Illustrator Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. create artboards to CENTER of stroke pleasssseee!

if i create a box with a fill and stroke, use (shift O) for artboard tool, i double click my box and a new artboard is created. when i double click my shape with the artboard tool, it creates an artboard around the stroke width and not the actual bounding box or CENTER of the stroke. i believe illustrator used to preform this operation correctly in the past.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Remove canvas size limit

Can we please have the possibility to set bigger canvas size to incorporate large sized artwork.

(Please note: This item is NOT for more number of artboards per document)

628 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

419 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Need More Info  ·  Yogesh Sharma responded

It will help if you can tell us about your workflow while you vote on this bug.

Would it help if there was a “virtual scale”? Say, if you could define a scale of 1:10 so that input fields accept bigger values, and exported files are at scaled size (10x in this case)?

Thanks,
    Yogesh

4. Ability to duplicate artboards with Cmd+D

It would be nice if once you alt+drag an artboard in order to make a copy, you can keep duplicating the artboard with the same displacement, just pressing Cmd+D.

As it happens when you do it with a form or an image.

Thanks!!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow some Layers to be global rather than all locked to Artboards

With the new Artboard-specific Layers all artwork is now locked to a layer.

This removes the ability to have artwork which spans Artboards.

We frequently need to provide individual artboards for production based on segments of a larger piece of artwork. (For example individual PDFs for each panel of a large tradeshow stand).

This doesn't appear possible with the new feature.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Keyboard shortcuts for align/distribute.

I miss having keyboard shortcuts for align/distribute from my CorelDraw days. I'm a pro designer in a fast turnaround environment, and keyboard shortcuts are essential to my workflow.

As far as I know, the numeric keypad isn't being used in Illustrator. My proposal is: Pressing 0 toggles between absolute to the artboard or relative to last item selected. Pressing 2, 4, 5, 6, 8 will perform the align .2 = bottom, 4 = left, 5 = centre, 6 = right, 8 = top. Additionally 7 = distribute horizontal, 9 = distribute vertical.

Also, please copy the CorelDraw keyboard shortcut Tab…

106 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

54 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Make it so guides do not count as part of the project

Make it so guides do not count as part of the project so you get correct measurements when selecting all.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Make it so guides do not count as anything when copying/pasting

Make it so guides do not count as anything when copying/pasting. They stop you from placing objects at times.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. The Illustrator Toolbox should be able to display in a one-row horizontal position, like the InDesign Toolbox can

Double-clicking the double-arrows on the upper-right corner of the Tool box will change the orientation from one-row-of-tools-vertically arranged, to two-rows-vertically arranged. InDesign does this as well, with the addition of a third way, one-row-of-tools arranged horizontally. This is by far the most useful way in my opinion and I really wish Illustrator and perhaps Photoshop too, had the same option.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. export for. screens + variable to append file name

export for. screens -- I want to insert variable to append AI file name so I do not have manually type file name for each canvas exported when creating icons or illustrations

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. active artboard

When we work on multiple artboards, it will be good to recognize the artboard who is used when I select a object or I click on a artboard and to active it.
    So when I select all elements in my document, with the keyboard shorcut, all of the objects of my active artboard will be selected. Or if I select an object every where, the artboard containing this object will be activated automatically.
    often, i select all objects on my first arboard but he's not active and when I paste in place in an other artboard of an other document,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. enable ruler opacity. some times it get too hard to see through thin lines in my art work

opacity dont work on ruler so most of the times i dont get to see what behind the ruler.if you enable ruler to work with opacity then it will be much easier to see whats behind ruler line.thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Rearrange expanded layers without collapsing

When a layer has sublayers and/or it is expanded, it is currently impossible to drag a new layer below the expanded layer without collapsing it because the new layer is automatically made a sublayer of that expanded layer. The opposite works - new layers can be placed above even when not collapsed. Being able to see desired sublayers or content and arrange in both directions would be ideal.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Exclude single object or layer from moving with artboard

It would be great to exclude a layer or single object even with "move locked and hidden artwork with artboard" enabled. This allows for a more flexible approach when dragging artboards with and without artwork.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. advance presentation mode to something cool like what we see in Prezzi with object animation abilities. bring view concept inside artboards

advance presentation mode to something cool like what we see in Prezzi with object animation abilities. bring view concept inside artboards and interactivities for objects inside illustrator.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Please add Page Numbering on artboards. Thanks.

Please add "Insert Page Number" Feature on multiple artboards. Because we need it so much. Thank you.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Alignment options

Hello,

I find it frustration to have to switch between the different alignment options. For instance when I have one object selected and I use the alignment-tool I want it aligned to the artboard. But when I have two or more objects selected I'd like to have them aligned to the selection.

Right now I have to switch between alignment methods in the alignment window. I would love to see this implemented by default, like Sketch has!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Import artboards into InDesign from Illustrator and vice versa.

Requestiog a function for importing artboards from InDesign to Illustrator and vice versa into Master Boards

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Remove the default 72 PPI resolution

There is NO device on Earth (except in museums) that have 72 PPI screen.
    However, EVERY new screen-intended document created today in Illustrator and Photoshop STILL made with only 72 PPI by default.

With this laughable resolution, all raster effects are rendered, looking just bad on any screen.

Since 72 PPI is the actual World Standard, it confuses many Adobe users and it has to be changed for good.

Today's computer screens have at the very least 120 PPI, but the phones for which many projects are created have a way higher pixel density of 450 PPI and more. The…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. wrap art for artboards to create seamless art tile textures

the same way in photoshop one can simulate art wrap with the image offset filter

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base