When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Easier way to set color for drop shadows

Right now when you need to change Drop Shadow's color, you have to click effect in Appearance palette, then click color and only then choose color.

But when you have a LOT of shadows — you are screwed (because Drop Shadows can't use global swatches: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/34789156-drop-shadow-can-t-use-global-color-swatches).

You have to click EACH shadow and change it.
    Not effective.

Why not to make shadow's color appear in Appearance the same way as fill does?

It will also allow to change color of multiple shadows for one object at once (yeah, I have to layer shadows, because AI doesn't allow to tweak…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Alt+click in Appearance hides all effects except clicked one

Sometimes I need to isolate one particular effect and work on it.
    I always try to alt+click it, like I do with layers in Photoshop, but fail, of course.
    Why not to add this in AI?

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Gradient Feather

I would love it if illustrator had a gradient feather tool that worked the same way as the one in illustrator.

At the moment you have to manually set up a gradient with 2 of the same colour with one set to 0% opacity and one at 100% opacity, unless I'm missing something! The one in indesign can be applied to groups as well which is super useful.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Can't select and edit two effects from two separate fills in single appearance

I can't select two effects, applied to different fills in one appearance — AI restricts to select both of them. Therefore, if I have same effect applied to all of my object's fills, I have to edit EACH of them one by one, instead of just Ctrl+click all of them and edit at once.
    It means that if I want to change Drop shadow's parameters, scattered across different appearances, no graphic style won't help me. And I already mentioned in separate enquiry that Drop shadow and other color-based effects ignore global swatches.
    This is nuts. I waste so much time.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Drop shadow distribution curves

Right now shadow is just blurred silhouette.
    Please add option to tweak it's distribution, as PS does ('profiles').

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Enhancing the Convert to Shape Effects

The Rectangle, Eplise and Polygon tools had been updated with dynamic properties in CC 2014.

That will be huge to have these properties added to the "Convert to Shape" Effect and to add the Polygon and Star tools to the "Convert to Shape" list.

It will allow more Advanced Appearances and Graphic Styles.

–––

+Adding the Reference Point:
    https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/32052073-add-reference-point-to-convert-to-shape-effect

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add numerical control over light sources in 3D Extrude & Bevel Effect Options

When applying and tweaking 3D Extrude & Bevel Effect, user has to manipulate light by precise mouse twitching over the small sphere.
    It should be at least twice as big to provide fine control (I won't note this as separate request), but there should also be numerical fields to control the lights' position over sphere — angle, elevation, choose any.

Also, why Depth and Height values there are immune to document Units settings? 56.96pt is nonsense to me, while 20mm makes sense.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add Reference Point to "Convert to Shape" effect

When using the convert to shape effect, it would be useful to be able to specify a reference point to the dialog, about which the effect can transform. For example, the current implementation distributes the effect from the centre across the height/width axes. A reference point would allow you to add extra dimension to the left/right/top/bottom (as required) and would be extremely useful in UI construction, among other things.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Blur object background

I'd like to see a blur option where objects behind an object appear blurred such as in the attachment. This is something that, I believe, can be achieved in CSS so it would be good to have the ability to use such an effect in Illustrator.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Gradient Quality

There is banding from black and white when I do a gradient and it does not matter what size the object is I am doing the gradient onto.

A nice smooth gradient is important without banding. I have seen this done on many items, not sure what they used, but the gradients were so smooth and flowing.

I then tested it with white that went to 50% grey and still banding.

Why is the quality of the gradient tool so terrible in illustrator?

Also, why is it so complicated to get the color you want from the library, or any…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Attach Symbol Effect

Adding a new Effect to Attach a Symbol would heavily simplify the creation of Appearances (Graphic Styles) like the one in my Screenshot.

Of course a Reference Point and Liquid constraints like in InDesign would be amazing.

And that will open all new horizons of possibilities!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Grayscale as an Effect

I would like to be able to apply a non-destructive "Convert to Grayscale" Effect to Objects, Groups or Layers.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 'Reverse Order' option for Transform Effect

When you set several copies in Transform effect, Illustrator makes them stack under original art, 'going backwards'. Sometimes it's better to have an opposite behaviour, with copies stacking up, 'towards' viewer.

Please add this checkbox near 'Copies" field.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. procedural textures for fills

It would be nice if there was a procedural texture fill available. Something like coreldraw has, but completely procedural so that file size doesn't bloat. The more parameters the better so we could create many varying textures/colors/patterns/etc.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. apply effects

is there an easy way to apply a series of effects by copying the settings from one element and applying them in another?
    Could you simplify this step without having to create an object style?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Advanced User Defined Variable - Step and Repeat Transform Live Effects

I think I'm getting at a broader idea that includes some requests already posted - Advanced user defined variables to duplicate or step and repeat objects any number of times. This would allow users to either or conform or randomize copies of a Transform for advanced effects. I saw this idea some years ago by a Russian guilloche pattern product called Excentro ( http://www.excourse.com/excentro/index.html ) screenshot attached, that does just that.

Perhaps this is a third party plugin, or a separate Adobe product, but I think it would be great to take this on as an Illustrator feature. You can…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. NUMERATE!

As a function of the transform tool, or perhaps a tool in it's own right, a feature to numerate copies in sequence and/or apply fully scanning bar or QR codes. E.g. raffle tickets, concert tickets, coupons, vouchers, etc.

This would be invaluable as a time-saving measure, and allow an artist/designer to keep something like tickets completely in-house. I've been working with Illustrator for 15 years, and to my knowledge there's no feature that does anything like this. When I design concert or raffle tickets I have to use a 3rd party vendor, pretty much just for the bar code and…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Better reflect tool functionality with option to add multiple instances similar to Macromedia Freehand.

Illustrator needs a better reflect tool that can add multiple instances. The way Freehand's reflect/rotate tool worked was IMO optional because it gave a live preview of the outcome and worked intuitively.

I know that similar thing can be done in effects -> transform, but you need many more steps to achieve the same result, often not knowing what to expect visually before you get the result.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Give us the option to allow effects to rotate with object

Often in packaging design, if I've set up a logo or live type with effects, I need to rotate that logo or type to read correctly on whichever panel it rests and have the drop shadow or offset outline (as in the example) remain in a consistent position to the object itself, and not, as illustrator defaults, consistent to the canvas.

Up through CC 2017 I used the workaround of making the Logo a symbol. This allowed the effects to remain consistent to the object. Then Adobe, er... "fixed" that with CC2018 and now the effects stay consistent to the…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base