How can we improve Illustrator? Vote for or share a new idea.

585 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.2
NOTE:
1. You will have to reset your toolbar once if it is already disturbed. refer to this knowledge base to see how you can reset – https://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1900963
2. What we have fixed is the tool bar is no longer editable as long as it is not in the toolbar edit mode

Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
Adobe. Make It an Experience.

685 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a nightmare - I don't want to have to lock it - leave it alone unless I ask. Can't find my eyedropper at all - everything moves daily, important tools disappear, and why is my text tool hiding with lines and not other text tools? Whoever created this has a satanic streak....

• dy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh, man. THANK YOU @Steve for bringing up the Photoshop rescale issue!! WHY ADOBE??? WHY?!?! I'm beginning to think you have lost sight of your core user group whom have been using the suite for many years and versions. Why all of the sudden, out of the blue something like this? SMH

• Timmo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree with Steve! Photoshop new rescaling is terrible for pro's who worked with Photoshop for a long time, daily. This and the tools problems in Illustrator make it looks like the updates are tested by persons new to adobe

• Amy Morelli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hahah they think they are "helping us" LOL NO ONE wants all these crazy changes. it really does mess up the ability to make money when they start jacking around with changing features.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh Steve... heck yeah! Photoshop rescaling is all jacked up! Messes with all our productivity. What the heck are they doing!

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with Barney - an apology is too little too late. I have to assume when you change something this significant there's loads of testing done - my question then: when testing, did the toolbar instability not present itself? Did it appear, and everyone at your end thought it didn't matter?I just don't understand how something like this gets out to the public. On paper, making the toolbar super customizable is not a bad idea - but your implementation is shockingly inept.
    While we're at it - Photoshop - since the beginning of time, holding down the shift key keeps the object you're resizing in ratio/scale. Some genius decided, "now let's make it do the exact opposite" - but only in Photoshop, not the rest of the Suite. Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? How could you not anticipate problems with doing that? Why is it - like the tool bar issue - when you want to change something significantly you don't offer a preference for those of us that prefer it not to be messed with? I can't be the only expert user out there that feels like you're catering to new users at our expense.

• Martin Cross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm running CC 2019 on a Mac running High Sierra (10.13.6)

The selection tool (outline arrow) keeps disappearing. I cannot add using 'customise toolbox', as all the tools are greyed out.

The only way to get it back is to trash the preferences (losing my Workspace) and restart.

If this is a result of some UI change, in terms of something being made easy to move or lose individual tools, may I suggest an option to LOCK the toolbox, so that doesn't happen?

• Jan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For a few months now my toolbar keeps having tools mysteriously move around. Selection tools, eyedropper tools, tools I just used become buried within other tools or move around to new locations in the toolbar. This makes finding anything impossible and hugely frustrating. This is turning into a colossal waste of time for something Adobe never seemed to have a problem with. Please fix your menus so they remain how you set them. I looked online and found plenty of others complaining about this same issue.

Ashutosh Chaturvedi claims that this is resolved but it is NOT resolved. Please fix this. Thank you.

• BARNEY commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am sure we all appreciate the apology and the fix - however this could have all been avoided in the first place if you had listened to your paying customers.

I am less interested in an apology and more interested in a commitment to stop adding unnecessary and/or untested features in the future.

Let's make this a learning experience, eh?

• bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE sort a simple way of locking the toolbar until user wishes to amend

• Kostya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After installing the latest build for version 23.0.2, I have same problem as in Karen's comment below: "I am having problems with the customizable toolbar as well. For some reason, my selection tool (V) keeps combining with my direct selection tool (A) and group selection tool. I then have to open up the customizable panel and reset the tools. I would really like to find a way to lock this. Please help."
    ADOBE! YOU MUST MAKE A WAY TO LOCK THE TOOLBAR PANEL!!!!

• Timmo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I switched back to Illustrator 2017, wich does work much slower on Mac OS 10.14.2, but it works!
    I hope they fix it soon but from now on I did disable the auto update function for CC

Now that I did the above update.. When using the UP arrow only to nudge something in Illustrator and In Design the menus on the right start going all screwy? They disappear and reappear- the cursor cycles through them and starts filling boxes with solid color. Come on Adobe-- fix one problem to create another.. this is more of a nightmare for workflow than the NON locking tool bar.

• Karen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am having problems with the customizable toolbar as well. For some reason, my selection tool (V) keeps combining with my direct selection tool (A) and group selection tool. I then have to open up the customizable panel and reset the tools. I would really like to find a way to lock this. Please help.

Question: is anyone else having an issue that when using the UP arrow only to nudge something in Illustrator and In Design the menus on the right start going all screwy?

Thank you for sending this fix. My work day is already sooo much better now that I installed this fix!!

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How long till the update because By Setting the tool bar to one column The issue is almost completely gone for me. Thank you for fixing this issue. Love the other update BTW.

Feedback and Knowledge Base