When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Drag-and-Drop Swatches to Artboard

This functionality wouldn't change the swatches palette it, but would allow users to drag a swatch to the artboard and drop it. You could tile several to create a tonal family or brand color set.

Being able to scale them larger, arrange them, reformat the grid, turn the white gap off in between colors would improve color adjustment and comparing hues side by side. They'd function like the existing swatches panel in that you could have a shape or stroke selected and apply the color by clicking the swatch on the artboard.

This would help in color exploration and creating…

286 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

77 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Automatically make gradients by just selecting two or more colours.

Create a default gradient of two or more colours just by selecting them on the artwork or on the swatches panel without having to copy and paste the color codes separately.

95 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Smart/Adaptive Colors

Smart colors would allow a user to apply different numerical values to a color within their Swatches, and lock them across color profiles. This would differ from the current standards by allowing users to preselect the different values for each color profile and lock them in, ensuring better consistency throughout materials.

For example, if the document is in CMYK, the color will adapt the the CMYK values applied and locked to the color. When dragged into a new project set up in RGB, the color would adapt to the assigned RBG values. This would also allow the opportunity to link…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. evenly space color swatch while creating new gradient

being able to distribute color swatch inside the gradient window
    eg : i want 32 swatchs on a single gradient bar.
    being ablie to eveny distribute them instead of picking a value on click and drag it ( as it is really teadius or imprecise)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add a Spot Colors channel to the Separations Preview window

Add a "Spot Colors" channel to the "Separation Preview" window. Like you have in Acrobat. See screenshot attached. This will make toggling through the spot colors a LOT more easier and efficient. Then having to turn on and off each spot color individually.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Stop switching away from the swatches panel automatically!

When I switch from stoke to fill, it wastes my time to have to click back to the Swatches panel. Why does it switch. I never asked for this and I never use the color panel it switches to.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Fill/Stroke icons to match: in the tools bar

the smaller sub-icons for Fill and Stroke Boxes shouldto match. (Fill is Full and Stroke is Hollow). Under stroke, the icons only change for the color, but the icons do not change for gradient and no/color/opacity.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. When entering colour values Illustrator searches your currently open swatch book for the same values.

So for example if you are doing a CMYK colour, once you've put in the values it comes up with a "suggested swatch" option that has the same values or even suggests swatches with similar/close values.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Stop the "Color" sidebar window from auto opening no matter what.

Stop the "Color" sidebar window from auto opening no matter what. I do not use the "color" tab ever. I know others might, but making it always auto open drives me bananas. Can it be open only if chosen, instead of no matter what?
    Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Open the color picker with a single click

In Photoshop and XD the color pickers open with a single click. I can't think of any reason why we need to double click in illustrator

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Eyedropper tool usable during color picker

Eyedropper tool should be usable while the color picker is open. This is available in Photoshop but inexplicable absent from AI.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Where's the colour???

My new Adobe Illustrator seems to be totally in Black and white and grey scale. Where do I find the colour option in it?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Separation preview with values on hover

Just like in InDesign there should be the value of each channel on the exact spot (while you are hovering over any point on your artwork)

Here the difference between AI and ID (each while hovering over an image)

It's hard to check color values without (at the moment you have to put the finished .ai into a InDesign document, activate separation view there and check each point.) For printing you have a minimum requirement of 3%-7% (depending on the technique like offset or gravure printing) in each channel to make sure it actually prints. Otherwise it may not! It…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Color wheel

MagicPicker is great. What about making something similar from the box?

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Color Reverse

I've been making icons and when I have to reverse them to be on a dark background it would be great to be able to do that with one click.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. add a bar where you can see the history of colours used

kinda like Photoshop or Procreate but in Illustrator

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO REMOVE THE REGISTRATION COLOR SWATCH.

SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO REMOVE 'REGISTRATION' FROM COLOR SWATCH PANEL.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. repeating pattern random recolor art

the merger of recolor art and the idea of variations in the context of repeating patterns. the recolor art needs a slot like interface where the user can store several variations on a theme into 'alt slots' these could be accessed by the repeating pattern algorithm to generate a more diverse result. perhaps with variations on size and rotation of the constituent elements.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make the hex code box visible for all color modes on the color panel. Not just RGB modes.

I only ever use HSB to dial in my color and it slows me down to double click on the color to only have to copy the hex code in a different window. The only modes that currently have a box that displays the hex code are RGB or WebsafeRGB. This is missing for all other modes such as HSB, CMYK and Grayscale. Make the hex code box visible for all color modes on the color panel, please.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Photoshop Like Color Editing Across Multiple Vectors

It would be great to have the ability to manipulate colors across multiple vectors by HSB. There is a plugin capable of handling this by Astute graphics, but their pricing practices are criminal in nature. They are currently trying to double charge me for their product and I'd like to just get away from that company all together.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base