Illustrator Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Change shortcut for paste in place/paste on all artboards to match Indesign

I'm in a workflow where I work simultaneously with Illustrator and Indesign, linking illustrator files to indesign (they could probably be integrated more!).

However, it is probably my most irritated moments when I realize I have used cmd-alt-shift-V (shortcut to paste in place in Indesign) instead of cmd-shift-V. If you work on one artboard, it looks the same, and you don't realize your mistake until you go to another artboard and see that the pasted thing has been pasted on all artboards. And you've worked far enough to not having the possibility to undo...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. preference option to set "Save as" default to a certain file type

when you go to save a file, illustrator defaults to the same file that was previously opened. 9 times out of 10 after i open an eps, svg, pdf, etc... i'll make changes and go to "save as" but want to save it as an illustrator file. i'd love to be able to just open the dialogue box and have it default to a file type i can select via a preference option.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow to see full name past artboard extent

The artboard name is restricted to the size of the artboard, which truncates the name and makes it illegible. Better logic would be to only shorten the name if it collides with another artboard name.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Navigator and Artboard bug

Navigator doesn't move around and there are two "23" in Artboards. The number artboard 22 doesn't even appear

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Artboards should have a purpose

1. What is the purpose of having an artboard if anything drawn beyond it shows up as part of your drawing? I exported an artwork as a png file and everything beyond the artboard showed up as part of the artwork. The workspace around the artboard should be able to be used for ideas that may be relevant to future versions of your art or to assist in creating your art.

2. When I drew the attached image, I expected that anything beyond the artboard would not show as part of the artwork.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Master Illustrator File Placed in Multiple Illustrator Files OR Export Selected Layers Palette

In my line of work, we often time work in one single Illustrator file that has one basemap then multiple layers with each showing a specific thing separate from the other layers. However this gets tedious when exporting files where you have to select the layers you want, export as it's own name, deselect those layers and select the next batch of layers, export those under their own name, deselect those layers etc.

What would be great is if Illustrator had the ability to have something like a Master Layer that can bring in a basemap Illustrator file to have…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add Frames into Illustrator

In InDesign it's possible to add frames for text and imagery, and although Illustrator isn't necessarily the layout application - it would be great to get this feature on it too.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. auto arrange artboards on new

First, the workspace is Too **** small at this point, especially when working in pixels. And someone out there assumes 72dpi still. Stop it!

I'm creating 4K artboards to explore some ideas. I create 2 of them. And it won't let me create a 3rd without rearranging. Who's idea was That!?!?

The first thing you should do is just move the stinkin' workspace. What's with all the room on the left? Look, if you only work left to right, why are you always trying to center the artboards in the workspace? You'll never use the space above or to the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    We are pleased to inform you that your request is available in the latest release of Illustrator version 22.0.
    Visit your Adobe Creative Cloud Application and update. If you do not see an update on the application please check for update from the flyout options on the application after clicking on three vertical dots. For step by step process please visit: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/download-install-app.html#Checkforupdates

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

9. Pg Up & Pg Down

Hi guys! I have a feature request. Usually the rule of thumb is if you can hotkey it or select it from a menu then you can build it into an action. There's one exception I've found.

Illustrator will respond to using the Page Up and Page Down keys on your keyboard to navigate your artboards. BUT it ignores these commands if you're recording an action.

We could make some really robust and powerful actions if we could program actions to navigate through the artboards. Please please please add this?

PS it would also be amazing if variables could navigate…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 100 artboards

Over 100 Artboards please. This has been talked about for 3 years now to no avail.

I'm creating UI and it requires more that 100 pages. Why are we being constrained?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    We are pleased to inform you that your request is available in the latest release of Illustrator version 22.0.
    Visit your Adobe Creative Cloud Application and update. If you do not see an update on the application please check for update from the flyout options on the application after clicking on three vertical dots. For step by step process please visit: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/download-install-app.html#Checkforupdates

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

11. Illustrator Zeichenflächen

Es wäre wünschenswert, mehrere Zeichenflächen gleichzeitig markieren zu können. Außerdem mehrere ausgewählte zeichenflächen gleichzeitig verschieben zu können oder über das Ausrichten Werkzeug oder Koordinaten organisieren zu können.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Cannot relink the image

In the adobe illustrator app, I tried to relink the image but it didn't work, as shown in the videos I posted below. Can you solve this bug, please?

Thank you

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Feedback on Enhaced Cloud Document Feature (in Beta now)

Now, embed Photoshop cloud documents into your cloud documents and files. You will be able to select your Photoshop cloud documents in a new cloud picker in the Place dialog.

Track the status of individual cloud documents, through the Cloud Sync icon in your CDO.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Guides with option to limit to single artboard

It would be great to have an option to limit guides pulled out from the ruler to be limited to the currently active artboard - rather than run across the whole canvas. This would avoid unwanted guides falling across every artboard in the document.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Ability to create a new document

I want to create a new document and not one from a template. Please add "Create New Bank Document".

I use this for mobile games and don't think it's fair I have to revert back to Legacy to just create a quick ai file to edit and go.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Bring back "hide edges" for type within a paragraph

I used to be able to select a line of type, hide edges, and then view how various fonts looked (without seeing the type bar that show's it's selected). Not being able to do this has greatly slowed down my process. Please bring back "Hide Edges" for selected type within a paragraph.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Separate rulers for art boards

Could we get individual rulers per art board. This would make it easier to see spacing and relationships on individual boards.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. New document preset details fields tab order

When creating a new document in both Illustrator and Photoshop the Preset Details tab order is frustrating. It would make more sense to enter a width in the field then hit tab to go to height field. Currently it tabs from width to units to height.
    I often enter a width hit tab and enter what I think is a height only to find it's sitting on the units dropdown.
    InDesign has this tab order correct and is much more sensible.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. There's a weird bug that affects anchor points when aligning to an artboard.

There's a weird bug that affects anchor points when aligning to an artboard. It won't align in any way. PLEASE FIX

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base