Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

482 results found

1. Rename Unembed to Unembed All when several images are selected

A command in the Links panel’s flyout menu allows us to Unembed an image, when it’s selected.
    It’d be great if the name of the command change into 'Unembed All...' when several embedded images are selected.

Also mentioned here: https://x.com/DTP_Transit/status/1742338384302149796?s=20

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. CC Library Colour Applications

Currently I can't find a way to select a library colour from the swatch menus.

You can't use an eyedropper on cc library colours are not available from the swatches panel.

It seems that we have to add the colours as a swatch first.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Share for Review Proof Approval

Adding functionality for "Proof Approval" would be huge! And would allow the process to remain within Adobe as opposed to having to go outside Adobe products. Turning on this functionality when needed, allowing for proof to be sent that can be officially approved within AI that:

a. Doesn't allow the user the ability to download the PDF and steal the artwork.

b. Sends confirmation that the Proof was Approved or Not Approved with feedback. This can help streamline the approval process ensuring everyone is aware when a proof is sent, and status changes (Pending, Approved, Not Approved, etc.).

c. Saves…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Top toolbar should display true length and width of shapes, not the "properties" of the shape.

It's very confusing when you reference the top toolbar to see the length and width of a shape only to realize the values are completely wrong. This is because the top toolbar displays the "properties" of a shape for whatever reason. The length of an object should always be the longest horizontal measurement, and the height should always be the longest vertical measurement, regardless of rotation. Despite not displaying true length and width, the toolbar uses symbols which clearly indicate length and width: a double ended horizontal arrow first, then a double ended vertical arrow second. Unless a user clicks…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Artboards workflow could do with some streamlining.

So artboards in AI have been around for a while now, but the current workflow is pretty limited and at times frustrating.

There are 2 really big things that could do with improvement.

1 - The biggest issue I have is that there is no keyboard shortcuts to make a new artboard.

Why do I have to move my mouse over to the artboard panel and click the add artboard button.

This is way to long winded every time you want to add a new artbaord.

2 - When adding a new artboard it does not conform to the column…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. More options to adjust UI scaling

Yesterday I downloaded Illustrator (26.0.2) for the first time. But the small User Interface stops me from using the product. The text is so tiny, especially in Properties and Layers panels. For me the possibility of a larger text is important. If there is no option for enlarging, I stop using the product. But I really want to use Illustrator and to create beautiful things.

I tried to fix the issue with Edit > Preferences > User Interface < Adjust the UI Scaling slider. But the changes are insignificant on the highest possible value. I think the UI Scaling…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Pattern making

I want a feature in the pattern making panel. When I make a pattern I often duplicate a graphic and change something, maybe color, in the area where you make the graphics that shall be repeated. After duplicated I move it to the place where it is repeated. Then I can change color of one of the graphics for example, and these both graphics are now repeated. The problems is that when I move the graphic I kind of eyeball the placement of it. I would want to be more exact and quicker with it. I don't know what…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Nodal Interface for Actions Creation

Similar to 3DCC software and video compositing software, I would like to see a nodal interface where we could add different menu items and specific actions into a tree and have them end in an output node, allowing reuse of specific actions and menu items within the tree in a single action.

I'd also recommend there to be a way to group some of the nodes and be reusable/ able to add them into other action node trees as subgroups. That way some very complicated actions could be recycled instead of always being recreated from scratch.

I have been making…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Type number of sides for polygon tool and star tool

Currently to get a number of points on a star you have to type the [up key] or [down key] But often I know what number of points or sides I want on the polygon or star.

I'd like the ability to type the number of sides/points.

This could be achieved in a number of ways:
    - An option panel (could change it after the fact as long as it is selected as long as the points haven't been moved?)
    - hold and drag and type the number (say 3, 6, 9, etc)
    - double click on the polygon/star icon…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Layer clipping mask (a bit like a paste-inside on steroids!)

I'd like to be able to convert a shape into a layer clipping mask which would then allow sub-layers to be created/converted so that they only remain visible within in the shape's boundary and would subsequently honour any sub-layer effects applied therein.

Why?

Well at the moment I have to expand any paths with effects applied to layers so that any effect is captured inside the clipping mask. This results in a destructive edit to my artwork and file duplication so that I can revert to the previous editable state when I need to make any changes.

Background:
    I regularly…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Stroked Object Transform Bug Constrain Error Adobe Illustrator CC 2017-2018

When using the transform panel to resize an object or multiple objects, it goes without saying if you select constrain, there should be confidence it will scale respectively. A circle remains a circle, a square a square, a 16:9 Graphic stays 16:9 etc. etc.

Unfortunately I have noticed a very concerning bug where if one of the objects has a stroke, it will not transform constrained. I noticed because the object I grabbed had a perfect circle, that seems maybe 5% horizontally compressed afterward.

