When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Option to export to clipping mask boundaries

When exporting assets to raster formats, it would be a huge time saver if we had an option to use the boundaries of clipping masks as the edge of the exported artwork. I created three triangles and used a circle as a clipping mask in the attached image. You can see that the exported file has a lot of padding around the artwork because the outer edges of the triangles are used as the boundaries of the file.

If there was an additional option to use the clipping mask boundary as the edge of the exported raster file, it would…

411 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

168 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow gradient swatches to be added to CC library

It's great to have colors in the cc library but why can't those colors be gradients too? Please allow us to add gradient swatches to the cc library. Thanks

381 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  95 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make Illustrator multi threaded on CPU

Illustrator performance is awful, its slow and lumbering at all but the most basic operations. It is bound to only a single cpu thread which is ridiculous now in an age of multi core and multi thread CPU's and it has been this way for many years. It cannot handle background tasks and is completely out of parity in function and performance with other Adobe software such as photoshop and inDesign.

381 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  84 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Color picker

Can you make the color picker have an eyedrop tool that can select any color on the screen when you double click the swatch. Similar to Photoshop. Also have the default in any way you reach a color picker be hexidecimal so it is easier to copy and paste the color to other programs, etc. It defaults in this section, but I cannot select any color on the board while this is open.

90 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  10 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Wrong png size if artboard coordinates in float

AI 21.1.0 macOS.

In attached AI file there are 1 artboard if you just export it for Screens you will get an image size 105px × 104px, however in AI it's sized as 104x104px.
    Check that X coordinate of artboard is 172.34 px, so it's float. Just change it to 172px and re-publish and image will be 104x104.

So, coordinates of artboard should affect into output png image.

ALso, should be related too:
    https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/20530969-export-for-screens-adds-extra-pixels-at-to-exports

62 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

60 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

If you will export artboards in any fractional scale or by specifying height and width you will get correct output.

The best way to not get an extra pixel is keep your artboard coordinates in integers. You can achieve that by changing the reference point of artboard to top left and typing in the nearest integer or do Make Pixel Perfect(Object > Make Pixel Perfect). If size of your artboard is increased please manage that accordingly and export.

Thanks & Regards
    Nitish Agarwal
    Illustrator Team

6. Links 'Reveal in Finder' function as InDesign

Add an extra Links panel function under or above 'Reveal in Bridge' called maybe 'Reveal in Finder', as already exists in InDesign.

53 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  7 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Offset path

Would like to see option to always have preview on. Also arrow controls for incremental measurement changes (as in transform) . These are available in many other parts of the interface.

This would speed up the process of creating an offset path.

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  2 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Make the Align Objects Contextual

Make the Align Objects functionality more closely resemble After Effects insofar as when you select 1element Align To Selection automatically sets to Composition and when two or more elements are selected Align To Selection is automatically selected. This 'Align Auto-selection' could be a preference.

If this isn't possible or sensible at least make the two options (Selection and Composition) both visible or bigger and not in a dropdown.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  7 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Creative Cloud Files appear in Library Panel in Illustrator

Currently folders and files in the Creative Cloud Files folder are local and synchronise with the cloud. They are visible on the website but are separate from Creative Cloud Libraries that we use inside Illustrator. It’s tantalisingly close to being an awesome feature, yet…

Please join them up! Make creative cloud files visible in the libraries panel in Illustrator, and vice versa; and make the libraries available locally.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  3 comments  ·  Creative Cloud Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  16 comments  ·  Creative Cloud Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. AltGr key not working

AltGr key does not work as intended, it currently only produces a Ctrl+Alt keypress. On many European keyboard layouts it is used to type e.g. characters @, [, {, |, \, ~, and currency symbols (€, $, £). The only way to circumvent this is to use e.g. Notepad to type in the characters and copy-pasting them, which is a nuisance. All the other Adobe CC apps - just as basically every other Windows app in the world - use AltGr as intended, so why does not Illustrator?

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

AltGr is supposed to be equivalent to Alt + ctrl.
    At present, when we press e.g. AltGr + E while writing text, we check if any command can handle it and if yes it is not passed to application to handle key event. That’s why existing commands are triggered on those extended char shortcuts.

If we want to change the behavior that while writing text key shortcuts (e.g. AltGr + E) should write extended character, Then we will have to sacrifice all the text contextual shortcuts we have at present in app e.g. ctrl + alt + I does something. All those commands would stop working.
    This is the reason why we are moving it to the feature

12. Control of SVG <style> class names on Export

Here is a detailed explanation of my issue:
    https://forums.adobe.com/message/10234155#10234155

Summary: We should be able to assign/control style classes within the ai file that show up in the svg file.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  5 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Export for Screens .pdf saves all artboards in file

When Export for Screens is used to export pdfs, it saves ALL artboards for every .pdf, creating very large files. This means I have to export the pdf, then reopen the pdf in Illustrator and manually delete the other artboards and other artwork and resave it so that the pdf only contains the artboard that should be in that file.

This is clearly not the intention of the feature.

It would actually be quicker to just copy and paste it into a new file, as it can take a lot of time if you have a large file with multiple…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Glitchy remove behaviour in Color Groups in Recolor artwork

There are a lot of problems when I removing color set in Color Groups.
    First - list jumps into the end, if I remove first element for example or any from the top. Also - Backspace or Del keys not works, I can't remove using them. From video you can see that there are a lot of colors and I want be able to select multiple of them with just a mouse.

Thats just typical and simple UX from NSListView ... you know? Why you didn't implemented all that behaviour?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Locked files on SMB shares (macOS)

There is a weird file-locking problem when files are opened and saved from/to smb volumes mounted on macOS. If files are saved and closed there is still a locking on the files. So colegues are not able to delete/replace this files. There is no problem if the afp-protocol is used. For this reason we had to disable smb-sharing on our server, because macOS uses smb as default if available. (Illustrator 21.1.0 - but at least from version 19 on)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. svg import/export destroys details for svg-files generated by Inkscape

Whenever I open a svg-file in Illustrator that was generated by Inkscape, very frequently details are destroyed. A message appears stating that "round-way to tiny" may have exactly done this.
    This bug makes it impossible to collaboratively work on figures with colleagues that do not use Illustrator, but Inkscape instead.

I am using Illustrator CC 22.1.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  8 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Search duplicate objects

I know something like this is already is being done.
    Still, make this vote count.

Make AI locate duplicates (and make it part of 'Select same...' commands set.
    Make it search for variances in this duplicates with adjustable tolerance level with different options (path, color, size).
    Make an option to convert this duplicates to symbols, defining leading almost-duplicate as a master one.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. svg option to convert text to outlines when exporting

When exporting svg I have ran into wonkyness with fonts so sometimes we export svg graphics with text as shapes...

But then I some times get distracted by a email or chat message and save the ai version with out undoing my text to outlines conversion...

Why not just have a check box on the svg export panel "convert all text to shapes" then when I export this option parse the document and convert all text to shapes...

So I do not have to worry about undoing my convert text to shapes when I save the master ai file.

Stephen

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  7 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. dropbox syncing

When I open/save through the native Illustrator dialogue boxes, files that I have in my dropbox folders begin to download for no reason. I use SmartSync to keep my HD space optimized and this little glitch makes that impossible.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  2 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base