Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. "Hyphenate" not be the default paragraph option

By default, paragraph text is set to hyphenate words that don't fit into the text box. I suggest that the default is to have text not be hyphenated so you can click the box if you want it to be.

No one I know has ever wanted hyphenated words in text, but you have to uncheck the "Hyphenate" box from the Paragraph Palette, it's annoying to have to do that every time I make a new paragraph or paragraph style. (same problem in indesign)

425 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Grammarly support for Illustrator and InDesign

Incorporating a Grammarly integration as part of the CC membership for Illustrator and InDesign would be INCREDIBLY helpful for many users. Even though these applications aren't word-processors, being able to reveiw documents for style etc. would be a huge bonus in my opinion.

416 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have passed this request along to Grammarly and that while Grammarly thought it would be useful, they’re unable to prioritize it at this time.

4. text align vertically

Allow text to be vertically centered in text box.

In InDesign, there is an option in the text frame properties, "Vertical Justification", with a "Center" option.

Or, the "baseline shift" option could be split into either specifying a number, as it is now, or specifying "center in text box".

This option is very important sometimes, such as having a tag symbol (e.g. circle) with a label inside that is either 1 or 2 lines high. Right now I have to have 2 paragraph styles (1 for 1-line text and 1 for 2-line text) so the 1 line text is in…

359 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Select > Same > Font (Size/ Style/ Typeface / Size& Style / Size and Typeface)

Extend the select menu items to include options for selecting type variations.

205 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Allow Aligning Stroke to Inside and Outside of Text

Currently strokes can only be aligned to the center of the edge of text (see red stroke in attached example), it would be very helpful to be able to set strokes to inside and especially outside (bottom/green example) of text while still being able to edit it. This is especially useful when you want to make text standout on a busy background. Thank you!

185 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Bulleted and Numbered lists (like InDesign)

This would be a quick easy way to format a paragraph where each paragraph return becomes a bullet or numbered/lettered list item.

Numbers in numbered lists would be updated automatically when you add or remove paragraphs in the list. Bullets would also flow accordingly when edited.

InDesign has both a "Bulleted List button" and "Numbered List button" in the Control Panel and if these features were added to Illustrator they would be very popular.

182 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add ability to hyperlink text

Make text linkable to a url or email when exported to a PDF, like you can already do in InDesign.

Only being able to do this in a PDF means that if you make an update in Illustrator and export as a PDF again, you have to re-do all your hyperlinks.

134 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 116 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Convert text to outlines on open

If fonts are missing on open, give the option to expand/convert to outlines. I work in the sign industry, It is a huge hassle to contact customers to have them convert it and re-send it. They frequently don't know how/didn't make the artwork to begin with. I typically get around this using acrobat watermark trick, but it's very time consuming. We have over 6,000 fonts, and we still have missing fonts all the time.

89 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

We have started working on the tech that allows us to enable the following:

• Ability to convert the outlined/expanded text back to live text.
    • Ability to lock objects to a character/glyph of a live text, allowing users to change the text (properties) while the object stays locked into the character.

As we work through the complexities of handling different font families, font size, and other font properties, we would love to meet with you and share our thinking around it and understand :

• Your use cases and workflows that this feature will help you with.
    • What is most essential for you.
    • The workarounds that you currently use to achieve this.

If you are interested, please pick a time slot that works for you using this link. https://calendly.com/meetai/60min?month=2023-01

11. Option to disable 'Recent Fonts' feature.

I hate having to scroll from the top of the fonts list every time i'm searching for a new font. Currently, in preferences there is an option for only 1 recent font, however, i'd like to be able to disable this feature completely.

87 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

12. Prevent "Align paragraph" from moving the text from its position

It's by far the thing that annoys me the most about Illustrator;
    when you have your point text already positioned you need it to be aligned to a side and when you press the "align" button in the paragraph options the text moves and aligns to its previous center.
    It's a complete time-waster!

80 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Convert outline text to editable text

I work with a lot of files that come to me with outline text, which I then have to retype from scratch. It would be a really useful feature if outline text could be converted to editable text - could there be some kind of auto-recognition (OCR) of the outline text and generate editable text from this? Built-in OCR?

72 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Typesetting formulas, mathematical equations and symbols in LaTeX-style

When typesetting mathematical formulas, LaTeX is the way to go and is the standard in many scientific areas. But a problem arises when mathematical symbols should be used in figures. If these figures are e.g. created in Illustrator, it is always a bit inconvenient to include the symbols in the figure. It is e.g. necessary to render the symbols separately and include them as EPS files in Illustrator or the symbols are added later to the figure by another program.

It would be really cool to have a build-in feature in Illustrator which would allow direct typesetting in the common…

67 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Paste and match style within illustrator

When copying from one text box with style A, then pasting into a text box with style B -- provide the ability to paste as style B in a single keystroke or step. Currently the default is to keep style A when pasting which requires an additional step to convert the style B.

61 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Hide / disable unwanted fonts

There is a long list of fonts that I just don't use. There needs to be some way to hide fonts. Especially with all the fonts that get added, plus any fonts that the os has installed.

58 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Data merge like Indesign

It would be nice if you could have the data merge function like in Indesign so you can import .csv-files.

58 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Set Default Font and Font Size for all new documents

Changing the default character style in Illustrator should be permanent when creating new documents. Font size 12 is rarely used for any project I've designed, and Myriad Pro is used even less so, from my experience. Having to change this every time is user friction that is unnecessary, when we could define our own font and font size that is more applicable to one's intended use of Illustrator. It's a minor inconvenience that adds up to an annoyance over time, and I hope that in the future we have the ability to skip this step.

53 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The intended way of setting a default font is to edit document profiles. These files are located in folders like 'C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator 2023\Support Files\Required\New Document Profiles\[language]\' on Windows and 'Macintosh HD > Applications ▸ Adobe Illustrator 2020 > Support Files > New Document Profiles > [language]' on Macs.

Make a copy of the one you want to use someplace else, open it in Illustrator, make your changes, replace the original and then use it when creating a new file.

There are many tutorials on the web about managing these, like this one: https://productivista.com/new-document-profiles-saves-your-default-settings/

However, this way indeed is not the most discoverable. Please continue to vote and leave comments if you want this to be improved.

19. Keyboard shortcuts for Bold and Italic text

It would be useful if, while typing/editing text, there was a keyboard shortcut to add BOLD or ITALICS - highlight the word, hit CTRL + B to bold, for example.

52 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Adobe Spark / Express "Capitalize & Fit" feature possible in Illustrator?

In Adobe Spark, when creating a Post, there's a nice feature which allows you to create a dynamic text box which capitalises, scales, and fits the words to a text box, as you click and drag the handles of the text box. In Adobe Spark the feature is called "Capitalize & Fit". It would be nice to have something similar in Illustrator.

50 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 19 20
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base