How can we improve Illustrator? Vote for or share a new idea.

585 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.2
NOTE:
1. You will have to reset your toolbar once if it is already disturbed. refer to this knowledge base to see how you can reset – https://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1900963
2. What we have fixed is the tool bar is no longer editable as long as it is not in the toolbar edit mode

Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
Adobe. Make It an Experience.

685 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • ShannonWinkworth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank god, I thought I was going crazy.
    I don't dare contact Adobe for help because their chat professionals are useless--not sure they even know/use the programs and I swear they try to make the conversation unnecessarily frustrating and unhelpful.
    Adobe, clean up your act, please! The last few years of dealing you have been painful.

• Eric Wroblewski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Who is the moron that keeps changing things in Illustrator. You guys and gals at ADOBE really suck. You take away Muse after many people fall in love with that program and use it to build their businesses. You keep monkeying around with features on programs that don't need to be fixed. STOP that stupidity!

• Darlene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously I'm on "reset toolbar" about 50 times or more a DAY! My tools just wander where they please without any way of stopping it. Whatever "mind of it's own" it has is more than just annoying - it's a deal breaker to keep using this subscription at all $50 a month while I have to either search the menu bar to find the tool, or I choose the wrong tool by accident cuz it's not where it's supposed to be!! Geez, come on you guys - please deal with this! Affinity Designer is starting to look good to me!

• Justin Raymond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rather the tool is outlined or not depends on the user interface color you pick. In a light interface the black tool is solid, but in the dark interface the black tool is outlined. This only appears this way in the tool panel. When using the two primary selections tools they are only black or white with a tiny outline of the opposite color.
    By default:
    Selection Tool (Black Arrow) is on the top left. The shortcut is 'V'.
    Direct Selection Tool (White Arrow) is on the top right. The shortcut is 'A'.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Justin Raymond, or anyone with swapped icons - I uninstalled illustrator, ran the adobe cleaner app, reinstalled illustrator 23.0.2 from https://adobe.ly/1o2SDsg and the 'selection tool' and 'direct selection tool' icons are still reversed. I think I need to confirm that I'm not having a psychotic episode or some other type of mental breakdown that has me imagining this problem. I have used Illustrator since the 80's and if I remember right the selection tool has a solid black arrow for the icon, right? And direct selection tool should have the outline of an arrow only, right? My apologies if I have imagined this problem, but I think the icons are reversed. Its funny how something that seems so trivial can really make this difficult to use. Using key commands does not solve the problem, because the keys select the correct icon, but the wrong behavior. I can't seem to retrain myself and I'm not sure I want to.

• Dave Moulton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not good enough............, how on earth can you release a version that is not fit for purpose,? in the real world of production and printing presses waiting this is seriously poor, I think I'll stop using illustrator and revert back to FreeHand.... oh wait, ahhh, err, Oh I can't do that can I (Monopoly), looks like I'm stuck with this sluggish slow laughable 'Industry standard'........... get your act together!

• Cooley Design Lab commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ha! I thought this was just my experience and I had inadvertently done something to cause my tools have a mind of their own. I do use Astute Graphics plugins and thought maybe they were causing the issue but I never experienced this with previous versions of Illustrator. I have been using Illustrator since 88 and have noticed that ever since the subscription model was rolled out, Adobe cares less and less about its customers and especially its longtime, professional users.

Can we also unsubscribe for this one? I LOVE the fix, thankfully my selectiontools are where they should be and my workflow is back to normal without having to look for every single tool. So. Thank you. Now I dont want any updates about this anymore. How do I do that?

Yes I selected the advanced toolbar and hit reset but the icons for the two selection tools remain swapped. Seems like a bug. Thanks for the link to the cleaner tool I’ll give that a try.

• Justin Raymond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Re: "Yes the file above. I did a google search about deleting my preferences and every document says to delete a file called aiprefs but a search of my computer turned up no such file."

Go here if you really want to clean adobe off your computer: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html
    There is a little cmd program Adobe has made that will wipe everything Adobe has installed on your computer. Searching for the files will not be possible.

Also, are you just Resetting a custom toolbar you made? I recommend selecting the "advance" toolbar then hitting reset.

• Nitroboy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why do I keep on getting emails regarding this thread from idiots who can't follow simple instructions? Jeez.

Yes the file above. I did a google search about deleting my preferences and every document says to delete a file called aiprefs but a search of my computer turned up no such file.

Did you download the update from the above prerelease link or from the Creative Cloud App? just wondering if that could be the issue.. the above link fixed it for me also. Try dumping your prefs.
    Good luck

• Amy Morelli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the build fix above WORKS-- DO it, it makes it all better. Still is annoying that this wasn't throughly tested-- but this fix WORKS

Re: "DO YOU PEOPLE NOT READ THE ADMIN COMMENTS... there is a build fix that is available.. stop whining and download the update... SHEESH!!!"

The update did not fix my problem. I posted a separate thread and someone moved my post and lumped it with these others. I believe I have a separate, but related issue. The ICONS for the selection and direct selection tools have become reversed. The update and resetting the toolbar did not fix my problem and I am trying to get a lot of work done and this is making it difficult. I have used Illustrator since it came out, and for that reason am not able to simply adjust my working habits. So I don't consider myself whining and if you were here I would punch you in the face.

DO YOU PEOPLE NOT READ THE ADMIN COMMENTS... there is a build fix that is available.. stop whining and download the update... SHEESH!!!

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Had a full day of illustration work to do, normally this is a joy. But Adobe have made this such a boring chore to constantly update/reset /try and find lost tools.
    What a **** up!
    This fix is taking so long because Adobe don’t really care because they don’t use the software in the real world. More have to look like they are giveing value for money with daft add-ons! Some one would have got a pat on the back for this idea and no one tested it. This is obvious!

Ok got it, thank you. Im trying to get stuff done in a hurry and it’s hard when I have been using the program for such a long time there is no way to change my habits.

Anonymous, there are 3 little bullet points under the Toolbar. Click that, then at the top it will say RESET. Hit that, then hit the bullet points again. You will need to do that multiple times per session. Yes its ****, but it must be a big issue. Adobe is taking a long time to fix it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base