I have done this screencast to show the bug does not occur on non-stroked objects- only…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Live effects

I hate drawing comparisons between applications because I believe it's utterly unfair in most cases. This is not one of those cases. I believe wholeheartedly that we've reached a stage of computing where we can get rid of the "Preview" button in the effects panels. Let's do it. I've not seen a solid step forward in how effects are created, previewed, edited, and handled since I began using Adobe apps in CS4. Affinity is doing this. And it's buttery smooth. And I'm both jealous and confused that Adobe doesn't have this. It's the sort of thing that you remain…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Command Line

As a frequent user of a diversity of software (like AutoCAD, SketchUp and so on), I noticed that Illustrator is very time demanding and the workflow isn't great. Sometimes to do a simple command I need to click 4 times throughout menus and windows (actually I already have tendinitis because of the need to keep repeating a lot of clicks to do a simple command in IL, as other software I don't have the same problem).
    So a command line (a simple and smart one like AutoCAD) will be great and will improve the time to create stuff in illustrator.…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Blending Modes and Transparencies in Search / Filter in Layers

Could you consider incorporating Blending Modes or transparencies as additional filters in the Layers panel's new search feature, which is currently assisting us in sorting by images, text, and more?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Layers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Transform Coordinates - "Copy" and "Paste" buttons with specific order

We need the possibility of copying the X/Y/Angle/W/H/Shear parameters when selecting a Source shape and paste them in the Transform panel when selecting the Destination shape.
    I recommend always angle is first when pasting, before X/Y/W/H/Shear.
    It is quite strange that since all of these CC iterations, this has never been covered. It is quite awqward to introduce numbers and many decimals by hand and not having a possibility to do it quickly.

Thanks for the consideration!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Preference setting for a common "root" folder for add-on files

It would be great if the Illustrator Preferences had a way to specify a central root folder for the location of (and default save location) for add-ons, such as Brushes, Graphic styles, Swatches Templates, and others. (Similar to the existing "Additional Plug-ins Folder" setting).

Illustrator currently seems to have very scatterbrained way of handling files, which I am sure there is some history or reason for, depending on the team that happened to develop that section of code.

Examples:

If you save Brush, Symbol, Graphic Styles, ..., libraries, when it defaults to want to save under a long winding path,…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Opentype + Glyphs UI Menu Preview

While the UI for Opentype is appreciably better than Indesign, there are still a few hinderances in the UI that make it painfully difficult to use and limits functionality. This could solved in one (hopefully easy) solution: PREVIEW TYPOGRAPHIC FEATURES

THE PROBLEM:
    Currently, you have to click the stylistic set to open a dropdown menu, once you’ve clicked a style, the dropdown disappears. To see another style you need to open the dropdown menu again and deselect the previous style you just selected. Open the dropdown menu again, and then select the next style.

THE SOLUTION:
    Opentype and Glyphs panel

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Artboard Mod

IDK anything, just learning tried multiple products so far AI is the only one I have accomplished anything in. My current issue may just be just be user error due to the lack of knowledge and experience. So I am designing new dash panels for an antique kenworth truck. The panels are flat with lots of round holes I have the old panels and have been taking measurements from them but I have experienced 2 problems #1 is that AI measures from the edge of the art board. #2 I cant seem use the edge of the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Sticky swatches, patterns, gradients, brushes and symbols.

I get so very tired of having to re-create what I've made or added earlier, or find the original file that contains things I've created earlier. It's starting from zero every time I open a new file.

It would be so nice to have things I added to panels be there for the next file.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There are several options to make resources sticky.

1. Save your swatches/brushes/etc. library as user defined one on a disk, using the dedicated panel’s menu. Open each then from same menu in User Defined sub-folder. When the separate palette appears, mark is as Persistent in this panel’s menu, This will make these palettes stick after Illustrator relaunches.

2. You can locate document profiles (Print.ai, Web.ai, etc.) on your machine (in New Document Profiles folder), edit their predefined presets, and resave them. This will make every new document based on these profile to have your resources.

3. Save a current document with the resources as a template, and later call them File > New from template. This will fixate the artboards settings though, unlike method 2.

But be careful with methods, because Ai can reset document profiles when updates.

20. workspace layout seems to constantly change over time. Keep it more fluent and natural

I can arrange workspaces, rearrange them, add new ones, remove some and so on and on and on. My issue is that somehow, the tools and panels I want are never at hand when I need them.

It's so subtle that I can't put my finger on the exact issue. But it's suddenly occured to me that as far as I can remember, I'm always rearranging the workspace layout in Illustrator to get the tools I need, but I don't have this issue in other Adobe apps. I've been using Illustrator as my core graphic design tool for around…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User Interface  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base