Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

482 results found

1. not grayscale color as default, or set other color setting as a default

I know that you can change the color mode in color window. But it's really pain in the *ss to do it every time I create a new document.
    and the idea setting grayscale as a default for every document with every color mode is ridicolous . (why Illustrator not changing it since it's way too inconvinient)
    Idk the history of Illustrator etc. and I won't be bothered by it, I just want to have an option to change the default color setting. that's it.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Adobe Illustrator UXP integration timeline

For extension developers currently working with the CEP / HTML Panels, there is a concern and anticipation for an expected time frame for the Unified Extensions Platform (UXP) to make its debut among the remainder of the creative cloud applications such as Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.

It would be beneficial for many, those looking to develop new extensions, and those looking to port existing extensions to the UXP platform, if an official timeline was to be made publicly available regarding Adobes future plans / roadmap for the unified extensibility platform in relation to Creative Cloud applications other than Adobe…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Scale strokes and effects, hotkey while dragging.

When using the scale tool, and clicking and dragging, there should be a hotkey that toggles 'scale strokes and effects'. It would be helpful to show this hotkey option as a tooltip that appears near the mouse cursor while dragging.

All too often I will have to undo, then go into the transform panel or the preferences to check or uncheck the box, then go back and scale the object again.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Fit a symbol on multiple 3D objects at once

Would love that a symbol could fit on MULTIPLE objects at once, like here the bottom petal to have its symbol continue on the left one.

And I would love if I could, from the decals box, get a ctrl/right click option to duplicate one symbol. So far, I need to add it from the symbol panel again which will reset its position to the center of the object.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Shortcut/button for the "Enter isolation mode"-function

After Illustrator changed the place where to put pasted objects (before the objects where put in the selected layer, now the objects are put in a new layer at the top), I use the "Enter Isolations mode"-function a lot, to get the pasted objects the right place. I know there is a button, but it doesn't always show. So I would really like a shortcut for this function. Or make a button in the properties panel. Or both. Please.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Isolation  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Disabling 'Paste Remembers Layers' in the Layers panel’s flyout menu solved the problem with pasting in place into a selected layer, therefore a specialized hotkey to the layer isolation is no longer required for the user.

If you still need this hotkey — please comment.

6. New improved search and Help (Discover) in Illustrator

Announcing a completely new search and help experience in Illustrator. The new 'Discover' feature allows you to search for help, tools, hands-on tutorials, and articles within the Illustrator app. You can use the Discover panel search bar to access the full repository of tools, in-app tutorials, and articles, to help you build your skills. Search offers auto-complete suggestions including suggested content, tool shortcuts, and quick links. You can invoke help using the search icon on the top right corner or through the Help menu.
    We are also bringing New Rich Tool Tips into Illustrator which allow you to quickly learn…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Combine all Thumbnail Preview Options

There are multiple ways to remove thumbnail previews on the Layers, Appearance and Links palettes and these have to be set on every file.

As a huge drag on screen redraw performance, these should be a single option / button accessible without going into the prefs panel.

Perhaps with an opt-out tick box per palette to fine tune. For example: Users could have thumbs persist on the layers palette, while the others toggle on a button.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. The ability to set a line length, no matter what angle the line is on.

It would be great if there was a section in the transform panel where you could enter a length for a line (instead of setting a height and width for the bounding box).

This way it would not matter what angle the line was draw at, it could be set to a specific length.

I've currently been drawing a vertical line, setting a height and then rotating to the correct angle but it is very tedious!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Make the option 'Select and unlock objects on canvas' available for default!!

I love when this option was available in some version of Illustrator but magically disappear in one update, I thought that you discard this option, but if I wasn't here I never realize that I have to enable manually this option on the Preferences panel.

I was angry because it was available on InDesign but not in Illustrator, fortunately I research a little and found the response to one request like mine in this section.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Selection  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Rename Anchor Points

Say you want to apply the 3D (Classic) Rotate effect to a complex illustration but you have a rogue anchor point that causes this message: An unknown error occurred. Click MORE INFO and try some of the solutions to fix the issues.

It has taken me many hours to figure out that a single anchor point (that is neither part of a shape or a path) is the most-likely cause of this error message. I work very clean, but rogue anchor points happen occasionally and it's incredibly frustrating to find.

