When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Script for Data Merge from excel into Illustrator

I am looking for a way to import excel data into specific layers in Adobe Illustrator CC 2017.

Essentially to have the excel data tables to link to different artboards and be able to be updated each time the file is opened or as needed. Assuming this would be some kind of script so one could just run the script again or a data merge process (similar to what is available in indesign.

Thanks in advance!

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  SDK and Scripting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Assign shortcuts to custom scripts and allow actions to run custom scripts

Hello!

It would be great to be able to assign a keyboard shortcut to a custom script. We use custom scripts in AI for a large variety of tasks at my job and we currently have to use a third party program on Mac (Quicksilver) in order to "assign" a shortcut to run them. This causes the scripts to run a bit slower and requires more development and support.

Additionally, it would be helpful to run custom scripts as a step within an action. This is currently possible to setup, but the action will "forget" the script the next time…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  SDK and Scripting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please add feature for to make object as key object via script to perform align operations.

Hi, I am a plugin developer, and there is a lot of features we are missing in Illustrator scripting that can be done manually in Illustrator. This is the one feature. Please add this feature so that we have some method or property to make the object as a key object to perform "Align to Key Object" operation via script.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  SDK and Scripting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Upgrade JavaScript scripting engine at least ES5 up.

It only supports ES3 right now, which is very old, on the other hand,
    @AdobeXD
    supports ES5 above, which is very good.

It will be wonderful if you have that feature support.

Thank you!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. JSON for ExtendScript

JSON is a standard JavaScript data format. Considering how close ExtendScript is to JavaScript it is very baffling that common functions like JSON.parse and JSON.stringify are not supported.

Support for JSON would be very appreciated.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. allow scripting access to the matrix property of symbol items

Allow script access to the matrix property for symbol items. The matrix property is available for similar classes of items, such as raster items, but not symbols. It isn't possible for a script to understand how a symbol has been rendered without it.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow Illustrator scripts to run in background

I use a script to package a lot of ai files at once. Currently, the Illustrator window needs focus to run the script, or else the script will pause. If Illustrator could do this by itself in the background, it would eliminate the need to wait for the script to finish.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Please add id support for each page element as we have in Indesign. It helps a lot in Illustrator scripting.

WHat I think when we do scripting for elements, we should have a unique id for each element. SO it will be easy for developer to access the element using is instead of name

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Adobe Illustrator Scripting VERY slow - C#

Adobe Illustrator Scripting VERY slow - C#
    Hello,

i'm developting a small library to access PathObjects in Illustrator (works fine for CS2, CS5) - but i have massive performance problems with CC2019. I am using VS2017.

Code looks like:

Type AIType = Type.GetTypeFromProgID(AIAppName);
    dynamic illuApp = Activator.CreateInstance(AIType);

if (illuApp == null)
    {
    return;
    }

if (illuApp.Documents.Count < 1)
    {
    return;
    }

System.Array lll = illuApp.ActiveDocument.selection;
    if (lll != null)
    {
    for (int i = 0; i < lll.Length; i++)
    {
    dynamic path = lll.GetValue(i);
    if (path != null)
    {
    var lll2 = path.PathPoints;
    Application.DoEvents();
    int iSelCount = lll2.Count;
    if (iSelCount…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Socket support in AI scripting engine.

Please add support for sockets in the illustrator scripting engine. Currently we have to jump through a whole lot of hoops (messaging through bridge) to be able to connect to anything in a script.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add Transparency Preset Option on Script

Transparency Preset like [Medium Resolution] and [High Resolution] are able to be setted on Normal Illustrator Dialogue, but it is not able to setted on Scripting.

My company and job is hoping this feature added badly…

Thank you.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Python scripting support

Illustrator supports vbscript and javascript... But not Python. Python support would be awesome - it's a very common language, easy to use, has lots and lots of libraries to simplify workflows etc.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add Transparency Preset Option on Script

Transparency Preset like [Medium Resolution] and [High Resolution] are able to be setted on Normal Illustrator Dialogue, but it is not able to setted on Scripting.

My company and job is hoping this feature added badly…

Thank you.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Ability to record the "Make Pixel Perfect" action

Please add a feature to the AI Action to able to record "Object > Make Pixel Perfect". It's needed when I prepare bitmap assets for HTML5 Advertising in Animate CC

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Select multiple font and change the content of all with one writing

I think this idea is useful for designer who create a logo design and want to see the right font for name company.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  SDK and Scripting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. .ait Files not showing.

It would be great if indesign and Illustrator would use the same scripts. I have several in indesign that I desperately need in illustrator. ALSO it would be very great if we could assign Shortcuts to script. As well as adding a scripts Panel like in Indesign.

Thank you.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Missing languages from character panel for automation

I need to automate the language parameter from the Character panel on Illustrator. It is already available for most languages but it looks like the recent languages that have been added in Illustrator are not available for automation. We need to set this up to have the correct hyphenation in the text frames. For example, if we activate the hyphenation for illustrator files that contains Thai strings, it won’t hyphenate the strings correctly until we set the language.

The list available for automation can be found from the Illustrator scripting library on macOS (it contains everything we can use for…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Play actions in Button mode

If it would be possible to add a shortcut, or a way, to press "Play" button in action tab, from button mode.
    Having multiple actions is easier to handle in button mode, but it is unable to use more complicated actions for example with stops, because there is no play, and way to adjust shortcut for it, so you need to be in standard mode.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Please make unlinking symbols available via scripting

As a motion designer I often transfer graphics from Illustrator to After Effects using Overlord from battleaxe.co

Unfortunately the developer can not access unlinking symbols via scripting so this process still has to be done with a workaround. Especially with projects that involve a fair mount of symbols (like infographics or UI design) this would be very convenient.

Thank you!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base