When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Color Halftone with various pixel sizes and/or LPI

In "Color Halftone" we only have the option of setting one pixel size for the dots, that will later be applied to all 4 channels. However, in printing, it is common for each color channel to be printed with a different dot size, to prevent moiré and create more solid patterns. It would be great if in Illustrator one could set a different pixel size for each color, the same way it is possible to vary the angle.

Also it would be amazing to have this setting done in LPI rather than pixel dot size.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Auto-generate an opacity mask from the Appearance palette

I've been experimenting with ways to create soft edges and stylized natural textures in my work. I find myself wishing for this to be able to quickly and easily create, say, an erratically faded and mottled edge to a filled path by giving it an opacity mask made up of a jagged white-to-black fade pattern brush, plus some black spots from a scatter brush.

I would like to be able to add strokes and/or fills to a path via the Appearance palette, and have these paths show up in an auto-generated opacity mask for the path instead.

Possibly this might…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Perspective mode for Free Distort effect

Free Distort effects, being a bit outdated with it's detached preview window, comes out Super Tool with Stylism plugin installed. But it could do so much better if there would be a tick, that turns distortion into a perspective one, as the tool with the same name allows to do. That would allow us to distort stuff live in perspective (and omit using overcomplicated Perspective Grid for small tasks).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Ability to create Folder-like Groups within Appearance panel and apply Opacity and effects at this Group level.

Using the Photoshop model of layer folders, provide the ability to group fills and strokes within the Appearance panel. These groups could then have opacity, effects, etc. applied at the Group level.

E.g. a complex stroke pattern could be built within a group using multiple styles, and then that pattern could be "embossed" onto another underlaying style using Overlay or Hard Light. The overall effect could then be contained within a single path and could be saved as a single Graphic Style.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Transform Effect with manually adjustable anchor position

The current Transform Effects has a very limited anchor position setup (that 9 squares in the bottom corner). To make a custom anchor position, we must input "horizontal" and "vertical" value manually which is very ancient.

Rotation tool with Transform Again method is an alternative when creating a mandala thingy, but it if we want to alter the shapes, we have to repeat the rotation and transformation again, which is another ancient stuff.

Adding a simple clicking right on the artboard for placing the anchor point of Transform Effects would be great. We can just set up the anchor point…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Bring Back Hold Shift to Restrict Gradient Movement

In prior versions of Illustrator, when adjusting the composition of a gradient using the gradient tool, you used to be able to hold shift to constrict the gradients movement to the Y or X axis.

Please bring this back as it is a quick and seamless way to align the gradient composition exactly instead of eyeballing it.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Separate "Random" checkboxes for every parameter of the transform each command and effect.

Seperate "Random" checkboxes for every parameter of the "Transform Each" command and effect.

This would allow the user, in one step, to randomize only the selected parameter, (say the vertical scale) but still transform the other parameters (maybe rotation and number of copies) uniformly.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Please return snaps to the Gradient Adjust Tool

Please return snaps to the Gradient Adjust Tool so I can snap to points or press shift to contain to 90 deg etc. It was in previous versions

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Quick Solid Smooth Vector Drop Shadow

I work in the sign industry and a lot of times customers like to do a drop shadow say on a unit number like the attached file. Now if I try to achieve this using the blend tool with 1000 steps when I go to merge it crashes my computer. I need it merged to cut the decal out. So most of the time I make two copies of the image, position my shadow, merge them and take out the points needed to give it the effect. However it really sucks with curved letters and numbers and when I have…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Scrollable Blending mode previews like .psd

Scrollable Blending mode previews like .psd

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Effects in outline view

Effects still load in the background in outline view. It doesn't make any sense for them to load as I'm in outline view and can't see the applied effects anyway. Effects should be turned off in outline view, right?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Turn off effects in outline mode

I never really understood why effects are loaded in the background in outline mode. Why is it necessary to load an effect when you don't even see it? I thought the purpose of outline mode was for when the artwork have become heavy and takes longer time to load. The usual reason why my artwork becomes so heavy is because of all the effects I use. I wish I could switch to outline mode for quick edits instead of having to wait for the effect to load every time I do a tiny adjustment. Effects should be turned off in…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Overhaul of Illustrator's 3D capabilities.

Illustrator's 3D effects are hugely outdated. Something that matches or even exceeds After Effects would be a would boost to the program.

Heck, even something that allows you to easily rotate and move the shapes around in 3D space like AE would be great. Illustrator's current 3D tool are clumsy and cumbersome.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. We need, again, Custom Bevels in 3D-Extrude & Bevel, please!

Illustrator used to have the ability to create customer Bevel profiles ( in the Bevels.ai file in /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator 23/en_US/Symbols ). HOWEVER, the feature is now gone! Please give us the option to create custom Bevels, again! Thank you.

Last year, 2018, I created a object and gave it a 3D custom bevel, and now I can do nothing with that object. Whenever I try to do something with it Illustrator crashes. I couldn't figure out what was going on until I tried creating a custom Bevel again. There is no way to create a custom Bevel! When I…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Multiply Glitch

Multiply effect in transparency is not working properly, it's appearing partially colored and pixelated, or object would disappear when zooming in/out.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Would like to be able to entries in the Appearance Panel and perform Pathfinder functions to them. .

Example: Select 2 strokes in the appearance panel, one transformed some distance from the other, and apply the pathfinder Unite function (Fx) and have them become functionally one entry on one layer of the selected object.. This could eliminate some what are sometimes complicated procedures when outputting files to various RIP/machines/printers.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Effect/Filter parity with Photoshop/Indesign/After Effects

Many of the effects in Illustrator seem to be only half implemented (in comparison to PS/AE/etc). Illustrator's glow/shadow/etc effects only have a few options compared to the same effects in other Adobe apps, which makes them less adaptable & powerful. Please beef up the effects (and add new ones, such as directional feather/gradient feather/inner shadow) in Illustrator so that they match the offerings in Adobe's other apps.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Transform with negative numbers

It has become a real frustration when using Illustrator that I can't use negative numbers for the Transform/Move... tool or for the Transform effect. It seems like such a simple thing that I'm surprised it has not been added yet. Please address this in an upcoming update. Thank you.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base