Illustrator Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Rasterizing a clipped group should result in an image with bounds no larger than the clipping object.

See attached image for clarification. Currently, rasterizing a clipping group results in an image that is the size of the entire group bounds, rasterized as extra white space.

It would be much better IMO if the resulting image was automatically cropped to the clipping object's bounds. It would also be nice if for non-rectangular clipping masks, all areas outside of the clipping object's shape were rasterized as fully transparent.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. When opening a multi page pdf instead of having to select the range, why can't it open the page you see in the window

When opening a multi page pdf instead of having to select the range, why can't it open the page you see in the window? In other words, why not make the window page and range the column. I am always selecting the page in the window and forget to change range and always end up opening page 1. Thanks

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Tangent Constraint or Advanced snapping system

I work in Illustrator all the time and I ask my self why or how can I snap a line or a shape to the tangent of another shape like Autodesk AutoCAD's "Tangent Constraint", some say that I can start with the Line Segment tool and go from there building the shape, but this option will give me a limited movement and it's not practical like if we have a tangent constraint in Illustrator so we can build logos and shapes more easier and that will make illustrator go to perfection more and more.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Variable text fields

It would be really helpful to have an option in Illustrator which can automatically fill custom variable fields like date, file name, etc.

I am working in print industry for almost 10 years and our primary software is AI, with adding the above option, it will help designers to save lot of time.

Appreciate your consideration for the above idea.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Better antialiasing

Long time ago I abandoned Xara and moved to Illustrator full-time.
    I managed to solve all problems I had encountered with, but several things still bug me.

One of them is this:
    https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/31525333-minus-front-on-grouped-objects
    https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/32954797-pathfinder-must-work-with-group-as-a-single-object

The other one is a crude antialiasing.

See attached images.
    Zara puts more shades of gray to show the slope of test line, while AI leaves more uniformly filled areas. It gets more noticeable when angle gets sharper.
    Changing antialising options doesn't help.

Please, make antialiasing better.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Remove survey requests from app

Give users some way to disable in-app survey request popups. Simply clicking the X does NOT prevent it from popping up again in the future.

How about moving this request out of the program so it doesn't appear during a long, automated batch operation for example (and can't be dismissed BTW). Adobe has our email addresses, just send the request there. OR move survey notifications to the CC Desktop App. That's a nice central location that does not impinge on production activities in any of the apps.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Visible keyboard shortcuts for actions

In photoshop you can see the keyboard shortcuts for a created action right behind the action in the action-window. Why isn't this possible in illustrator?

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Copy the style of stroke when using eyedropper tool

When I use the eyedropper tool on a stroke with arrowhead, the full style does not get copied - only color and weight (not arrowhead). I think it is expected for the arrowhead to get copied too, just like the color AND font get copied when you use the eyedropper tool on text.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. edit color of text in symbol instance

I think it should be possible to edit the color of text in a dynamic symbol instance, just like it possible to change the color fill of any other element

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Option for Smart guides to ignore objects outside isolation

Sometimes you want to isolate certain objects to not mess with everything else. Unfortunatelly, you can't isolate parts of different groups (but that is the other topic—'making isolation more like 'solo' in AE). But enve when you have isoalted something, Smart guides still want to snap to objects other then you want to work with. Sometimes it's fine, yeah, but mostly I want SG to ignore everything else but isolated stuff. Please make a tick somewhere for this.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Bounding Box bug

Adobe, have you seen this page. https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1148039
    The bounding box problem has persisted over versions, years. Extremely strange that it continues to pester even to this day. Will you ever do anything about it?

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Infinite Canvas

I find myself using more and more Figma to brainstorm and create my designs as I have a single document containing all of my visual explorations.

For print assets I go back to Illustrator and create the final file, but I reallly wish I could have done it all in illustrator. So just removing the canvas limit.
    Not artboards or number of something -> just being able to spread and spread your ideas in the same place.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. the option "History", as in Photoshop; In photoshop.

The new illustration update, should have the option "History", as in Photoshop. I was just working on a design and really needed that tool, but as it was, it took me another hour doing everything again. Please, it would be a very useful tool in Illustrator.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Folders in the Graphic Styles palette.

I draw comics, and use Graphic Styles to keep my characters consistent across panels and pages.

A simple character might involve a half dozen styles. A complicated character can involve a lot more - see the attached screenshot.

Add in a good chunk of Graphic Styles for recurring background elements and I'm constantly dealing with triple-digit number of entries in the Graphic Styles palette. Finding the set of styles I want to use becomes an increasingly tedious process as pages get more complicated.

I would like to be able to create folders of Graphic Styles, which I can open and…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Illustraitor - Artboard Free Rotation

It would be great to be able to FREELY (not via manualy punching in numbers) rotate the Canvas in the same way you can do it in Photoshop. When you select the Rotation tool you can just freely rotate the whole work area/canvas/art-board along with all the content on it. This way drawing some lines that are in a difficult angle will be much easier. After you are done just like in Photoshop when the Rotation tool is selected pressing the ESC button will re-rotate everything to the original position

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Please Remove Artboard Limit Entirely!

There appears to be a limit of 1000 artboards on a single canvas in Adobe Illustrator. This is VERY annoying. I frequently have Illustrator files with multiple very small artboards (for iconography). It's absurd that I have all this canvas space and cannot add as many artboards as I want/need.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Keep transparency when raster image is copied/pasted (at least from PS)

I have, let's say, image with background erased. I want to copy it in PS and paste in AI, intending opacity to be kept, but NO, you get opaque image.
    I don't care who is in charge for this, you or PS team, just get it done already.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Select Same Font

a tool to select all the text objects that share the same font as your current selected text

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Please support for this file formats

dear illustrator team pleased add support for this file formats in illustrator "WebP, TIFF, jpeg XL, jpeg XS, HEIC(HEIF), aPNG"

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow linked content within symbols.

It would be nice to create symbols with linked content that would update when the linked content changes. Currently you have to embed anything within a symbol, images for example.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base