Illustrator Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. How come the measure tool does not snap to points?

Without snapping, measuring between points is not very accurate.
    It would be nice to be able to measure actual lengths of curves or sections of paths. It would make it easier to create diagrams with dimensions.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. When will it be possible that Adobe Illustrator to create and import objects of more than 32000 nodes?

When will it be possible that Adobe Illustrator to create and import objects of more than 32000 nodes? Why is it still cannot (at the end of 2017)? It is a very big limitation for those of us who work in mapping projects (because the vector geometries are in need of a great graphic definition).

An added problem is that even though we use specific plugins of cartography (Avenza MAPublisher, for example) like they work in Adobe Illustrator they suffer the same limitation and they do not suppose any alternative…

By when a definitive solution?

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Free Form Gradients AI CC 2019 - You cannot add a Free Form Gradient to the Swatch Panel.

FREE FORM GRADIENT - The new feature in Ai CC 2019. You can create amazing gradients, however, you cannot save any free form gradient created to the swatch panel or the Cloud Library....why ?

Its a great feature, however, it makes for so much extra work if you want to use any free form gradient you create in one file, in another file or project in the future....it would be logical to be able to save this new style of creating gradients to the CC Library and to one's Swatch Panel.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. I would LOVE to be able to copy appearance attributes!

It would be VERY helpful if I could copy the appearance of one item and paste to apply them to another, instead of having to do everything over again for each item.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. The ability to increase the text size of any menu, pallete or dock item. Some of us are going blind.

Give users more flexibility with the program interface please. This will help alot of people with eye strain.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add Linux Support

It would be great if the Adobe Apps were fully cross-platform compatible. We already have Mac support so the precedent further *Nix OS support seems reasonable. This would help me immensely as this barrier is the ONLY thing that keeps me tied to both Mac OS and Windows in addition to Ubuntu. Currently I have to deal with either:
    1. A shoddy WINE installation of the aging CS6 apps
    2. A windows VM which is painful for the type of development work I do around Illustrator

This would also lead to some further cost / performance benefits with the systems…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Selection tool+Shift to only ADD to selection without deselecting already selected objects

If you drag Selection Tool while holding Shift over already selected objects it deselects them. This can be very frustrating in some cases, for example if you have to carefully select and delete multiple patches of overlapping shapes. Instad of just holding Shift and dragging a selection box multiple times and then deleting, you have to select, delete, select again, delete and so on.

It would be nice for Shift key to only add to selection without deselecting, and (for example) for Alt key - to only subtract.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Artboard numbering glitch

When I make extra artboards, sometimes the numbering doesn't work and it gives problems with exporting files.

See the file I included

1 Artboard 1
    3 Artboard 3
    3 Artboard 3
    4 Artboard 4

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Enable smart guides with Measure Tool

Measure tool just doesn't work with smart guides.
    At all.
    Why? Why?!

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Make conical gradient

Don't tell me abous mesh trick, it has it's limits and surely is not that easy to use.
    Just make Conical type gradient from the box.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Can the ability to resize all selected objects to a specific size.

If you have multiple objects selected that range in size, say .5" to .75". they ability to select them all, then size them ALL to 2" and not just the first object to hit 2".

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Folders for symbol

There should be a way to organize all symbols (i often use more then 30 symbols per document), it gets very messy in the symbol window. It would be so much easier to organize and keep track of everything with the ability to create folders in the symbol window.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Chinese text hyphenation alignment for punctuation marks in Illustrator text box

Punctuation marks justified alignment on textbox.

Need to automate the text alignment in the textbox for Chinese characters.

Because it is very time consuming to do manual kerning for each characters reiteratively, whenever there is amendment to the text in the box.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Remember Pathfinder Options across sessions

Currently, the Pathfinder Options are not remembered across Illustrator sessions. This can be tested with the following steps.

1. Launch Illustrator.

2. Via the Pathfinder panel, use the flyout menu to open Pathfinder Options.

3. Set the precision to anything other than 0.028 pt.

4. Quit and relaunch Illustrator.

5. Reopen the Pathfinder Options. The precision has been set back to 0.028 pt.

It would also be good if the Pathfinder Options were able to be recorded as an action. It seems like a bug that they can not now — recording an action for it appears to work, and there is a Pathfinder Options…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Bounding box not visible / non-existent for Graphs

The bounding box is non-existent for graphs drawn in illustrator. Have tried turning on/off "hide edges" under view, restarting, shutting down, but nothing is working. Scaling tool is useless too as the bounding box remains invisible.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Share "Typequest" cache with Adobe applications.

Illustrator CC 2019 and InDesign CC 2019 generate "Typequest" caches in separate folders by Visual Font Browsing, but occupy the disk because each cache size is large. 
    For Japanese, the font data becomes very large.
    In the future, it is not practical to generate caches individually for other applications, so caches should be shared by applications.

(Translated to Japanese)
    Illustrator CC 2019 と InDesign CC 2019 は、ビジュアルフォント表示の ”Typequest" キャッシュを個別に作成しますが、このキャッシュサイズがとても大きく、ディスクを圧迫します。
    日本語の場合、フォントデータがとても大きくなります。
    今後、このキャッシュを Adobe アプリ全体で共通利用させ、個別に作成しないようにしてほしい。

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Make Mesh Envelope Distort work with linked images

Since Free distort doesn't support images at all, both linked or embedded.
    I have to use envelope distortion each time I need to distort an image within AI.
    But I have to break link with image for this, because Envelope works only with embedded images sadly.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Improve snapping strength

Currently, there is a "snap to point" feature in illustrator. However, I find that it works poorly. Often, I create guides, create geometric shapes on those guides, and move them overlap, join, or intersect to make new shapes. Currently, when I create a shape, I notice the shape will snap to a guide, but when I zoom in all the way, it will not be exact. Also, when I try to move two shapes together, I will experience the snapping effect, but it often is not lined up when I zoom in.

Is it possible to improve the snapping to…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. QR Code Generator (Like in InDesign)

InDesign gives you the ability to generate a vector QR code on the fly, I was unable to find a way to do this in Illustrator and would love to have this option if possible. I design a lot of packaging art that will sometimes require a QR code. This way, I can generate a QR code that is a high quality vector without having to import one from another source. Thanks!

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Illustraitor - Artboard Free Rotation

It would be great to be able to FREELY (not via manualy punching in numbers) rotate the Canvas in the same way you can do it in Photoshop. When you select the Rotation tool you can just freely rotate the whole work area/canvas/art-board along with all the content on it. This way drawing some lines that are in a difficult angle will be much easier. After you are done just like in Photoshop when the Rotation tool is selected pressing the ESC button will re-rotate everything to the original position

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base