The solution is to search through all your objects and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Layers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. show illustrator,photoshop on mutiple screens panels on one screen workspace on another

show illustrator,photoshop on mutiple screens panels on one screen workspace on another for windows 10

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Improve resolution of dock panels so they're the same as other Adobe apps

The resolution of the dock panels (Layers, Art boards, Character etc) are all a lot bigger than in other Adobe apps, please make these the same size as the other apps.
    I have a second screen with all relevant dock panels opened. If they were the same resolution as PS/ID then more could fit on the screen.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Radial interface (popup) for previewing ALL THE SWATCHES.... S I M U L T A N E O U S L Y.

If a user wants to preview ALL the swatches in the swatch library at once, the time and sequence of events to do so is extremely unnecessarily tedious.

"Preview all swatches" button -> BAM: radial view of all swatches on screen. (doesn't even have to be legible. text can be upside down. Maybe rotate it with the mouse wheel. Click one swatch set -> then Bam! That's the swatch docked to the panel. All the others dissapear. or "Unsummon the swatches" button.

"Smithers Release the hounds"

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Enhance Miter limits on type inner strokes

There are a few mentions of "miter" you might get interested in.

One that I regularly had to deal with was Miter Limit for typefaces (as applied in appearance panel).

Could there be a way to have a miter limit applied only to the outside paths of the letter and not to the counterparts ? (like the holes in e, a, o…)

The second page of this thread shows nice ways to play with that too:
    https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/ai-2020-stroke-path-won-t-do-anything/m-p/10802353#M158393

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Show Contentpreview in hidden layers

When you hide a layer, the contentpreview in the little square in the Layers Panel is hidden. Finding a specific layer is terrible when it’s hidden (you only see the layers name).

That makes absolutely no sense to me and has no benefit that I can think of, to the contrary.

Please make it at least an option, or just make the Layerpreview always visible. I can see that it’s hidden when I see the eye canceled on the right, no need for more indication that its hidden.

Thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Asset Export Incorrectly Clipping

If you create a filled rounded rectangle with a 1 pt border, add it to the Asset Export panel and export, the end result is noticeably clipped. Even though the shape may be aligned to be pixel perfect and the stroke aligned so that it should be inside, the output shows the frame is now non uniform in terms of stroke width.

If you didn't use stroke, you probably won't notice the inaccuracy.

See the attached image and the edges are clearly truncated.

Says there are some fundamental alignment issues that need to be addressed.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add CSS color styling option to OpenType-SVG specification, so font colors may be altered in Illustrator

Currently, OpenType-SVG color fonts come with pre-defined colors.

To provide glyphs in different shades, additional stylistic sets need to be added to the font, bloating it tremendously.

I propose to add the ability to OpenType-SVG to have certain colors of a glyph being overwritten by the application (e.g. Illustrator), so text colors can be applied to a range of glyphs just like it's done with standard monochrome glyphs.

To do so, OpenType-SVG should be able to export a set of color reference names, referenced within the glyph's SVG. An application may then assign alternate colors to those color references, so…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Unless I'm missing something, please export graphics to the exact same dimensions they were designed to be. Do not add arbitary padding.

In all good conscience I feel like I absolutely have to be missing something here. But time and time again, upon exporting some UI graphics from AI, they turn out to be wider and taller than they were designed to be. Is this padding arbitrary? How was it even determined that these pixels would be added to the exported assets? Am I truly missing something?

I mocked something up in XD, but after creating a few UI elements it was apparent that XD is nowhere near up to the task for making full-fledged graphics. No biggie, I was a little…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Preview brushes like I can in Photoshop

In Photoshop, when I open brushes, I can see a preview of all my brushes. In Illustrator, if I want to use any brushes, I have to first load a library based on the name of the library. I have dozens of libraries, and often they all have similar-sounding names. Not only is it frustrating to open the same couple of libraries EVERY TIME I open Illustrator, but I have tons of brushes I probably never use because I don't want to individually load 50 different libraries just so I can find a brush that looks like what I need.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Brushes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Ability to see the size of elements in terms of KB/MB to easily find cause of file bloat

When trying to strip down a file, it would be really useful to be able to see which effects in particular are bloating the file. For example - I had a file with a load of boxes with a glow effect applied to them. I thought I had undone all of this but the size of the file was still over 40mb. I had to dig through all the boxes again in the appearence panel to see that there were two instances of a rasterize effect that i'd missed. when i deleted those the file size went down by over…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base