Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

365 results found

1. Implement quick filter in Layers panel

On large documents designers very often give names to objects in document structure for improve navigation in structure. But now there are no way to quickly find object by name in document, except custom scripts.

For solve this problem please implement quick filter input field in Layers panel interface, for quickly search objects by part of his name (like filter in Fonts list).

Even if designer don't add names, via this filter we will can quick find all curves, all rectangles, all circles, all curves, all guides, etc, so it will be very useful.

81 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

18 comments  ·  Layers  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Everyone,

This functionality is available in our latest release build – 27.6.1. 

The new functionality allows searching layers by name using the searchbar in the layers panel. The users can also apply filters based on layer properties (locked, hidden etc) or objects properties (effects, text etc.). This will help to quickly find layers/objects for large documents (having multiple layers).

Read more about this - https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/whats-new/2023-5.html#search-and-filter

Thank you for all the feedback.

2. Blending Modes and Transparencies in Search / Filter in Layers

Could you consider incorporating Blending Modes or transparencies as additional filters in the Layers panel's new search feature, which is currently assisting us in sorting by images, text, and more?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Layers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Artboard-specific Layers

When working with multiple artboards, it would be very helpful to have artboard-specific layers displayed on the Layers panel as opposed to one long blob of all layers from all artboards.

72 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Layers in Touch Interface

The touch interface should have layers.

94 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Delete unused empty layers

Would love to have the possibility to delete unused layers in Illustrator (like you can delete unused colors very quickly).

e.g. when you have 100 layers and only 10 layers have objects on them, but you don't want to delete every layer manually

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Layers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Recolor multiple layers panel layers at the same time

In Photoshop, you can select multiple layers, and add a color marker at the same time to all of them. I often use the colors of layers in Illustrator for UI and packaging design to separate visually which layers are finished (green), and which ones I still need to work on (red). But I have to double click each layer one by one in order to change the color.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Yep, there is a way to change the color of edges for a selection of layers — 'Options for Selection' command in the Layers panel’s flyout menu.

But perhaps the original poster meant colored backgrounds to mark layers? Like Photoshop allows to and like we can do with actions in button mode?

If yes — please make a separate request about this.

7. Add an option to hide the Search/Filter field in Layers

Search/Filter is cool, but some prefer to not have it.
    Other panels allow to choose components: we can pick sections to display in the Character panel, we can show or hide the search field in Swatches, etc.

However, the panel does not have such an option in its flyout menu.
    Please add one!

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Delete Hidden Layers command - Inappropriately named?

The latest version of Illustrator (25.3) introduces a new command in the flyout menu of the Layers palette. It is called Delete Hidden Layers.

It's a useful command, but it also deletes hidden groups and objects inside visible layers and visible groups as well. These are not what most Illustrator users would describe as 'Layers' and thus the naming of this command may cause a lot of trouble.

There should perhaps be at least two or three different commands: Delete Hidden Layers and Delete Hidden Objects and Delete All Hidden Items.

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Layers Panel: Layers Name Available Width

I like my Layers Panel thumbnails to be large, like really large, larger than 'Large' for sure, so that i can easily see what's going on. I also like to name my layers briefly but accurately for the same reason. I don't have a big, wide screen however, so for me every tiny width saving matters. And here i come to the thing that infuriates me: why does Illustrator already trim layers names when there is still plenty room for them to be displayed in full?

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Copy parts from multiple layers into multiple layers

I work with a lot of parts that I need to keep separated for output. A simple example is a complex, compound shape with 20 elements. I have 10 on a "cut" layer and 10 on a "print" layer. If I copy and paste them, I can only paste them into one layer. I might want them to go back into the same layers or into 2 new layers. I never want them in the same layer. I now have to go in and separate them all into the proper layers.

This is important because the layers tell…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You can enable Paste Remembers Layers in the panel’s menu to make Illustrator remember layers your objects were copied from and insert them on layers with same name when pasted. If these layers don’t exist, Illustrator will create them. Be careful and disable it when not needed, if might make a mess when not needed. Also note that with this option enable everything copied from an isolation mode creates a separate 'Isolation mode' layer, which is stupid — vote here if you think this should be addressed: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/37935496-paste-remembers-layers-bug-with-isolation-mode
  11. Mark layers/sublayers in the layers panel

We used to be able to easily tell layers and other containers apart in the Layers panel. Layers/sublayers were marked with a darker or lighter background in the Layers panel.
    This is important for several functionality that can be applied to groups but not layers and vice versa. Particularly when you deal with complex artwork such as puppets for Character Animator, but not limited to them. And you need it when analyzing other peoples' files.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Paste in multiple (all / selected) layers

I'd like to paste on multiple layers simultaneously - e.g. copy something, select certain layers, Ctrl + Alt + V pastes it on all selected layers -> that would be helpful for multi-language files.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Layers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add Folders in Layers panel

Given that Photoshop can group layers into folders, Illustrator should have the same capacity to bring the experience closer together.

It would allow for greater flexibility when editing artwork.

80 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Layers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Can we rename multiple layers in one go?

For example, we select 10 different layers, we right click and select "rename layer(s)" and then a prompt comes up where we type the name we want to assign to all the selected layers.

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Moving Artboards and Locked Layers

The latest CC updates' new feature allows locked/hidden layers to move when you move an artboard. This doesn't make sense since locked should mean locked. I am running into problems now because my company uses a lot of artboards to make print-production files, and sometimes you need to re-arrange the artboards while working on the file.
    There should be a way to turn this feature on or off. Such as "keep locked/hidden layers locked when moving/duplicating artboards, or allow locked and hidden elements to move when artboard moves"

77 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

16. easier way to unlock layers

I, like most people, work with layers. Sometimes those layers are 5, sometimes closer to 100. Thing is, I don't want to have to scroll through 100 layers to find the 1 locked layer I want to unlock. It would be great if I could just right-click on it, then go through a 2-step process to unlock the layer. At the very least, if I double-click on said locked layer, I wish to be shown immediately in the Layers panel where that layer is.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In latest versions you can enable ’Select and Unlock objects on canvas ’ option in Preferences > Selection & Anchor Display section.
    This will draw a small lock marker for those objects that are locked in your selection (they won’t be a part of selection box though) — click it to unlock an object.
    Please try it and comment back about if it works for you.

17. Support layers in patterns

I want to be able to make patterns in layers. So if I use layers when I make a pattern, then I get a pattern that is editable in layers. It would save much time if you want to make variations.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Password protect in layers

I am looking for an option in the Adobe Illustrator to have the layers locked with a password. so i can send the source file to the other users only to modify what they have to and not touch my content.

40 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Delete hidden layers

Would it be great if add the option of deleting all hidden layers as in photoshop..

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    There is a command in the Layers panel’s menu, called Delete Hidden Layers... Unfortunately, it deletes not only hidden layers, but also all hidden content. There is a separate request to rename the comment or add another, to distinct two operations: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/43634643-delete-hidden-layers-command-innapropriately-nam Please vote. Also, there is another request to delete unused/empty layers: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/40696027-delete-unused-layers
  20. Release to Layers should inherit custom names from original objects

When I Release to Layers, all of the objects within that layer are renamed to "Layer 1, Layer 2, Layer 3" etc. and I'd love to be able to have the new layers be named the same as when they were objects.

43 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Layers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
  • Don't see your idea?