Illustrator Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide an option for making artboard names visible on the artboard (like when editing artboards). This would be so helpful!

Provide an option in Adobe Illustrator to show artboard names on the artboard/on top of the artboard (like when editing artboards). This visible naming would greatly help to keep artboards organized in large, multiple artboard files.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make Y direction POSITIVE numbers above the Y "zero" point like in the rest of world.

Align Illustrator with the rest of the world by making the default Y direction positive numbers above the Y "zero" point - in my case zero is set to the very center of the Artboard.

And also make this a preference item across CC apps. I still don't see how it's an advantage in InDesign and Photoshop.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Automatically incorporate the .jpeg .png name into the artboard name

When working with multiple assets (png's and jpegs) and wish to import them in a document for various purposes: resize, remake them as vector for "overwrite" purpose it would be really helpful to:

When importing a .jpeg or a .png file into a document, by clicking on the .png or .jpeg with the arboard tool, instead of creating a generic name, the artboard tool should "take" the name of the file automatically.

When working with hundreds of small assets, it is very painful having to rename every single file in order to batch export them.

Very helpful in, mobile, web…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. New document without symbols, brushes, graphic styles

New documents are pre-filled with unwanted symbols, brushes and graphic styles that bloat the documents. I always have to go in and delete these to keep file size down, especially when saving as EPS for logos, etc.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Align to...BUTTON

In a past version of AI, the "align to artboard or selection" was a button rather than a menu. Please bring back the button! I switch between these two options hundreds of times a week and the menu wastes time that adds up.

Thanks so much always!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Simplify the selection of Artboards Tools & Guide

Considering that to select, modify or apply the Guides inside an artboard you have to select "of course!" the artboards tool or press (Shift + O) not simply reachable "with one hand"
    I ask:

1. Wouldn't it be possible to select the artboard with Double Click on the artboard? or Ctrl + click?
      A simpler thing.

2. Why do the rails have to extend "by force" on the whole assembly table ?? WOULD IT NO LONGER be right that the guides each remained in their own drawing board? If I have neighboring tables by drawing a guide in table 1, the guide…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Document Color Mode - add option of Grayscale

I need to make a lot of documents that must print in one color. I truly wish Illustrator offered a Document Color Mode of Grayscale - that mode would prevent use of color in any object created in ai, and would convert anything Placed, imported, or otherwise part of the document as Grayscale. It would also be good to have an "Open As" Grayscale option...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Don't automatically lock new template layers

It would be useful when creating a new template layer it did not immediately become locked. Usually, I would want to put items on this layer like notes or reference marks, but unlocking the layer seems like an unnecessary step for a layer that has just been created.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Please add Artboards, Show, Hide and Lock. The same way layers can. for people laying out complex layouts in illustrator.

Artboards: Show, Hide and Lock. The same way layers can. for people laying out complex layouts in illustrator. I do complex murals and Vehicle Wraps and I tile out my Artboards manually. some times I adjust the Artboards but I don't want to delete prior ones as they may be a reference for measurements else where but the clutter up and confuse others. being able to show hide and Lock the art boards would be very helpful.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. "show images in outline mode" doesn't work (Document Setup)

Image doesn't show when option is on. It used to a while ago...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. alt click or click to create artboard and open artboard dimensions

Alt Click in artboard work space to set location AND open an artboard dimensions dialog box. At present we have to draw an artboard and then go edit the dimensions. Currently its 2 clicks and a couple of drags, instead of just one click with the proposal above.

Also most other tools have "Alt Click" features enabled, think "square" "rotate" "scale". etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Export .BMP on various artboards.

When will it be possible to export more than one image of the same artwork on different artboards in the .bmp?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Repeat grid option

I believe that in Adobe's software like Adobe xd, we can also have a Repeat Grid option which will work fast as the brochure and all other.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Drop new artboard where you want it

In previous versions of AI, you could choose where you wanted to drop a new artboard. Now it just dumps it in the middle of the screen. This is problematic because when you go to drag it to a new location, it often grabs items from existing artboards and drags them along with it. I have no idea why you changed this feature, but it is a daily frustration. And judging from the forums, I'm not the only one that hates it!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Adding Pages/Sheets like in Excel for better organization of large jobs

Adding Pages/Sheets like in Excel for better organization of large jobs. I work at a sign company and frequently come across large jobs that I would like to keep organized.

For example let's use a job I am on right now. It is a job for hospital signage. Over 500 signs in total and let's say 15 departments. Some departments have upto 20 signs. While artboards work well in this instance it would be nice if I could have the option to organize the departments with "sheets" instead of individual files. My reasoning behind this is when I have to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Make artboard position(x and y) default values an integer not a float

Basically, whenever I export something like an image setting my artboards width and height as a whole number, depending on where the artboard is positioned at a decimal value i.e(x: 1200.232 y:200.623). There is a bug where it will export the image with an extra pixel. So if I've set the width to be 1000 pixels and the height to 400 pixels, for example, it will export this as 1001 x 401 pixels. To fix this problem, I have to always make sure the artboards are positioned at x: 1200 y:200, deleting the decimal values.

Unless of course, the bug…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. A 3D presentation of layers and of artboards would deconstruct the fusion of all those into one 2D screen. Gaming software does iit.

A 3D presentation of various containers (artboards, layers, groups) would show the composition of the various containers into what is currently a 2D screen. Gaming software does it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. OPTION CONFIGURE DECIMALS

It would be nice to be able to configure the number of decimals we want to work with in Adobe Illustrator. There is a total inconsistency in the number of decimals that Illustrator currently works with, since the artboards have 2 decimals, the object transformation before version 24.1 had 3 decimals, after 24.1 4 decimals, etc. It is very uncomfortable to work with such a variety of decimals, it is also not accurate.

It would improve the workflow and accuracy by being able to manually configure the decimals we want to work with.

Hope that helps. ;)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allowance to change the keyboard shortcuts for Previous Artboard and Next Artboard

I have all of my keyboard shortcuts set to the left side of the keyboard, since I draw right-handed and keep my left hand on that side of the keys. In my animation workflow, I like to scrub back and forth quickly between artboards, but I do not like the current LOCKED shortcuts for going back and forth through them:

Previous Artboard (Currently locked to Shift-PgUp)
    Next Artboard (Currently locked to Shift-PgDn)
    First Artboard (Currently locked to Ctrl-Shift-PgUp)
    Last Artboard (Currently locked to Ctrl-Shift-PgDn)

There is currently no listing for them in the keyboard shortcuts menu, so they cannot be…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base