Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Separate tab for customs presets in new blank document like "mobile", "web", "film&video" etc

Hello, Is it possible to create a separate tab for customs presets in new blank document like "mobile", "web", "film&video" etc and under that tab we can create multiple customs presets/template with respective settings.
    For example "create a social media tab" and under that tab there will be various customs presets new blank doc for "instagram", "Facebook", "Linkedin" etc etc

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Carry decimals in the Artboard Size to ten thousandths

Carry decimals in the Artboard Size to ten thousandths so it matches the Transform palette. Right now you can only view the accurate Artboard size in the Document Info palette.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Keyboard shortcuts for align/distribute.

I miss having keyboard shortcuts for align/distribute from my CorelDraw days. I'm a pro designer in a fast turnaround environment, and keyboard shortcuts are essential to my workflow.

As far as I know, the numeric keypad isn't being used in Illustrator. My proposal is: Pressing 0 toggles between absolute to the artboard or relative to last item selected. Pressing 2, 4, 5, 6, 8 will perform the align .2 = bottom, 4 = left, 5 = centre, 6 = right, 8 = top. Additionally 7 = distribute horizontal, 9 = distribute vertical.

Also, please copy the CorelDraw keyboard shortcut Tab…

146 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

64 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Scrolling through zoomed in Artwork while dragging an object

When I am zoomed in and drag an object - for example draw a rectangle or line that reaches the end of the window while dragging, the artboard scrolls but the image is not refreshed. Only the ruler shows me, that I am scrolling... Even when I stop dragging and release the mousebutton, the image is not fully refreshed. Otherwise: when I drag the Marquee-Tool to the end of the window, scrolling starts and the image gets constantly refreshed while dragging. This is the way I would normally expect it to be, regardless of the the Tool I am using.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. When Draging a Item to New File, The preview of destination file is not showing up.

When Draging a Item to New File, The preview of destination file is not showing up. Only I can see the preview on current document

Illustrator Verison: 24.0
    Laptop: Lenovo T540P running Windows 10 18363.449

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Please add Page Numbering on artboards. Thanks.

Please add "Insert Page Number" Feature on multiple artboards. Because we need it so much. Thank you.

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Export an AI Artboard from multi-artboard file to a separate single artboard AI file.

Often I create AI files with multiple artboards for creating a seamless document for presentations. Often after the presentation is made I need to break apart the file and parse out the pages to created technical fabrication details. It would help immensely if the artboards were exportable into separate single artboard AI files.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Rearrange expanded layers without collapsing

When a layer has sublayers and/or it is expanded, it is currently impossible to drag a new layer below the expanded layer without collapsing it because the new layer is automatically made a sublayer of that expanded layer. The opposite works - new layers can be placed above even when not collapsed. Being able to see desired sublayers or content and arrange in both directions would be ideal.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Complete user-defined default settings

The work I do for my company has certain defaults that go beyond the layout of my workspace. I only use one font, I always need the same set of color swatches, I use the same tolerance amounts, etc. I export to PDFs the same way every time, I essentially need the same options. (And even with a template, I have to start from scratch for many of these options.)

While I can save certain usual elements in my CC Library, I waste so much time saving and opening and searching. AND even then, I still have to reset the…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. export for. screens + variable to append file name

export for. screens -- I want to insert variable to append AI file name so I do not have manually type file name for each canvas exported when creating icons or illustrations

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow some Layers to be global rather than all locked to Artboards

With the new Artboard-specific Layers all artwork is now locked to a layer.

This removes the ability to have artwork which spans Artboards.

We frequently need to provide individual artboards for production based on segments of a larger piece of artwork. (For example individual PDFs for each panel of a large tradeshow stand).

This doesn't appear possible with the new feature.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Make it so guides do not count as part of the project

Make it so guides do not count as part of the project so you get correct measurements when selecting all.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Make it so guides do not count as anything when copying/pasting

Make it so guides do not count as anything when copying/pasting. They stop you from placing objects at times.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. wrap art for artboards to create seamless art tile textures

the same way in photoshop one can simulate art wrap with the image offset filter

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. The Illustrator Toolbox should be able to display in a one-row horizontal position, like the InDesign Toolbox can

Double-clicking the double-arrows on the upper-right corner of the Tool box will change the orientation from one-row-of-tools-vertically arranged, to two-rows-vertically arranged. InDesign does this as well, with the addition of a third way, one-row-of-tools arranged horizontally. This is by far the most useful way in my opinion and I really wish Illustrator and perhaps Photoshop too, had the same option.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. active artboard

When we work on multiple artboards, it will be good to recognize the artboard who is used when I select a object or I click on a artboard and to active it.
    So when I select all elements in my document, with the keyboard shorcut, all of the objects of my active artboard will be selected. Or if I select an object every where, the artboard containing this object will be activated automatically.
    often, i select all objects on my first arboard but he's not active and when I paste in place in an other artboard of an other document,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Export Artboards' ExportTo directory should be saved in the Illustrator File

Currently, Export Artboards' ExportTo directory is a per Application setting and changes for all subsequent ExportTo actions.

It really should be a per Illustrator File setting so that exporting art boards from a file defaults to last export directory used for this file.

To support both per file and per application behaviours:

1. Add a checkbox next to the ExportTo: directory field: "Use last export directory for this file" with the state of this check box is saved in the Illustrator file so it does not need to be changed after the first export.

If selected shows the file's export to…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. enable ruler opacity. some times it get too hard to see through thin lines in my art work

opacity dont work on ruler so most of the times i dont get to see what behind the ruler.if you enable ruler to work with opacity then it will be much easier to see whats behind ruler line.thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. delete artboard with content

Be able to delete artboard with content. One or many pages.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Make an option to disable auto-selection of artboards, when clicked inside

AI now selects artboard whenever mouse is clicked within in (with any tool). While it's a great general behaviour, I'd like to be able to disable it.

I have to work with overlapping artboards (which, by the way, sometimes prevent AI from correctly selecting the artboard clicked—it depends on artboards' order). When object is copied, AI remembers it's coordinates. Then, when I go to the object I need to place my copied art over and press Ctrl+F, AI pastes the object in the same coordinates. Sounds OK, but when I clicked that underlying object, AI moved the focus from initial…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base