Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please why do your developers keep changing some features working properly? Paragraph Direction has been removed. Now ARABIC has big issue.

Please why do your developers keep changing some features working properly? Paragraph Direction has been removed. Now ARABIC has big issue. Unless we change all support files in the System, it doesn't work. It was working till a week ago and suddenly its removed???

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Hello!

When right-click > Rotate, It would be very handly to have the angle field already selected to just insert the value, or to have it selected when you press Tab first time (now you need to press Tab 4 times in order to have the value field selected).

That would be great. Thank you!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ability to change the height of top half of Find Fonts dialog box

It would be nice if the top half of the Find Fonts dialog box could also change height when you resize the box. It only show 5 fonts, and then they're not even in alphabetical order, so it's impossible to find the font you might want to change all instances to. Two screen shots attached: the first is the dialog box when it opens, the second is after I've resized it, but I cannot resize the list at the top...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ability to sort the font list(s) in Find Fonts dialog box

It would be helpful if the fonts in the Find Fonts dialog box could be sorted alphabetically. In my case, I am trying to consolidate all the various helvetica fonts that are being used in a large document to one foundry. As it is, they are all over the place, I think sorted by first use? but it would be helfpuf if I could sort by name, that way all my helveticas will be close to each other. Regardless, if the could be sorted that would be handy.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Workspaces should upload to Creative Cloud or be exportable via the software

I'm currently hunting around on my hard-drive, following a myriad of help pages and forum posts trying to find my custom workspaces, which I only need to do because Adobe software doesn't allow you to either upload to Creative Cloud libraries or export/import via the software.

I personally don't want to spend two hours re-building my workspaces across all the Adobe software every time I update...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add "don't show again" option to error dialog for hidden and locked objects when moving or copying artboard

I am now noticing a error dialog appearing when I try to move or copy an artboard when any layer in the document is hidden or locked that says "Any hidden or locked objects in the artboards will not be moved." This is also appearing if I have any elements locked or hidden even when those objects are not on the artboard I am interacting with.

Normally this would be fine, but when the artboard contains only unlocked and visible elements on unlocked and visible layers I am still seeing the error popping every time I move or copy an…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Guides in trim view

It would be great if guides stayed viewable in trim view.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Palettes need corrections

In properties palette, when an object is selected, click on the ... on the right side of the first section AKA More OPTIONS displays the exact same thing that is already in the top section WITH the addition of the Scale corners and strokes, etc. What is the world is that for? Why not just have the OPTIONS to be the scale part and like the NORMAL palettes "More Options" they could be available all the time or collapsed.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Allow to set custom keyboard shortcut for tool size larger and smaller

If you have an AZERTY (French) keyboard it is IMPOSSIBLE to increase or decrease the tool size using a key shortcut. Allowing users to set a custom key would at least permit them to work around this limitation, at the same time as it would enlarge the customization of the tool.

With AZERTY the default keys [ and ] aren't accessible except using the Alt Gr modifier, and this does not work. This is confirmed after extensive searching by the community from a question I asked here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/square-bracket-keys-on-azerty-touche-crochet-avec-clavier-azerty/m-p/11154730?page=1

Allowing to resize the tool with the keyboard is important for graphic…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Expand toolgroup on hover instead of long-click

Holding a mouse button to open a tool group can be not preferred way for some users that have experience in other software packages. It would benefit them and others if Illustrator will provide an option and a delay in Preferences to open these with just a mouse hovering over tools.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Button to reveal a Layer on "Layer window"

Is there a possibility to create a right-clic option to "reveal on Layer window" from any object? Sometimes when I receive some .ai files, everything is un-organized and must travel over layers and layers... This option is in After Effects and is very helpful.
    Thanks for reading!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Problem with NEW LAYERS Colors - Expanded

It has been posted but it seems it has been ignored. I suspect that it is due to the fact that majority of the ILLUSTRATOR TEAM are NOT real users and/or designers. If that offends you, face the truth of it or provide some reasoning.
    Bottom line is that making new layers assigns different colors for the selected objects AND most of these colors are just useless! I have created a visual reference for the first 8 colors for comparison.
    So, please with sugar and honey on top and a sweet chai on the side… I am NOT suggesting that…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Action History Panel

Create a history panel or a way to see and choose the actions done, like in Photoshop, instead of having to press ctrl-z fifty times!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Home screen customisation

Home screen needs more customisation, such as being able to add 'Create a new file' shortcuts for sizes/templates I often use, currently I only use Illustrator for creating and modifying print files so web, iPhone, HDV etc shortcuts are completely useless to me, as is the A4 and postcard shortcuts as I work in many different sizes. Also being able to make the thumbnails for recently used files smaller to be able to have more files showing would be a huge help.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow difference keyboard increments for up/down and left/right arrow keys.

Please let us define separate increment values for each arrow key, or at least up/down and left/right.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Bring back right-click Opacity Mask

Remember when you could right click and select 'Opacity Mask'?

Yeah, those were the days. The process is twice as long now unless you have the 'transparency' window as a permanent fixture in your workspace.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Option to group multiple elements inside Symbol panel, Graphic Styles and Paragraph Styles panels.

Option to create and manage groups of multiple elements inside Symbol panel, Graphic Styles and Paragraph Styles panels, just like we already have in Swatches panel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. fix the Layers palette; modernize it.

The layers Palette in Illustrator Predates most Design apps out there. Because of that, many of its behaviors are critically out dated and in great need of a top - bottom update.

some critical things to fix:
    1. Selection tracking should be unified. Selecting in the Layers palette should ALSO select the elements in the document. Throw away the confusing 2nd step there.

1. naming. make it more flexible. IE: add built in options for the renaming that occurs when you copy a Layer. Add the ability to rename selected layers with one text entry. Add to that, a simple Scripting…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Change the Separations Preview panel to behave like it does in InDesign

Can you change the Separations Preview panel in Illustrator to behave just like it does in InDesign? The Separations Preview panel in InDesign shows the percentage of each color separation when you hover over an area of the artwork, and includes the Ink Limit option. Both of those features would be extremely useful in Illustrator.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. give users the option to copy layers, and NOT have them renamed.

currently, Character Animator REQUIRES multiple layer hierarchies that use the exact same naming convention.

When I duplicate a perfectly good Layer Hierarchy, every damned single layer in it, Gets renamed. This creates Hours of tedious work for me that is incredibly stupid.

I want a set of options in the preferences to dictate exactly how Illustrator behaves when it duplicates a Layer/Layer Hierarchy.

I want to be able to change the string used.
    I want to be able to set it to use a numbering system (number, step, padding)
    I want to be able to turn it the **** off.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base