When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Page numbers

Please implement the ability to convert characters into current page numbers, identical to the InDesign feature. This would save extensive time and effort when creating documents in Illustrator, instead of manually doing this.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Show how many artboards are selected

Since we can have multiple artboards selected and this selection isn't very noticeable (which should be fixed too), why not to show how many artboards are selected?
    Just say how many in empty 'Name:' field, since it shows nothing when more is one artboard is selected, in brackets or different color.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Intuitive access to Custom Templates and show the correct name

Hi - I use custom templates more than a 1,000 times a year. Every Illustrator template is easily located in the New Document window. Logically, you should be able to access Custom Templates there ... without drilling through More Settings - a nearly buried link - and then the Templates button - also seemingly an afterthought.

Also, in the Recent Items window, my custom templates don't include the template name; they just say [Custom] and the file dimensions. This isn't helpful if you have multiple custom templates.

I hope these features are addressed in a future update. Thanks.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Transferring object name when Releasing to Layers

When I Release to Layers, all of the objects within that layer are renamed to "Layer 1, Layer 2, Layer 3" etc. and I'd love to be able to have the new layers be named the same as when they were objects.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Artboard search function

Add a search bar to the Artboards window

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Layer freezing

When doing very complicated artwork, sometimes Illustrator's live preview starts to become impossibly slow. Distorted dense fill patterns, lots of art brushes full of translucent shapes, complicated high-res bitmap effects… I can do some stunning things with these but I’m reluctant to use them, because I need to have fast response time in my drawing tool.

Currently, layers can be locked, or unlocked. I would like to have a third mode: 'frozen', where the layer is locked, and a bitmap of the entire layer is cached. This bitmap is then used for rendering the preview, until such time as the…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Get rid of that awful new document screen. It's annoying for experienced users.

Please have a way to turn off that new document screen the same way I can turn off the "Start Workspace".

Experienced users don't need (or want) doc creation on-boarding.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Make an option to disable auto-selection of artboards, when clicked inside

AI now selects artboard whenever mouse is clicked within in (with any tool). While it's a great general behaviour, I'd like to be able to disable it.

I have to work with overlapping artboards (which, by the way, sometimes prevent AI from correctly selecting the artboard clicked—it depends on artboards' order). When object is copied, AI remembers it's coordinates. Then, when I go to the object I need to place my copied art over and press Ctrl+F, AI pastes the object in the same coordinates. Sounds OK, but when I clicked that underlying object, AI moved the focus from initial…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Touch workspace needs a layers panel

Why they have not included such a basic, essential feature in the touch workspace is beyond me.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Rotating the view angle of the workspace (not just artboards)

Rotating the view angle of the workspace (not just artboards) would help packaging design as a flat box artwork usually has panels at 0°, 90° and 180°, instantly rotating the whole workspace to these angles would help make packaging design easier.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Set export options to default to the same folder the native is housed in

Set default export or save as locations to start in the same folder as the native Ai file as opposed to previous locations. It can be rather cumbersome when switching to an entirely new project, then exporting that project and having the 'save as' default to the entirely other project's recent save.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Introducing Responsive Artboards with possibility to drag and arrange the boards

Having a reponsive panel of the artboards which becomes thumbnails and possibilty to drag and arrange the artboards.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Pressing Ctrl+Shift+PgUp with single artboard doesn't work as it does with multiple artboards

When working with multiple artboards (I use them for exporting tiffs from larger design) using Ctrl+Shift+PgUp is quite handy to quickly navigate to first, master artboard AND set zoom to 'Fit artboard to window' with one hotkey.
    But when you have only one artboard, pressing Ctrl+Shift+PgUp (expecting it to fit artboard in window) does nothing.

I think it should work consistently.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Default Artboard Position

When you create a new Adobe Illustrator document the Default Position of the Artboard should not be in the center it should be in the upper left corner with a little margin top and left.

At least give us the option to choose if we like a default center or upper left corner artboard position.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. duplicate artboard

It should be possible to duplicate artworks not only with Alt + Drag but with a button in the artboard options aswell - just replace it with the text that says "Press Alt + Drag Cursor to duplicate artboard" and keep the Hotkey function.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Deleting Artboard

Can you add back the little cross/close button (we used to have in CC2017) to the artboard so that I can delete the artboards without visiting the artboard pannal?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Drag and drop artwork between documents in same place

Photoshop allows to drag-n-drop artwork between documents in same place, when you hold Shift.
    In Illustrator, no matter what you hold, artwork would be dropped where cursor is pointed, with no respect to original X,Y coordinates.
    I desperately need this!

Quite often I have to copy artwork, containing huge raster images, from one document to another. I need them to be placed in same place, snapped on grid, but AI just drops it. The only way to keep coordinates — is to copy/paste in front/place, which takes an EON to do with my big raster images.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Preflight

Please implement an integrated preflight function that works in the same manner as the preflight function found in InDesign.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. artboard

When i create a new artboard it automaically places it next to my previous artboard. normally you see a preview and can place it somewere of your chosing. Is there a option to disable this?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base