When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

26 results found

1. Pin Contextual Task Bar position (like in Photoshop)

Hi Adobe,

While I love the idea of the contextual toolbar, I'm sure I am joined by many in my opinion that it really gets in the way a lot of time, covering up parts of the design you'd like to see, making it hard to resize or move an object precisely and so on.

I'm extremely happy that I can just permanently pin the bar in the bottom of the screen (or wherever I want it) in Photoshop, but this option is entirely missing in Illustrator.

The bar will remain where it is for the duration of my work…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. How do we add copy and paste to the right click menu?

How do we add copy and paste to the right click menu?

In almost all Adobe products copy and paste are in the right click menu but I can't find a way to turn them on in Illustrator. How do I get them to show up or even request an update to the program if they aren't in the program for some strange reason. Why would they be left out? Can we also use scripting to add other useful commands to the menu to save time while we work?

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. basic grammar in alerts please.

"close anyways" ? “anyway” is an adverb and it is impossible for adverbs to be plural.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Introduce Undo History panel

Please introduce Undo panel to Adobe Illustrator, listing all the steps that have been performed on a document during the current session, so one can quickly switch between any previous state and current state after testing a number of changes by clicking any item in the displayed Undo stack.

See this Adobe Forums thread for details:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/9801291

709 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Release / Cancel Image Trace

Let me back out of an image trace with ESC. Sometimes it just won't work and I need to back out. If I've tried a thousand different combinations and it still won't trace well then I have to delete the image or sit through all of my undo's and sometimes I run out of undo's. I need to be able to cancel the trace.

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. 100% size is actually actual size

Allow Illustrator to be monitor-aware. Have a feature where there is an onscreen ruler, and ask the user to hold up a real ruler to the screen. Let them drag a slider until the onscreen ruler perfectly matches the physical ruler. Then let this % value become the new "100% size" for that machine. Currently to see my artwork at 100% size, I need to set my view to 192%. I wish there was a setting to set my "100%" to default to 192%.

68 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In CC 2019 (latest update 23.0.1), at 100% Zoom 1inch artwork would display at 1inch in physical (Print) size, on any display. If this doesn’t work right for screen design workflows, please use the checkbox Preferences > General > Display Print Size at 100% Zoom, to turn off the feature. Currently this feature works only on primary display, and there are plans of extending this to other attached displays.

7. Stop tool panel from changing

I would like to be able to lock the tool panel. At the moment tools are always moving around. For example, a seleciton tool (black arrow) frequently disappears. It's a pain when I'm typing because I can't switch to a selection tool by using a shortcut "V" and I have to select a white arrow first and then press "V" to make the black arrow visible again. Horrible!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Let me turn off the obnoxious alternate glyphs popups

Because experienced users hate popups popping up all over their work!

154 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

9. Select inside marquee window

Create a toggle-able feature like the one found in many CAD programs:
    Select ONLY the objects ENTIRELY inside the selection window marquee via the following methods:
    1. hold Shift+drag
    2. Dragging left-to-right enables "select inside", dragging right-to-left enables "select touching" (as per most CAD programs)

80 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Excited to share that the requested functionality is now available in the public builds starting from V 28.3.0.

WIth the new Enclosed Mode, you can now select ONLY those objects which are completely INSIDE the marquee. 

To activate the Enclosed Mode, just press 'E' ONCE after you start doing the marquee with the Normal Selection Tool or Group Selection tool. 

Please note that, 

1. The button E acts as a toggle, which means you just have to press E once, to get into or out of the enclosed mode.

2. You have to press E only after doing the marquee, pressing E in empty canvas will invoke the Free Transform tool or the tool the shortcut 'E' is assigned to.

We made a lot of effort in building this capability, so please try it out and let us what you all think!

10. Option to show rulers by default

I would like an option to set the rulers to show by default. I know it's only one shortcut away, but I have to do it about a million times a day. (OK, maybe only 500K)

148 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Everyone,

This has been completed, and has available since June 2020 release (version 24.2)

Please go to Illustrator preferences > General > and select “Show/Hide Rulers” (refer attached screenshot). After checking this, if you hit ‘Show Rulers (Ctrl/Cmd + R)’, then the rulers will appear in every document (new and old), even after relaunching Illustrator.

