Illustrator Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add a button to save presets like Photoshop has.

Photoshop has a button to save presets when you create a new document. I love that feature makes my job easier, I wish Illustrator had that same button instead of having to save the files as templates. So much simpler and faster with the button right there.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Transferring object name when Releasing to Layers

When I Release to Layers, all of the objects within that layer are renamed to "Layer 1, Layer 2, Layer 3" etc. and I'd love to be able to have the new layers be named the same as when they were objects.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Move(select) multiple artboards with just a mouse

I just need to be able to select and move multiple artboards.
    Thats so simple. Currently, I can select only 1, but I have 100 of them already and I want move some groups in my document, to easy re-arrange them. But I have to move one by one. AWKWARD.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    We are pleased to inform you that your request is available in the latest release of Illustrator version 22.0.
    Visit your Adobe Creative Cloud Application and update. If you do not see an update on the application please check for update from the flyout options on the application after clicking on three vertical dots. For step by step process please visit: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/download-install-app.html#Checkforupdates

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

4. Automatially push guides to a single layer

It'd be great to have an optional feature that pushes every newly created guide to a dedicated guide layer. I think many people work with an eytra layer for guides on top of their layer stack to toggle visibility and lock, and manually collecting all guides gets tedious.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Artboard numbering error

When dublicating artboards (Alt + drag), the program randomly makes one of the artboards dublicate with the same number. When exporting the artboards, one of the duplicates is ignored and cannot be exported.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Artboard numbering by order not by creation

For many years I wish AI sorted the artboards by their position in the document but not by their time of creation. When moving artboards around for creating an presentation (which I would like to export later by maintainig the sequence I see on the canvas) it would be so much more comfortable when the numbering of the artboard would change accordingly. For example if I prepare a presentation with miltiple artboards and dceide to move the most right artboard of the bottum row to the very upper left position I wish this artboard would be numbered as artboard #1…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Separate marquee selecting and deselecting into different keys

Shift + marquee selecting should not simultaneously select and deselect objects, instead the two should be separated into different keys, such as 'Shift' for only adding to the current selection and 'Alt' only subtracting from it.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow Scale adjustment when creating New Document

Many times as a designer you have to create artwork that is a fraction of the final scale. It would be nice if you could enter the final size in inches or feet, and then hit a dropdown that would have different fractions of scale (1/8, 1/4, 1/2 etc.) and then illustrator could compute the appropriate numbers. It could also scale down the bleed area as well.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Pressing Ctrl+Shift+PgUp with single artboard doesn't work as it does with multiple artboards

When working with multiple artboards (I use them for exporting tiffs from larger design) using Ctrl+Shift+PgUp is quite handy to quickly navigate to first, master artboard AND set zoom to 'Fit artboard to window' with one hotkey.
    But when you have only one artboard, pressing Ctrl+Shift+PgUp (expecting it to fit artboard in window) does nothing.

I think it should work consistently.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Intuitive access to Custom Templates and show the correct name

Hi - I use custom templates more than a 1,000 times a year. Every Illustrator template is easily located in the New Document window. Logically, you should be able to access Custom Templates there ... without drilling through More Settings - a nearly buried link - and then the Templates button - also seemingly an afterthought.

Also, in the Recent Items window, my custom templates don't include the template name; they just say [Custom] and the file dimensions. This isn't helpful if you have multiple custom templates.

I hope these features are addressed in a future update. Thanks.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Turn a layer highlight into an object selection

It's often simpler to highlight entries in the layers panel than it is to select the objects on the artboard.

e.g. you could just click the first and shift-click the last in order to hightlight many consecutive layers.

It would be really efficient if those highlighted objects could then be turned into a selection on the artboard (for transforming the elements or whatnot).

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Artboard search function

Add a search bar to the Artboards window

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Export Artboards' ExportTo directory should be saved in the Illustrator File

Currently, Export Artboards' ExportTo directory is a per Application setting and changes for all subsequent ExportTo actions.

It really should be a per Illustrator File setting so that exporting art boards from a file defaults to last export directory used for this file.

To support both per file and per application behaviours:

1. Add a checkbox next to the ExportTo: directory field: "Use last export directory for this file" with the state of this check box is saved in the Illustrator file so it does not need to be changed after the first export.

If selected shows the file's export to…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Align multiple icons to the center of multiple artboards

I want to align multiple icons to the center of pre-existing artboards. I don't want to have to hand select each icon and align horizontally and vertically to every single artboard.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. To arrange Artboards alphabetically by there names!!

To have an option where I can arrange artboards by there names

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Make Y direction POSITIVE numbers above the Y "zero" point like in the rest of world.

Align Illustrator with the rest of the world by making the default Y direction positive numbers above the Y "zero" point - in my case zero is set to the very center of the Artboard.

And also make this a preference item across CC apps. I still don't see how it's an advantage in InDesign and Photoshop.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Import artboards into InDesign from Illustrator and vice versa.

Requestiog a function for importing artboards from InDesign to Illustrator and vice versa into Master Boards

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Export an AI Artboard from multi-artboard file to a separate single artboard AI file.

Often I create AI files with multiple artboards for creating a seamless document for presentations. Often after the presentation is made I need to break apart the file and parse out the pages to created technical fabrication details. It would help immensely if the artboards were exportable into separate single artboard AI files.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Triangular grid with precise snapping

It would be great to have triangular grid with precise snapping besides regular square grid for drawing geometric shapes, patterns and isometric illustrations.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Rotating the view angle of the workspace (not just artboards)

Rotating the view angle of the workspace (not just artboards) would help packaging design as a flat box artwork usually has panels at 0°, 90° and 180°, instantly rotating the whole workspace to these angles would help make packaging design easier.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base