When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Align Stroke to one side of path

The feature which allows you to align stroke to inside or outside of a path for closed shapes is fantastic and gives a great deal of dynamic help. Currently, the only way to align a stroked path and another shape is inaccurately with only visual cues or expand the stroked path and lose editability.

I don't know if it has been suggested but a feature which allowed you to preserve a non destructive workflow and interact with shapes more easily is very much within reach. Simply create an equivalent for the align stroke to inside or outside of path for…

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

9 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Split paths by currently applied dash settings

Hi - I was directed here via adobe and illustrator support teams on twitter.

I'm submitting a suggestion for a function or feature for adobe illustrator in which the user may subdivide a dashed path into individual smaller paths, by the measurement and placement of said dash style. I have seen many different suggestions and workarounds for this over the past few years but none actually execute this specific action. (Setting to .0001 stroke, expanding, then deleting excess points isn't ideal!)

In my current role, and in our office, we design and create physical package design comps. we frequently use…

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Set the reference point of a shape, object or group where you want it

The reference point of a shape, object or group always reverts to its default position: the center.
    When rotating an object, you often find yourself clicking Alt to reposition that reference point to get the shape rotated the way you want it.
    It would be great if the reference point's position could be maintained for that object, shape, group etc.
    In other words, if someone repositions the reference point, save it to that new position and don't let it switch back to its center origin.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Full Alignment Center Option

Instead of having two tools (Horizontal and Vertical Align Center), can we get a tool that does both in one called something like Fully Align Center. I've included an image of what the tool might look like.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Dynamic Offset Path

Because I make maps using Illustrator, I tend to work with loads of strokes for hundreds of streets. So far I've managed without outlining these strokes, or outlining by copying these strokes, converting them to shapes and then applying a stroke to that shape. However it is tedious, hard to edit and basically creates twice a set of roads - which is never fantastic.

It would be great if the Offset Path effect or function could have a dynamic nature: Reading its parent stroke's width to widen or narrow accordingly. I've attached three images:

One: with a work-around-ish 'hack' using…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Snap shape to artboard or bleeds

When you draw a rectangle as a background color or border, you could snap to the edges of the artboard or snap to the edges of the bleed.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Ability to toggle snap on/off while moving individual points

I want snap to be on almost all the time. I only need it off to move a point or two.
    I would like a single key to hold down that would turn off snap while I move that single point.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Live preview of gradient (while dragging)

Whenever I'm using the gradient tool I wonder why I can never see the appearance of the gradient while dragging it. resulting in having to tweak it at least a couple of times before I'm content.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. stroke weight

I would love a keyboard shortcut to change the stroke weight increments, similar to how we can toggle pt size of type. This would allow me to continue my workflow in fullscreen mode.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Introduce reset option for shear/rotation/scaling

Currently, having used the Shear or Scaling tool on an object cannot be undone - except by undoing ANY previous changes to a document, plus the document may not have been closed and reopened, thereby losing the undo stack.

I'd like to suggest to add a Reset Object option to AI, allowing to reset an object's shear, rotation and scaling attributes to their original values at the time that object was created.

The suggested Reset Object option should open a confirmation dialog containing three checkboxes for the user to check:

Reset the following object attributes:

□ rotation
    □ scaling
    □…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Show a different cursor on bezier point, and add tolerance to it

Hello,
    Grabbing bezier points is a nightmare. There is no tolerance (the one in preferences works only for anchor points) and there is no cursor change (although there is one on anchor points).
    I show you how this nightmare can be with a gif.
    And I show you how other softwares handle this problem by changing the cursor over a handle bezier point.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Easily create tangents

The ability to easily create tangents would be extremely handy for many designers out there. AutoCAD has an extremely versatile and intuitive system for them, it would be wonderful to finally have a tool for this. I PROMISE you, designers will respond well to this.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Illustrator - Align

The Align tools in all Adobe programs is a wonderful feature. However, in Illustrator when you Align objects it changes the position of ALL of them. In other programs, it tends to be the last object you select takes the dominant position - aligning all others to it. In Illustrator it doesn't seem to matter the order you select, it just aligns it to the nearest center point (thus moving ALL the objects). The Lock feature doesn't help as you cannot select a locked object to align with/to.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Pattern brush can be created while viewing preview as in pattern edit mode.

Creating tiles and checking whether the seams are aligned is hard work.
    I think that it is convenient to have a function that can create a pattern brush while watching the preview as in the pattern edit mode.
    It seems that the efficiency of pattern brush creation will be greatly increased.

(Translated to Japanese)
    タイルを作成し、つなぎ目が揃っているかを確認する作業は大変なので、パターン編集モードのようにプレビューを見ながらパターンブラシを作成できる機能がほしい。
    制作時の作業効率が大幅にUPすると思います。

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Make symbols work in brushes

When you save symbol as brush, it stops being symbol.
    This makes impossible live update of the brush, when brush changes as soon as you make changes.
    This video shows such live update (after Spyro part):
    https://youtu.be/3OaLZuFZxdk
    Making symbols stay symbols in brushes seems to be the easiest way of having such a behavior in AI.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Soft selection (Selection drop off)

This already exists in many 3D applications (Maya, 3D Max, and C4d, for sure) and it's often treated, not as a separate tool, but as a setting in the regular selection tools. The idea is that you can set an gradient influence area where the points directly selected are affected 100% by transform changes, while everything else is affected by the changes but adjusted to the alpha percentage of the gradient at that point's initial location. I know that sounds like a mouthful, but it's very similar to how the mesh warp works (minus the having to convert anything and…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Gradient don't snap to grid when Snap to grid is on

I can't believe I haven't posted it, but search says so.
    Since CS4, I guess, when cool and fance gradient annotator showed up, gradient tool had lost it's ability to snap to grid. WHY? Do you think nobody needs to snap gradients? I need, at least.
    It should also snap to Smart guides!

Everything must snap to grid, when Snap to grid is enabled.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Merge anchor points

I'd like an option to merge two anchor points into one on a shape/path. This would make cleaner paths and objects.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Outlining dotted lines with " aligns dashes", unnecessary anchor points are generated.

When dotted lines with “Aligns dashes to corners and path ends, adjusting lengths to fit” are outlined , unnecessary anchor points are generated in the circles at both ends.

When performing detailed processing to create artwork, I sometimes outline dashed lines. So, unnecessary anchor points are an obstacle in such processing.
    Although there are workarounds, I hope that users will get clean outline results without any ingenuity.

Workaround:
    (A)
    1.Double-click anywhere in the stroke with Width tool to add a new width point.
    2.Execute “Expand Appearance” , “Outline Strokes” or “Flatten Transparency”.

(B)
    1.Drawing strokes in accurately calculated length with…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Smart Guide for tangents to curves...

I'd like to request a Smart Guide when drawing lines for when you are over a curve and the line is tangent to a curve.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base