Please update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback.

11. Constraint needed for 'Transform Each' and 'Transform' effect dialogs

Please add an option to constrain the horizontal and vertical values when scaling objects using 'Transform Each'.

I almost always use 'Transform Each' to scale proportionally, and right now you have to manually set horizontal and vertical to the same value.

104 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Layer Panel Rename + tab

This one is (or sounds) easy and would mimick Photoshop’s function :
    I need to be able to rename layers in a row without scripting, by simply typing tab to go to the next visible layer’s name.

• it would really help with Character Animator's process.

Step by step :

I’m in the Layers panel.
    Those are badly named (layer 1, layer 2, layer 7…)
    I double click on the top layer (1) name to change it.
    I type « item A »
    Then i press Tab once.
    I’m now in the « layer 2 » name field, and all is…

86 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Links 'Reveal in Finder / Explorer' function as in InDesign

Add an extra Links panel function under or above 'Reveal in Bridge' called maybe 'Reveal in Finder', as already exists in InDesign.

89 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Custom layer colors, layer 5 yellow is killing me

Can i please change the default layer colors so that layer 5 is not always yellow? I set up files all day long and yellow on white is ******* the eyes, would love to be able to set a default layer color for the first 5 or six new layers. Thank you.

57 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. The color yellow has been removed altogether as a layer color, and has been replaced by Magenta color for Layer 5. This functionality is available in our latest release build – 24.1.1 for Win and 24.1 for Mac which is available worldwide now.

What’s new in 24.1: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/whats-new.html

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback.

15. Locked objects Show a "lock" icon Like InDesign

A great feature to have in Illustrator is to unlock the locked object by clicking on the Lock icon next to the object. its hard to tell which object is locked except by going to object -> unlock All, or Check the Layers Panel. Adobe InDesign has this feature for years.

90 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Have a search bar at the top that searches all menu items.

Ok, the Adobe menus have a LOT of menu items and features. You guys should create a search bar that searches all the menu items and features to make it easier to find things.

Microsoft has this feature in it's Office Suite and it is SUPER useful.

For example have a bar that asks the user "What are you looking for" They can type anything, for example "Alignment" and it would bring up the alignment menu. Or "pathfinder" will bring up a button for the pathfinder menu.

Think about it guys, would save EVERYONE who isn't a pro SO much…

47 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The latest 2022 release has the Discover window that you can quickly call using F1 by default, which searches most if the commands available.
    Have you tried it? Please tell us how it differs from what you expect from the global search you have in mind? What is missing or can be improved?

17. Ability to search functions

For example, in rhino I can type all the functions without having to search through the menus with my mouse

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In latest version of Illustrator you can access Discover panel by hitting F1 or via Help menu.

This new window allows you to search within tools, commands, tutorials, etc. — but no commands form other panels’ menus, or scripts, or actions.

If you need this functionality, or have any other comments regarding this panel — please do it here or in a separate request.

18. CMD - CMD + : Zoom to center screen as in Previous versions

In new versions, CMD + and CMD - Zoom to center of a selected object rather than always the centre of the screen.
    It would be great if the possibility to restore the old feature was given.

Thank you!

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

We are pleased to inform you that your request is available in the latest release of Illustrator version 22.0.
    Visit your Adobe Creative Cloud Application and update. If you do not see an update on the application please check for update from the flyout options on the application after clicking on three vertical dots. For step by step process please visit: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/download-install-app.html#Checkforupdates

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

19. Multiple Artboards Selection for deletion

Since we dont have the multiple artboard seletion for (Deletion,Editing),Every time user has to select on the single Artboard and have to do the changes, that consumes more time if the artboards are more.

In easier terms ,Its hard to select everytime the artboards and to move it...

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Eliminate the Adobe Search Pane in the top right of illustrator

Adobe does not seem to be able to fix the problem of Adobe search being selected by default when a file is opened. I use a master layout page & am constantly pasting art I have copied to the pasteboard into the stupid, virtually useless Adobe search window. It immediately hangs Illustrator which eventually crashes.

This bug is ridiculously enraging. I cannot believe Adobe has not addressed this. It can't just be me having this issue

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base