouseover, both in the TOP MENU and the RECENT GALLERY (because even the thumbnails can look identical) will be useful for opening the correct file the first time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Disable Object Touch Manipulation

Illustrator needs an option to disable touch object manipulation. Currently, on a cintiq when I have a path selected and I attempt to pinch and zoom the path scales or if I touch an anchor point, the anchor point moves. This needs to be disabled. This feature alone is forcing me to work in photoshop. Illustrator is completely unusable on a cintiq with touch. Why would anyone who has a stylus want to use their fingers to crudely manipulate objects. Its frustrating that a professional cant use this product so that someone with an ipad can fingerpaint.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base